WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Storing tent stakes

How do you store your stakes so that they are easy to access, easy to keep track of, and don't puncture your gear in your pack?

I just keep them in a small stuff sack along with other small misc tenting supplies like guy lines, ground sheet etc. I've never had problems with the points doing damage to anything. I often then keep the stuff sack rolled up in my tarp or tent roll, but not always.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

I keep mine in a ziplock in my campshoes.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I went to a fabric store, and I bought some cordura, which is a much tougher matieral, and then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine. (Trust me, I am not what you would call handy. I used a homemade speedy stitcher type of device for the seam sewing, inasmuch as I don't own a sewing machine.) The material is a little heavier, but I made the stuff sack just big enough to hold the stakes, so it was next to nothing extra for the weight over silnylon. While I was at it, I also made a sack for my trowel, since its edges are sharp enough that I was worried about it cutting through the outside mesh of my pack. (You can see the yellow handle sticking out.) The third is a rock throw sack, since I figured that rocks hitting the ground would quickly kill a lighter material.

20150331_174409.jpg

Journal Entries

I have 8 Vargo Ti stakes I drop in a ziplock which goes in the bottom of my exterior mesh pocket on my Catalyst.
    hikers gonna hike

JimmyJam made me a cuben fiber sleeve for my gutter nails. I made 2 shock cord bungie cords to hold my tent poles together in lieu of a sleeve for them. I strap my gutter nail sleeve to the poles with the shock cord. The poles go in my pack on one side and outside my trash compactor bag. They have not moved away from where I strap the to the poles yet. One tiny cuben fiber sleeve and two shock cords. That's how this gram weenie does it.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 08-29-2015 at 18:27.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I went to a fabric store, and I bought some cordura, which is a much tougher matieral, and then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine. (Trust me, I am not what you would call handy. I used a homemade speedy stitcher type of device for the seam sewing, inasmuch as I don't own a sewing machine.) The material is a little heavier, but I made the stuff sack just big enough to hold the stakes, so it was next to nothing extra for the weight over silnylon. While I was at it, I also made a sack for my trowel, since its edges are sharp enough that I was worried about it cutting through the outside mesh of my pack. (You can see the yellow handle sticking out.) The third is a rock throw sack, since I figured that rocks hitting the ground would quickly kill a lighter material.
    Love the DIY! I didn't realize you could just go and buy cordura! That QiWiz trowel looks awfully familiar! I store our trowel in the same small stuff sack as our spoons. As for the tent stakes - they get their own small stuff sack but end up rolled in with the tent or slid inside the larger tent stuff sack on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    That QiWiz trowel looks awfully familiar!
    I got the biggest one. Works great with the handle sticking out, so that I don't get any contact from the trowel or bag contents on it. The edge is sharp! That's why I decided to use a tougher fabric. So far, so good.

In a tiny stuff sack rolled up inside the tent alongside the folded tent pole.

Journal Entries

Small stuffsak in mesh pocket on pack

mine are in a tiny stuff sack inside the stuff sack for the tent poles. But if that will all fit inside the tent stuff sack, as Rafe mentioned, that will be great for me!

I just keep them in the little stuff sake that came with the tent and roll it up with the poles and tent.

2WWW makes a nice small tent stake bag with a reinforced bottom.

2QZQ That is.

I used tyvek to make a small sack just the right size to hold my stakes.

Either a home made tyvek sack thx to us post office or stick sharp points into the side of a small piece of cardboard and u can also wrap bear bag line around card board put in ziplock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Vegan Packer;1999130]I went to a fabric store, and I bought some cordura, which is a much tougher matieral, and then I stitched a custom stuff sack for mine.

20150331_174409.jpg/QUOTE]

What kind of thread did you use? (I'm gonna use your suggestion and make a rock bag)...

in the same bag as the poles

I went with Gutermann brand thread, made from either nylon or polyester, if I remember correctly. (Make sure to get a man made thread, not cotton.) They have one for outdoors or something like that--I can't remember the name. It is a heavier thread. It could go by outdoor upholstery thread. You can also Google it. I got the suggestion from some of the cottage backpacking manufacturers I have seen. Some even sell it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++