WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hiking with FAI

Default Hiking with FAI

Hi, I am wondering if any of you are hiking with FAI or hip impingement? I have recently been diagnosed with FAI and am slowly watching my backpacking life go down the tubes. So I could use the encouragement. I was wondering with you who have this and hike how do you manage the hip belt?
    Thanks

Journal Entries

Sorry to hear this. It might be easier to take if you were 20 years older, but mid-life, not so much.
    I'm a year older than you, and have undiagnosed hip pain. No reason to suspect FAI (had to google that, btw), probably just overworked muscles & tendons. I guess I figured assorted aches and pains are part of getting older - a part that we can hopefully reduce/correct or maybe even avoid by getting fit.
    By way of encouragement, I would suggest hiking with a group (if you're able to continue hiking at all) and depend on somebody else to carry some of your weight. Stick to easier trails, or shorter trips. But don't stay home. The wilderness needs you to steal out into the woods now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Sorry to hear this. It might be easier to take if you were 20 years older, but mid-life, not so much.
    I'm a year older than you, and have undiagnosed hip pain. No reason to suspect FAI (had to google that, btw), probably just overworked muscles & tendons. I guess I figured assorted aches and pains are part of getting older - a part that we can hopefully reduce/correct or maybe even avoid by getting fit.
    By way of encouragement, I would suggest hiking with a group (if you're able to continue hiking at all) and depend on somebody else to carry some of your weight. Stick to easier trails, or shorter trips. But don't stay home. The wilderness needs you to steal out into the woods now and then.
    Thanks: As to someone carrying some weight for me. I have a very loving husband who just grins and bears it. He is my beast of burden right now. . Before the injury my base weight was 9-9.5lbs so I am trying to get lighter to help both of us out.

Journal Entries

Out west you can use pack animals on many trails, like in the sierra. Llamas arent that rare.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

shave it off. it can be painful and a slow recovery, but its fairly successful with a return back to 100% with no pain. i know others who have done it...one is a hockey player
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++