WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Strassburg Sock & Plantar Fasciitis

This is a brief post on my struggles with a case of plantar fasciitis over the past six weeks or so since returning from about 900 miles on the PCT. I did not have plantar fasciitis on the trail and health had nothing to do with getting off trail. However, as soon as I returned from the hike, I had the brilliant idea of starting an aggressive marathon training plan. For the first few days I was simply slow (as usual after a hike) but then I noticed some heel pain. Just tough it out, right? Not such a good idea. I could barely walk after that week's 12 mile Saturday long run. In subsequent days I could barely run a few miles let alone consider training for a fall marathon. I would take multiple rest days only to see limited improvement totally offset with just a brief 3-4 mile run. I started taking up biking to keep in some semblance of decent shape. Meanwhile, I kept eating like a thru hiker and my fitness level suffered.

A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to research the issue in more detail and I found the Strassburg Sock online through a post in a running forum (http://thesock.com/). I started wearing it every night about a week ago and it has made an enormous difference! My calf soreness is entirely gone and my heel is not painful in the morning, and only a little sore after a 4 mile run. I went on a nine mile hike on Saturday with no ill effects. In addition to wearing the sock at night, I've been rolling the base of my foot on a tennis ball while I sit at my desk and I've been icing the foot several times a day.

My plan is to ramp up my running very slowly with runs every other day and cycling on the days I don't run. I feel like I should be fine in three weeks when I have a multiweek hike planned.

I thought this might help others dealing with PF. It is by far the most frustrating running related ailment that I've ever had.

(I have no connection to Strassburg Sock other than buying one recently)

Journal Entries

My husband needs this. Thanks for the link and report of your experience.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I used a Strassburg Sock to deal with Achilles Tendinosis... it helped immensely

Images

I had a very similar experience after my PCT hike as I was training for a high mile event. I used a brace that kept my foot basically in the same position as this device while sleeping at night. I also cut way back on my training and the problem went away. I increased the training and continued with the brace until I finally stopped using it completely. So, in a way I fully agree with the path you're on.

Images

The sock helped me get over it, along with the stretches and "Heel that Pain" pads in my shoes.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Another tip for pf is to tape your arch before bed or use a wrap. Basically, you are just pulling up on the arch by taping around the arch and top of foot. It worked for me and was easier to sleep in than the Strasburg sock.

ccartertn

Not to be catty, this is a serious question: How do you know your improvement wasn't due to the $2 tennis ball and free ice, and not the $40 pair of socks?

Quote Originally Posted by cutter View Post
    Not to be catty, this is a serious question: How do you know your improvement wasn't due to the $2 tennis ball and free ice, and not the $40 pair of socks?
    Good point as I think ice, rehab, and rest are best cure. However, my experience was that the morning soreness went away almost immediately when I wrapped my arch before bed. I didn't want to spend the money on the sock so my research led me to this.

ccartertn

Journal Entries

I read through several Amazon customer reviews of the product. It was common for people to say they had tried many different things, but had the quickest relief through use of the sock. I bought a sock yesterday ($40 for one sock, not a pair, btw) even though it's overpriced because I feel that the cost/benefit is potentially better with the sock than with other options. We have a trip scheduled to Maine in a few weeks, and don't have months to invest in slower therapy. If the sock works, we will be happy.

I am currently dealing with a mild case of this on my right foot so far this website has been very helpful.

http://www.ronjones.org/Handouts/PlantarFasciitis.pdf

I purchased the footlog stick to massage my feet with and a compression sock. I found while the sock offers support, it hasn't improved my PF. For the most part I have found that rest (no hiking or running), using the stick to manipulate and stretch the ligaments in my foot, many stretches of the foot throughout the day and icing when inflamed have helped. I think I got the PF from a combination of not switching out my older sneakers and a long drive from NH to TN and back.

I am hoping that it will heal in the next month or so. I can't afford to have this foot in a boot since it is my driving foot.

HTH

That is a very good point. The answer is I really can't say for sure. To find out for sure, I would have had to do a controlled experiment on myself changing only one variable at a time. With a trip coming up, and being super frustrated not being able to get out and run (which I look forward to every day), I did a bunch of stuff at roughly the same time (tennis ball and ice a few days before the sock). So who knows.

++ New Posts ++