WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trails near Seattle

I'll be going to Seattle soon and am looking for a laid back, relaxing, 3 day, 2 night hike somewhat nearby. I was recommended the Wonderland Trail, which looks amazing but quite a bit long and we likely won't be able to get reserved at this time. I found www.wta.org which looks like an amazing resource, but it doesn't really show the trails much, and most are overnighters. I assume some can be combined, but having a hard time with that.

I'm guessing somewhere 15 to 20 miles long, averaging about 5 to 7 miles a day, maybe a max of 8/9 miles for a single day if well worth it. Does any one here have some recommendations?

Images

Consider the PCT north out of Snoqualimie Pass into the Alpine Wilderness. One of the coolest areas I have ever hiked. the second picture is Kendall's Catwalk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's good things in the Cascades and Olympics. But yes, I would probably recommend out-and-back, either north or south from Snoqualmie Pass. North is more spectacular.

Go west young man....across Puget sound to Olympic peninsula. Take you pick of outrageously gorgeous coastline, dripping deep green old growth rain forest, or glaciated mountain hiking at Olympic NP.

I'm finding a lot of trails on wta.org in the Snoqualmie area, but without a map I'm having a hard time finding a way to plan a trip with water and camping. I'll be getting a map of the trail we choose once we get to Seattle and stop at a local store, I don't think shipping will get here in time. Also I'm seeing I'll need a Northwest Forest Pass, are those hard to get? Initially we were going to do some hiking in Rainier National Park, but without reservations that feels risky, although much more information is provided.

This one was looks particularly good, but about 7 miles short for a three day trip, http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/snow-lake-1 - Kendalls Catwalk also looked pretty nice, and at 12 miles sounds like a nice relaxed hike, so that has certainly made the list.

Kendall Katwalk is often a dayhike, albeit with some elevation gain. I did it with a group recently as an overnight, staying a Ridge Lake, about 6-1/2 miles in.
    NW Forest Pass: look online, there are various places that sell them, sometimes gas stations en route to well known trailheads, that sort of thing.

A 3-day, 2-night trip somewhat close by that I like is the Cathedral Rock loop. Exit 80 off of I-90, drive north past Salmon La Sac to the Tucquala Meadow trailhead. Take trail #1345 to do the loop clockwise, connect to the PCT at Cathedral Pass, hike the PCT north to Deception Pass, then turn right onto the Hyas Lake trail to complete the loop. Optionally climb up to Tuck and Robin Lakes shortly after you make that turn; Tuck & Robin were featured (cover picture) of a recent Backpacker magazine.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

P1100097.JPG

It was quite an amazing hike but we ended up bailing out after the first night due to some moderate-severe hypothermia situation we got ourselves into. For more pictures and the full story, check out my blog post: http://www.timbeaudet.com/blog/2015/09/04/hypothermia/

The views out that way are spectacular, the PCT was already on my want to do list, but now I'm watching for the opportunity to do it.

If I can ever get through editing the video and pics, and then if I can figure out how to upload them for viewing, I just got back from backpacking in Washington, a few weeks ago.

Hike #1 was Mount Baker, in the North Cascades region. You can go up to campsites near the Easton Glacier (see pic below) for an overnight. Surprisingly, I found the ascent not to be bad at all, and I am an overweighted newbie. That hike was two days, and you can do it at a relaxing pace.

Glacier.jpg

Hike #2 was in Olympic, to Enchanted Valley. That one took four days, and I was disappointed. If I had gone another day in, that would have been a better hike, but I didn't have the time. Also, even though there wasn't much of a change in overall altitude, the constant ups and downs wore me out a lot more than I had expected.

Hike #3 was the Spray Park-Seattle Park-Wonderland Trail Loop, starting from Mowich Lake, in Mount Rainier National Park. Three days, which fits your time schedule. (However, you have to get a pass to do this trail, and that can take months.) I wouldn't exactly call it an easy hike, especially for someone like myself, but it had some of the most amazing scenery, and it was worth the effort.

.GOPR1809.jpg

I didn't really do anything on the coast, but that has a lot of appeal to many. I already live on the "right coast," so I was looking for something away from that area. I can't really comment on hikes in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    Hike #3 was the Spray Park-Seattle Park-Wonderland Trail Loop, starting from Mowich Lake, in Mount Rainier National Park. Three days, which fits your time schedule. (However, you have to get a pass to do this trail, and that can take months.) I wouldn't exactly call it an easy hike, especially for someone like myself, but it had some of the most amazing scenery, and it was worth the effort.
    The loop trail that includes Spray Park and Seattle Park is the "Mother Mountain Loop." Except in unusual circumstances, you can get a walk-up permit. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had no trouble getting exactly the camps I wanted. There are enough camps close to the loop that there is usually at least one opening.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird04217 View Post
    I'll be going to Seattle soon and am looking for a laid back, relaxing, 3 day, 2 night hike somewhat nearby. I was recommended the Wonderland Trail, which looks amazing but quite a bit long and we likely won't be able to get reserved at this time. I found www.wta.org which looks like an amazing resource, but it doesn't really show the trails much, and most are overnighters. I assume some can be combined, but having a hard time with that.

I'm guessing somewhere 15 to 20 miles long, averaging about 5 to 7 miles a day, maybe a max of 8/9 miles for a single day if well worth it. Does any one here have some recommendations?
    I realize that your hike is over, but I have a suggestion for the next time you visit Western Washington. Consider hiking the PCT through the Goat Rocks Wilderness. You can't beat the scenery.

Here is a link to my photo journal: https://plus.google.com/photos/112968072096587968801/albums/6051912235782281633?hl=en

Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I realize that your hike is over, but I have a suggestion for the next time you visit Western Washington. Consider hiking the PCT through the Goat Rocks Wilderness. You can't beat the scenery.

Here is a link to my photo journal: https://plus.google.com/photos/112968072096587968801/albums/6051912235782281633?hl=en

Great pics. Looks like a really nice hike.

Indeed those are some amazing pictures, I'll keep that in mind if I can extend another business trip again, and that it rather likely!

++ New Posts ++