WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Newbie looking for advice

Hello, this will be my first time hiking the Long Trail. I've hardly done much long-distancing in my time...
    I've spent some time researching the LT, using this site and others, and I've purchased the waterproof map.
    I've noticed there are a few topics that aren't touched upon, from what I've seen, and I'm wondering....

1) what is the policy on personal cooking fires on the LT?

2) probably obvious, the usual bathroom procedure is bury it in a hole off the trail?

3) has anyone had any luck hiking the trail in teva/chaco sandals?

4) has anyone had any luck dumpster diving at resupply points?

5) how many people to a shelter or cabin before it is considered "full"?

Sorry if my questions are strange. I will post my gear list and supply plans shortly, when I get them straightened out, hopefully I can get some good advice/criticism.

Thank you!
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

I'd advise against this. May be illegal and definitely can portray a negative image of hikers to the community where you're doing this. If you can't afford to eat then you shouldn't be hiking recreationally, in my opinion.

5) how many people to a shelter or cabin before it is considered "full"?

Opinions vary greatly here. In general if there's visible room or the occupants begin making offers to shuffle over - there's room. If the occupants aren't willing to share - one person can really take over all the space and make it hellish on anyone who insists on cramping them up by coming in anyway.

Images

GreenThumb,

#!: Some of the trail traverses private land where camping and fires may be prohibited. Please refer to the Long Trail Guide for each section. At Shelters, please use only established fire rings for campfires. A personal cookstove should be no issue anywhere where camping is permitted.
    Please be sure to read the following Leave No Trace Guidelines...

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=57

#2 Bathroom, yes to the cat holes.

#3 Sandals. Be aware that the Long Trail can be filled with Toe Stumping Misery, but yes, some people do it. Also beware that this can be a VERY muddy trail.

#4 I cannot recommend dumpster diving in this area. The Inn at Long Trail sometimes has some stuff in their Hiker Box.

#5 I believe that the Long Trail Guide book lists capacities for the various shelters, but in the end I suppose that it is whatever people are willing to work out. I avoid shelters myself. Beware that some shelters on the Long Trail have a caretaker and a fee.

Thank you for asking.

Images

1. Generally ok in an existing fire ring. A homemade alcohol stove is ridiculously cheap and light, more controllable, and easier to cook on.

2. Yes, but most shelters have privies and you should use those to reduce impact.

3. Yes, we met a hiker last summer using Chacos. He seemed very happy.

4. Haven't tried it. Many of the towns are very small and don't have much selection of dumpsters. Most of the towns had a small grocery store, and prices seemed in line with other places (i.e., not wildly inflated).

5. The guidebook will list the max. Many of the shelters are tiny, with 4 small bunks - each bunk can nominally sleep two people, but you'd better really like each other. There are a few larger shelters, like Stratton Pond. Note that in a lot of places on the LT there is no camping other than at the shelters. In any case we tried to tent most night and used the shelters only when there were no tent sites due to terrain.

The LT was an interesting experience -- overall we had a great trip, though on a day-to-day basis the trail could be very challenging.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks everyone for the advice/tips so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post

I'd advise against this. May be illegal and definitely can portray a negative image of hikers to the community where you're doing this. If you can't afford to eat then you shouldn't be hiking recreationally, in my opinion.
    I'm sorry, Walkintom, I didn't mean to give the image of a sewer rat to fellow hikers or onlookers, it was just a precaution. And I understand where you're coming from, thank you.

Can you give me a quick explanation on making a DIY alcohol stove? Thank you.

Google fancy feast stove.

Or here's one of many videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajkt594Ruw

Thank you... any other generic tips for a first-time LT thru-hiker are appreciated!

When I realized that getting white gas on the LT was difficult, I built that catfood can stove shown in the video while I was in Williamstown. It cost me a dollar for the hole punch and 59 cents for the catfood. In no time at all I had a stove, and I used it for the entire trail. If I were to hike it again, I'd probably use the same stove. It's much nicer cooking on that than a campfire...no soot to clean off the bottom of your pot each time.

Excellent feedback, thank you, North Star. I watched the video Walkintom posted and now I'm considering bringing that along, instead of going with no stove, as I had intended.

++ New Posts ++