WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Viewing Pictures

How do I do a search for pictures specific to a place, event, etc on WB? After viewing some of GrouchMark's pics of Linville Gorge I want to see more pics from WBers of LV.

My second question is, although I'm not sure if it should be posted in this same forum, what must I experience in the Linville Gorge area? I'll be in GSMNP/Gatlinburg area for two wks in mid to late Aug doing trail work and some hiking. Then, I want some additional hiking suggestions. Inspire me with your LV experiences, pics, trip reports, recs, insider tip suggestions, etc that I must take in as much of LV as possible. What don't I want to miss? I want to be physically challenged on a multi night at LV. Give me what you got.

Images

Hey Dogwood, I have not been to Linville Gorge myself, but maybe some of Shug's videos might be useful for you.

2013 in 6 parts

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

And 2014 in 3 parts.

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

WhiteBlaze search is difficult to use. I suggest using Google as follows:

type the following into google search:

site:WhiteBlaze.net "search term"

so in this case:

site:WhiteBlaze.net "Linville Gorge"

That should return a lot of links. If you want pictures click on the images tab in Google. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing the Shug vids. In his 2013 Part 4 video at minute 8:00 he runs into the Florida Mafia and the same group I ran into on a recent backpacking trip in the Citico wilderness which is far from Linville Gorge.

Here is the Florida Mafia in Cold Spring Gap on the BMT in Citico wilderness.

Shug likes to yell and sing and it's something I used to do quite a bit until I started calling and bringing in stray hunting dogs which are a real pest and so I stopped yelling so much.

I used to backpack the Gorge a bunch back in the 1980's before the Tent Police instituted a bunch of regulations with required reservations and the worst reg of all: Only 2 nights and 3 days allowed, period. This sort of ruins a 21 day backpacking trip. So the Gorge is off limits for my kind of trips.

BTW, I had a buddy go into the Gorge in 1982 and he was part of an Appalachian State University backpacking group and I saw him off at the van as he left Boone for the gorge with several other people. Unfortunately he developed an aneurysm while in the gorge and had to have an involved rescue but he passed away 8 months later after being in a coma. See---

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,1774745&hl=en

Thx Tuckahoe for sharing Shug's Linville Gorge(LG) Grand Loop trip. Last time I saw him on the AT he was eating one of those Spam meals too. Yeah, I know he was actually a clown. It shows. He is so over the top goofy at times.

From what I understand so far the LG is only some 40 miles of trails. Sure some primitive and strenuous trail hiking but some of it also rather easy/easier. Maybe some backtracking involved too. But, 3 days 2 nights, perhaps a night or two staying outside the gorge permit area and coming back in for a day hike or two a LG Loop of about 25-35 miles at a very moderate pace and daily mileage should make for a fine overall hike of Linville Gorge IF it is indeed a backpacking trip one is mainly seeking and not a homesteading mainly in camp/camping experience.

I dig Shug!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Shug is hilarious! I get the general impression that he's never off stage, though, and hiking with him would be ... exhausting.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

It's been well over 10 years since I hiked the Linville Gorge on a weekend backtrip with my daughter. What I remember was a great camp site at Little Table Rock and of course the view from (Big) Table Rock.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++