WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt. Washington to Pinkham Notch, time

How much time will it take an intermediate level hiker to hike down from Mt. Washington to Joe Dodge @ Pinkham Notch? Is a stop at Madison hut for an overnight advised or could one make it down reasonably well on a good weather day (tomorrow). My husband and his friend had to come off the summit due to weather on a section hike and have this very small piece to fill in.

Thank you. Gum

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    How much time will it take an intermediate level hiker to hike down from Mt. Washington to Joe Dodge @ Pinkham Notch? Is a stop at Madison hut for an overnight advised or could one make it down reasonably well on a good weather day (tomorrow). My husband and his friend had to come off the summit due to weather on a section hike and have this very small piece to fill in.

Thank you. Gum
    It is doable with an early start from Washington. Once you get down off the Osgood Ridge, it is very easy walking to Joe Dodge Lodge. In 2013, I walked from Mitzpah and arrived at Madison at 6:00 PM. With no space there, and no space at Valley Way tentsite, I just walked down to Rt 2 below. I used my headlight for 15 minutes before the highway. I took numerous breaks including 50 min at Mt Washington and 15 at Madison Hut. It is a beautiful trek.

Thank you--they won't be able to get to the top until nine via the auto road bus. Could you estimate how long it would take in hours to get to Pinkham, or to get Osgood. Thank you this is very helpful

Images

Thank you--they won't be able to get to the top until nine via the auto road bus. Could you estimate how long it would take in hours to get to Pinkham, or to get Osgood. Thank you this is very helpful
    Real rough guess is 5:30 PM at Osgood Campsite. Water from stream was good there. Washington to Madison Hut, not too tough. Madison Hut to Osgood CG was tough, but not as bad as Wildcats

Thanks so much. gum

That is a long day for someone not used to the rocks on the Gulfside. This is where the White Mountain Guide come in handy. Washington to Madison Springs hut is 4 hours 15 minutes. Madison Spring Hut to Great Gulf Trail Osgood Trail 3 hr- 40 minutes. Great Gulf Trail to Auto road via Madison Gulf Trail , 1 hr 10 minutes. Auto Road to Pinkham via Old Jackson Road 1 hr 20 minutes. Total 10 hour 25 minutes. Add in time for occasional breaks and you had better bring a headlamp.

Thank you, all very good.

Images

I think with a light day pack (with preparations for weather change - rain gear and warm shirt), they should be able to do it. It's always good to pack a light because one turned ankle can really slow things down. In the first post, these hikers are described as intermediate hikers, and have been hiking the Whites. Weather is a big factor here.

Yes, they have been hiking in the whites, but they aren't kids. We are middle aged folks, not exactly fast. But yes, they have hiked here. I actually broke a rib here last year, all too familiar. Hoping to be cautious, but also want to sew it up if do-able.

Thank you so much.

It will be interesting to hear how they did. Looks like a great day to try as long as the thunderstorms hold off and by mid afternoon they should be heading down below treeline. Nothing wrong with hiking with a headlamp and both the great gulf trail and auto road crossings make potential bail points.

I just did a full Presi Traverse 2 days ago. I would think for an intermediate hiker one day is more than doable. This time the whole traverse took 10.5 hours. A few years back when my wife and I backpacked it, the section you are talking about took us about 3/4 of day. Feel free to check out my Presi trip report for some partial recon. http://www.backpackingengineer.com/r...tial-traverse/

Thank you, everyone. I hope the weather held out. They took the van up to the top this morning and were able to get reservations at Madison. I don't know if he can text from there but I havent heard from them. Hopefully all went ok. I will post when I hear something.

Many thanks for all the input. Gum

Red seal, very enjoyable read, thanks!

Actually Redseal, they were hiking on the day of your traverse, perhaps the two people you passed were them?

Actually Redseal, they were hiking on the day of your traverse, perhaps the two people you passed were them?
    Could very well have been! Now I'm trying to go through all the the people I passed to try and remember if I passed 2 guys that looked like intermediate hikers...haha!

Haha ��. They've both sectioned the entire trail to Gorham, but the Whites are not really like any other part of the trail. The are experienced in most aspects... Just not as confident here. They are tired but came out from Madison around 2. All is well, and as stated, the weather was really perfect. Again, many thanks for the comments, all very, very helpful.

Gum

Haha ��. They've both sectioned the entire trail to Gorham, but the Whites are not really like any other part of the trail. The are experienced in most aspects... Just not as confident here. They are tired but came out from Madison around 2. All is well, and as stated, the weather was really perfect. Again, many thanks for the comments, all very, very helpful.

Gum
    Ahhh...I would not have seen them. I passed by Madison around 6:30AM. The winds were howling early!

++ New Posts ++