WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Xlite gips you on the width. A better choice, for a few more ounces, is the Trekker.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have the x lite mummy and I have had no problems to this point with it.

I wanted to shave weight with it, was comfortable and it seems to be holding up well.

I have lost faith with BA pads they work for a while and fail when you need it the most ie, winter.

I store all my pool floats hanging upside down, valve open. Had to get used to the small size but one thing I do like is that it inflates to 2.5'' as opposed to others that are 3, 3.5, or 4. why not just make it 6 and call it a day.

I have tried ccf and my hips will not go for that. As far as the potatoe chip sound, mine does not have it.

I have to sleep well, and it seems to do that.

I do in shelters double layer polycro sheets under neath to protect it.

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    You seem to be going for lowest weight. Best sleep for me is the large neo-air.
    I have also chased the lowest weight. I used the neoair 47" for 30-35 nights. I'm a tosser and turner and ended up half on and half off the pad. I literally ended up rolling off my pad and slept in the dirt many nights.

The inflated 47" neoar is 17" wide and just didn't work for me. It wasn't the length that got to me. It was the width.

I've used the extra long/wide neoair and it is a better fit. It is about 22" wide inflated. I made up the 8 oz difference by ditching tent poles. I was also a habitual extra water carrier. Cutting back on 8 oz of water can made up the difference.

I don't do sleep deprivation well and have concluded that a good night's sleep trumps the lowest weight gear.

However, a lot of people sleep great on the 17" wide pad. So your mileage may/will vary. And given this is hiking... that is both literally and figuratively true.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mudsock View Post
    Both the short and regular versions of the Xlite are the same width - pretty narrow.

Not exactly.
    The bottom width of the short pads is the same, but on the short pad it occurs at hips, not feet. So the short pad is narrower where your torso lays, than the regular is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    You seem to be going for lowest weight. Best sleep for me is the large neo-air. At a one ounce heavier, second system, is a klymit torso under a z-rest sol. Three breaths and it is ready to go, and I use the z-rest constantly at breaks and in camp. Just picked up a wide WallyWorld blue pad to try with the Klymit torso as the z-rest can be a bit narrow for me. If it works I will try a hot knife to accordian it.
    I do want the lightest weight gear but I know that it has to serve my needs and preferences. Today I found a shop with sea to summit pads and oh man are they nice! The fabric texture and feel as well as the comfort was the best so far. They are just enough wider than the neo air that my arms can stay on! Now the question is will the uninsulated light pad with an R of 0.70 be the best choice or a heavier pad with an R of 3+ For 3 season use?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++