WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Waynesboro to Luray

In the next week or so Im heading out for a section hike through SNP. How are the water sources from Waynesboro to Luray? Can I check in with SNP rangers to find out of any recent bear sightings too? Also any advice about the area or terrain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboslice View Post
    In the next week or so Im heading out for a section hike through SNP. How are the water sources from Waynesboro to Luray? Can I check in with SNP rangers to find out of any recent bear sightings too? Also any advice about the area or terrain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    recent bear sightings? you mean like within the past 5 minutes?

you're in all likelihood going to see bears. whether you see that as a good or bad thing, prepare yourself for it.

hey Jimbo

I just hiked that same section NoBo last week of April, got off the trail at Thornton Gap. I really liked that section, the AT passes near some SNP Waysides and SNP resorts and campgrounds. Didn't see any bear in late April, but saw a lot of deer, particularly near Big Meadows. Water was not a problem in late April, there were plenty of creeks and springs along the way, and you can always get water at the campgrounds, picnic areas or waysides. IMO the trail in this section is some of the easiest graded trail along the AT in Virginia, there's the occasional very rocky section. Enjoy the hike. I"m hoping by next spring to get back up there and finish VA from Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry.

++ New Posts ++