WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thanks for the links, I'll sift soon.

There is a good deal of information on creatine. Remember my weight - suggested load is 20g and maintenance is 10-12g for my size. The lowest dose recommended from small to mega-canisters that I found are 6g per serving (it goes higher per serving/labeling). I am taking 12g now (first week) which I don't think is loading entirely / and will take 6g a day thereafter. At minimum, I take a single dose about an hour before rigorous activity.

I am going to have to cut something back. I am uncertain I'll be able to add 4 days of stair training now. I will cut that to 3 days. Currently, I am still rather a bit beat as a rule.

Good to hear you are on the trail! Do you have a blog or Facebook log of your journeys you wish to share?

Hike on!

Journal Entries

So... basically, Eat veggies in town. Eat meat, grains, and sugars on the trail, aerobic(with oxygen for glycolosis) 30ATP, 6ATP in Anerobic exercise(when your working harder than your muscles can get an oxygen supply). And after a long day of hiking throwing in a few push-ups or some pull ups or even planks and some light leg stretching will help balance your muscles out and reduce some muscle stiffness and fatigue going from (plank to downward facing dog is great). Last sentence based on personal experience. Oh and with the aerobic/anerobic deal obviously anerobic is less effecient regardless of its reality so while hiking, pacing yourself to your "ACTUAL" fitness level will make you feel a lot better at the end of the day.

Journal Entries

Oh and H2O aka Water is essential for glycolosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Thanks for the links, I'll sift soon.

There is a good deal of information on creatine. Remember my weight - suggested load is 20g and maintenance is 10-12g for my size. The lowest dose recommended from small to mega-canisters that I found are 6g per serving (it goes higher per serving/labeling). I am taking 12g now (first week) which I don't think is loading entirely / and will take 6g a day thereafter. At minimum, I take a single dose about an hour before rigorous activity.

I am going to have to cut something back. I am uncertain I'll be able to add 4 days of stair training now. I will cut that to 3 days. Currently, I am still rather a bit beat as a rule.

Good to hear you are on the trail! Do you have a blog or Facebook log of your journeys you wish to share?

Hike on!
    Your overall weight isn't going to have much impact, it's lean body mass that matters. I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but it doesn't sound anywhere near correct. The loading data is pretty much universal, even including elite athletes at the peak of their genetic potential(natural) of muscle mass. There are literally hundreds of studies out there using this protocol, it's pretty much the standard.

6g per day will get you where you need to be though, but if you want more control once your product is consumed just get some cheap standalone monohydrate powder. Creapure products mix a bit better(truenutrition,ON,AtLargeNutrition to name a few that carry it), especially Optimum Nutrition's micronized version.

As for my hike, no blog or anything like that. I had a blast! When I got back I did some kayaking, ate a lot of great food .. good times!

Quote Originally Posted by AAhiker View Post
    The body will draw water(it carries a lot of it) from its stores if intake is insufficient for such processes. Outside the obvious fact that H2O is essential for just about all life functions, your body 'has your back' so to speak, in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by AAhiker View Post
    Not sure where this is coming from. Anaerobic glycolysis is balanced with not net production or consumption of water. In aerobic metabolism, there is always a net production of water. Oxidation of our food releases electrons which are then transferred to oxygen. The reduction of oxygen produces water (and is responsible for releasing most of our available energy). So water is a waste product of metabolism we have to get rid of. But even with all this excess water being produced, you still have to stay hydrated, because we also use water evaporation to cool the body, as all the reactions of metabolism release a lot of heat.

glucogenesis requires water to store the glucose in the first place, about 2-3g of water per g of carbohydrate. I figured that's what AA was getting at. So it is essential, albeit indirectly.

Hey Saimyoji (doc), I just read your post dated 26 Nov., '05 "Muscle Management". Great information for folks whom are considering a thru-hike. Some of the info I have been aware of, such as augmenting water with a sports drink. For example, on a long day hike I would have my 3 liter Camelbak filled with water and then a 20oz. GatorAide to sip on throughout the day understanding the importance of electrolytes. However, I have a question for ya, on a thru-hike, what would you recommend as a balance, water to electrolyte drink ratio. I realize there are a lot of variables that factor into that, but, just an idea. One other question if you would so inclined. Cytomox, formula drinks, should that be consumed before one sets out for the six month journey or, durring it? Or, both before and during? I hope your still around to answer this for us. Thanks, Longrange.

Don't know if is applicable to this thread, but I have used tonic water with quinine to stop cramps. A few ounces will stop the cramp(s) in a few minutes. (Makes a good mixer, too! )

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

mom said when i was little "eat bananas"
    whenever i hit town i can hear that ring in my head
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    and Tomaters too!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    For a good source of potassium, try potato chips. They are loaded with potassium. Along with the sodium in the salt, they are a good way to build up your electrolyte levels on a hot day.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    For a good source of potassium, try potato chips. They are loaded with potassium. Along with the sodium in the salt, they are a good way to build up your electrolyte levels on a hot day.
    Nice! good one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    and Tomaters too!
    since when do you have to tell a jersey boy to eat tomatoes
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    I don't know if your post is a sarcastic post, because chips are alway listed as a "junk food" and almost always grouped with sodas. However, I do eat tons of chips and even sometimes that's all I eat for breakfast. Basically they're just dehydrated potatoes, provided you buy the ones with an ingredient listing of just a few words that would make-up a small sentence. The ones I eat usually only have potatoes, oil (various types) and salt. The breakfast of champions

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I don't know if your post is a sarcastic post, because chips are alway listed as a "junk food" and almost always grouped with sodas. However, I do eat tons of chips and even sometimes that's all I eat for breakfast. Basically they're just dehydrated potatoes, provided you buy the ones with an ingredient listing of just a few words that would make-up a small sentence. The ones I eat usually only have potatoes, oil (various types) and salt. The breakfast of champions
    No sarcasm intended, John. I was out of the hospital a few days after being treated with diuretics. They warned me that I might feel weak as my potassium levels dropped from the medication(s). I was driving when I started to feel weak. I stopped at a local news stand that sold snack foods and bought a small bag of chips and a 8 ounce bottle of apple juice. Both are loaded with potassium. Chips have twice as much potassium as sodium. About 10 minutes after eating the chips and juice, I felt great.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-12-2012 at 14:44.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++