WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Campsite just before Indian Grave Gap

Hi everyone. I am leading a trip in a couple of weeks and we are going to start at the Nolichucky River, and end at the Mountain Harbor Hostel. It's roughly 50 miles, and I have scheduled 5 full days, and one half day, of actual hiking. We will be going fairly low daily average mileage due to the fact we are flatlanders, and also so we can enjoy the scenery in a leisurely way.

Anyway, I am having a little trouble figuring out where we can camp the first night out of Nolichucky. There will be 6 tents.

There is a shelter within a few miles of town, but then we'd be behind pace right off the bat. I do see a campsite in my AT Guide around mile 348. There was water listed a mile before that. I am just wondering how big that site is. I also see that there may be camping right at Indian Grave Gap, but have read it is sketchy because it's right next to the road.

Can anyone give me some pointers for our first night out? If I can find a spot 8-10 miles north from Nolichucky River, that would be ideal. Then we could go for Cherry Gap Shelter for night 2.

Thanks in advance!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

After you leave Curly Maple Gap shelter there is no place large enough for 6 tents until you're about a half mile or so from Indian Grave Gap. It's something you'd have to look for - there is a faint trail that'll goes off to your right that leads to an area that will hold your party and that's it until Deep Gap (or Beauty Spot, if you want to brave the locals). If the leaves weren't on the trees you could see what looks like a half-dozen or so stumps sticking up but I doubt you can see them now.

If you miss it you can walk out to Indian Grave Gap and when you come down the stairs make a right on the gravel road and walk uphill until you see the spot I'm talking about on your right.

Get water at one of the 2 creek crossing a mile north of Curley Maple Gap shelter.

Images

Thanks, 10-K, this is great info! We will aim for that site with the faint trail!

Journal Entries

Slackpack the first day, stay at uncle johnnys.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    After you leave Curly Maple Gap shelter there is no place large enough for 6 tents until you're about a half mile or so from Indian Grave Gap. It's something you'd have to look for - there is a faint trail that'll goes off to your right that leads to an area that will hold your party and that's it until Deep Gap (or Beauty Spot, if you want to brave the locals). If the leaves weren't on the trees you could see what looks like a half-dozen or so stumps sticking up but I doubt you can see them now.

If you miss it you can walk out to Indian Grave Gap and when you come down the stairs make a right on the gravel road and walk uphill until you see the spot I'm talking about on your right.

Get water at one of the 2 creek crossing a mile north of Curley Maple Gap shelter.
    10-K, I wanted to clarify...is the campsite you refer to in the last part about coming down the stairs and turning right, the same as the one in the first part of your paragraph that is off the AT on a faint trail?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Slackpack the first day, stay at uncle johnnys.
    Wish we could, but we are staying at Mt Harbor the night before we start, and catching a shuttle down to Erwin the morning we start the hike. I am looking forward to their breakfast, I hear it's amazing.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    10-K, I wanted to clarify...is the campsite you refer to in the last part about coming down the stairs and turning right, the same as the one in the first part of your paragraph that is off the AT on a faint trail?
    Yes, they're the same. If you miss the faint trail on the right just walk on out to the road. When you get to the gravel road you'll go down some stairs. Hang a right on the gravel road at the bottom of the stairs (don't cross the hwy) and walk up the road a short way. You'll see a clearing on the right with what looks like a bunch of stumps sticking up.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If it still in the same condition, the campsite just south of IGG is on a faint trail just above the trail tread on a faint path and connects to Shinbone forest road. There is a another site right at the first USFS 230 crossing if you need to spread out

Most of the campsites are somewhat on the small side until Beauty Spot. Other big sites before Iron Mtn Gap are Deep Gap, Unaka summit, Low Gap (maybe), Cherry Gap shelter, double back on forest road dead end @ IMG.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

We ended up passing the one with the faint trail (if it was the one that was in an opening at the dead end of a dirt road), and taking one closer to the road crossing. It was on the right, adjacent to the trail, and had plenty of room for 5 tents. We also found water there. You just turn right on the paved road and head down until the sharp right curve. At the curve, look to the left and you will see a little creek flowing.

Thanks for the advice.

++ New Posts ++