WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    My most memorable snake encounter over the years was at the Sugar Cove site the smokies (Gabes mtn), just after crossing the creek into the cove, a large black rat snake stood up like a cobra and hissed at me; One of the freakiest things I've seen and somewhat traumatizing.lol
    Hey Patman, I saw a similar sight on the Big Stack Gap trail several years ago---

And for backpackers who are really paranoid, get these---

Six ounces each from Turtleskin.

Section Hiker

Great info, everyone, thank you! Looking very forward to our trip next week!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    I'm not into holistic medicine. BUT, I worry about my German Shepherd when hiking. He is very inquisitive. Can't get or afford anti venom and when you can't get to a vet really fast there is not really much need to go. I read some articles about holistic medicine that seems to prevent really serious damage when a rattler hits. I carry the inexpensive pills in my cars and packs all the time now. Do not know if they will work as I have read and really do not want to find out. But, at least I'll try something rather than hope he is not killed. I will not provide the names of the pills because there are several supposedly holistic medicines out there. Might pay everyone that is worried about snakes to google holistic remedies.
    FWIW,my wife has her little dog vaccinated for snakebite annually.Dog got the shot on Monday and then received a pretty good bite from a rattler on Friday.It worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    FWIW,my wife has her little dog vaccinated for snakebite annually.Dog got the shot on Monday and then received a pretty good bite from a rattler on Friday.It worked!
    Interesting. I've read about the vaccination. The general consensus from "experts" in the east is that it does not work because it was developed in the west for a particular western rattle snake. Also, it supposedly does not work for cottonmouths. Your experience is a much better argument for the vaccine than the "expert" reasoning.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Interesting. I've read about the vaccination. The general consensus from "experts" in the east is that it does not work because it was developed in the west for a particular western rattle snake. Also, it supposedly does not work for cottonmouths. Your experience is a much better argument for the vaccine than the "expert" reasoning.
    So I asked the wife today what she paid and she said it was $52 for the shot and the booster.The snake that bit the little lap dog was likely a rattlesnake like we have here in Central Ga.And judging for the bite marks,the snake was a healthy sized adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    So I asked the wife today what she paid and she said it was $52 for the shot and the booster.The snake that bit the little lap dog was likely a rattlesnake like we have here in Central Ga.And judging for the bite marks,the snake was a healthy sized adult.
    Thanks for the info. I'll explore it. I hike mostly in north Georgia and rattlers worry me more than cotton mouths because the cotton mouths are somewhat limited in their range, mostly but not always near water.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++