WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp Tenting For Dummies

Okay, so in my effort to simplify, lighten my load, and get out of my comfort zone a little more (or in to it a little more depending on your view of tarping it) I am looking to get some tarp practice in with a bug-bivy shelter that I just acquired today. I have never slept outdoors without a tent so this is going to be interesting... (I've also never walked 2,000 miles in one trip, either. But one of these things seems easier than the other.)

Do you set up a tarp head/feet in to the wind or side to the wind?

Is there a certain pitch angle for an A-frame setup that will cover most circumstances or is it always adjusted depending on conditions?

If it's pulled tout around (such as around a bug-bivy) to reduce wind, is interior/underside condensation on the tarp still an issue like it is in tents?

Seems like a rectangular setup would work better in colder weather than a diamond setup. Is that assumption correct or is it just a matter of preference?

What else should a complete tarp beginner know when he is just starting to experiment with a tarp?

Tarps seem like a great option for those that know what they're doing, and I'd like to learn all that I can in the time between now and March rather learning on the trail, so any insight and advice is much appreciated!

Help me, Rhonda. Help me, help me, Rhonda...

Some of you might be too young to get that reference, so... BUMP!

You should set up your tarp to block as much wind as possible. Assuming you have a rectangular tarp, you would set it up lengthwise over your bivy to give the most weather protection. You want to leave space above the bivy to allow some airflow, but not too much, to where it catches any breeze. Pitching the bottoms a few inches off of the ground in windy areas (where you don't want to catch a breeze) will work best with your setup. If you do want a breeze and want an area protected from rain, you can use trekking poles to set it up in "porch mode", meaning that one side is elevated up high and the other side is close to the ground. The options really are endless.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Yeah, there are a lot more options than the simple A frame. Check out SGT Rock's site for a few more ideas.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    You should set up your tarp to block as much wind as possible. Assuming you have a rectangular tarp, you would set it up lengthwise over your bivy to give the most weather protection. You want to leave space above the bivy to allow some airflow, but not too much, to where it catches any breeze. Pitching the bottoms a few inches off of the ground in windy areas (where you don't want to catch a breeze) will work best with your setup. If you do want a breeze and want an area protected from rain, you can use trekking poles to set it up in "porch mode", meaning that one side is elevated up high and the other side is close to the ground. The options really are endless.
    Did you use a tarp with any of the Iguana's? If so, what was your best set up? Ridgeline from a tree or trekking poles or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Yeah, there are a lot more options than the simple A frame. Check out SGT Rock's site for a few more ideas.
    Holy smokes! Those are a lot of options... Only one or two I can use with a bug bivy for rain protection, but it certainly gives me some ideas.

Something I didn't think to ask about until today, do tarps have condensation issues like some tents? Or is that alleviated by the ability of air being able to flow better?

My bivy should arrive tomorrow, giving me a decent weekend to start practicing.

I used a tarp with the iguanas that I had. What I did was find some trees about 10ft apart and ran a ridgeline up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by g00gle View Post
    Something I didn't think to ask about until today, do tarps have condensation issues like some tents? Or is that alleviated by the ability of air being able to flow better?
    Yes! Read this article to better understand condensation -- http://windowoutdoors.com/WindowOutd...0Radiation.htm
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

++ New Posts ++