WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weather Georgia Sept

Greetings
    Does anyone know of a good historical weather website or other source to guestimate what the weather might be in Sept on the AT (Springer to Hog's Pen) based upon previous years.

Looking to start hiking the AT in sections and wondering what I might expect to find weather wise.

Thanks

TF

Expect hot and very humid weather. About the only variation is if it is raining that day or not.

In the past I have used the historical data available from the WeatherUnderground: http://www.wunderground.com/history

You can also try the National Weather Service, though their site takes more time to search and navigate.

Just remember to subtract 3-4 degrees per 1k feet of elevation difference, since most trail towns are in valleys and the trail mostly isn't.
    "Healthy, Free, The World Before Me, The Long Brown Path Before Me Leading Wherever I Choose." - Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

Very often, the end of September can be pleasant, especially if a front goes through. Just keep an eye on the forecast before you go regarding tropical activity.

Thanks for the assistance.

TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Definitely watch weather.....my first hike on the AT years ago was springer to Woody...,late September...froze my rear off in a 32 deg bag that had been stored compressed by some idiot!!!me...know ur gear!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the last 3 weeks of September are ideal. it's cooling off, highs in the low 80's, nights in the 60's or a little cooler. it is generally dry. sometimes September has almost no rainfall.

the weather to watch out for is if a hurricane or tropic storm blows through the panhandle, it can zip right up to the mountains a drop a lot of rain. but that is one year out of ten. mostly, it is one of the best times to be in that area.

September is transitional from Summer to Fall. Big difference between early Sept and late Sept.

Here is a link to our Weather Underground station history at Grassy Gap a couple of hundred yards from the trail at 3000' elevation. The link is for Sept 2014 but you can look back as far as 2012 by changing the year.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...0140930/mmonth

Thanks everyone. Great info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++