WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying a tent

Default Buying a tent

I'm thinking of one that has a balence between strength and weight, and I'm thinking I'm wanting a 2 person tent, one that will fit in most medium/large backpacks. The backpack Im leaning towards will be perhaps 50 or 60 meters in size, I'm not positive yet. My price limit will be 200 dollars, I'm hoping for something cheaper but I want a nice tent. I'll be very dependant on this item, it will be my primary source for shelter. If it falls apart or tears in bad weather it could be an enourmous hassle or even cut my trip short. I'll be going far on my trip, a few hundered miles. Not a thru hike but I still want to make a good investment. You guys know more about this than me so id love to hear what's being used by the more experienced hikers.

Look at Tarptents (it's a brand name), Six Moon Designs, and others like that. Solid tents, sturdy, plenty of options to choose from, light and compact when packed away.

A lot of people like Big Agnes and REI tents.

Whatever you get, it's probably going to have to be seam-sealed. Some manufacturers do it, some let you do it yourself.

Images

Like packs, you will find there is a lot of information that goes into choosing a tent, tarp-tent, etc.

I like my Big Agnes Flycreek UL 2. It is not a true "freestanding" tent because you have to use stakes to set some of the corners to get the full size out of the tent, but it works for me. Sets up fast and my pack fits inside with me. I love the vestibule because I can leave the stinky trailrunners outside without fear of them getting wet. This is a front entry tent (some are not fond of that feature), but I have never had an issue with rain getting in I go in and out of the tent.

Not within the $200 budget right this second, but there are lots of deals to be had out there. If you get this toward the end of the season, it will be a lot closer to your price range. https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...nt/FlyCreekUL2

Not sure if you use trekking poles, so I will ask if you use them. If you do, that opens up a lot more options for you within the tarp (think lightweight and pretty spacious) world.

Images

Your $200 budget for a 2 person tent may limit your options. It will atleast get you into some of the lesser weight larger company tents. But if you are able to up your tent budget a little bit, that can open you up to many more options In increasingly light weight tents with more cottage industry produced tents.

But for the under $200 range yo u can look at these --
    Eureka Spitfire 2 -- http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oryId=12864481

Kelty Gunnison 2 person -- http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oryId=12864481

Marmot Carbide 2 -- http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oryId=12864481

With these previous options though, you are looking at the 4 lbs + range

Six Moon Design Lunar Duo Outfitter -- https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents...l?redirected=1

Over $200 options
    Lightheart Gear Duo -- http://www.lightheartgear.com/index....eart-duo-tents

Tarp Tent Double Moment -- http://www.tarptent.com/double-moment.html

Tarp Tent Double Rainbow -- http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

Tarp Tent Squall 2 -- http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

Tarp Tent Stratospire 2 -- http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

One that is closer to your current price range is the LL Bean Microlight FS 2-Person Tent at $230.00. While not as lightweight as some of the options out there, it is a solid tent and does come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you do not like it, or have any issues with the tent, you can return it for a full refund. It has a vestibule, is freestanding, and it has a side entry.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80579...ductId=1337511

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    One that is closer to your current price range is the LL Bean Microlight FS 2-Person Tent at $230.00. While not as lightweight as some of the options out there, it is a solid tent and does come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you do not like it, or have any issues with the tent, you can return it for a full refund. It has a vestibule, is freestanding, and it has a side entry.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80579...ductId=1337511
    If you join LL Bean's email list you will get sale notices, 10% off coupons, $10 gift cards for spending $50, etc. Also, LL Bean has the best guarantee in the business: 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Period. Buy it & hate: get your money back. Buy it and weather blows it up, get a new one or your money back. Applies to everything LL Been sells.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

ps: I forgot to add: Always free shipping from LL Bean.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Here is a link to a comprehensive gear list that Bruce “Buck” Nelson used on a long trip across Alaska. I reckon any item that held up to that kind of trip must be pretty decent. Bruce used a TarpTent Squall.

http://bucktrack.com/Alaska_Backpack...st_Review.html

The Squall 2 is an updated version. http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    If you join LL Bean's email list you will get sale notices, 10% off coupons, $10 gift cards for spending $50, etc. Also, LL Bean has the best guarantee in the business: 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Period. Buy it & hate: get your money back. Buy it and weather blows it up, get a new one or your money back. Applies to everything LL Been sells.

Wayne
    Absolutely! Since the OP sounds like he is just getting his feet wet with backpacking, purchasing a tent from LL Bean might be the way to go. That way, he is not out anything (except a few days waiting for the tent) while he is feeling his way through the gear buying process. Kind a of no-loss way to go and the gear would not be collecting dust in a closet. For the record, LL Bean has a few decent tents to choose from...just keep an eye on the weights (as with any tent for backpacking!).

The upshot of a freestanding tent is that it requires no trekking poles to set it up and they are pretty straightforward and simple for starting out. Absolutely not knocking Tarp Tents at all! Just do not know if the OP has trekking poles, and getting things "just right" with a Tarp Tent might be a bit more than someone getting their feet wet might want to deal with.

Lots of good tips, I have a few questions before I look at these links....

Can anyone explain the difference between a tarp-tent and other tents? (if this means what I think it does I am planning on bringing a tarp seperate)

Whats the difference between a free standing tent, and other types? Does free standing just mean you don't secure it with stakes in the ground?

I like the idea of securing the tent to the ground, wouldn't this make it less prone to blowing away in bad weather?

Also what are trekking poles used for?

Might sound like stupid questions, I haven't camped in a long time. I absolutely love hiking though so I have high hopes for this trip. In fact I just found out I live about 3 miles from the AT here in Madison County. I live very close to the Tennessee state line so the terrain here has been ideal for practice. When I've hiked around here I've walked 5 miles out and 5 miles back much of the time, so I'm used to the hiking part, the backpacking and camping part is what I'm learning now. I'm looking forward to this trip next year so I'm loading my mind with information early.

LL Bean sounds nice BTW, I recognize the company for having quality items. If I have to up my budget a little I can

Like I said above, Tarptent is a brand name.

Learn the difference between single-wall and double-wall tents and decide which you'd rather use. A tarp is a whole different thing, and setup takes a lot of practice and experience to be comfortable and dry in inclement weather.

I've often thought about bringing a separate small tarp, but always leave it at home because it's extra weight that is just redundant if you've got a tent.

Free standing means you don't need stakes in the ground. Handy for New England and places where you're required to set up on tent platforms. I'd still stake my tent down if I could.

Trekking poles are a whole new can o' worms. LOL Start another thread for that discussion. I always use them, a lot do, many don't.

Images

To add to what Rocket Jones said... Free standing tents also come with tent poles (often connected into a one-piece tent pole structure these days) and allow for quick and easy setup. These tents do come with stakes - You can just choose whether or not to use them.

There is nothing wrong with getting back into backpacking/camping! Many of us have been there and the gear has come a long way. It can absolutely be overwhelming to look at all the equipment that is now available. The good news is that much of it has been made lighter in weight, for a much happier backpacking experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikenet7482 View Post
    Lots of good tips, I have a few questions before I look at these links....

Can anyone explain the difference between a tarp-tent and other tents? (if this means what I think it does I am planning on bringing a tarp seperate)

Whats the difference between a free standing tent, and other types? Does free standing just mean you don't secure it with stakes in the ground?

I like the idea of securing the tent to the ground, wouldn't this make it less prone to blowing away in bad weather?

Also what are trekking poles used for?

Might sound like stupid questions, I haven't camped in a long time. I absolutely love hiking though so I have high hopes for this trip. In fact I just found out I live about 3 miles from the AT here in Madison County. I live very close to the Tennessee state line so the terrain here has been ideal for practice. When I've hiked around here I've walked 5 miles out and 5 miles back much of the time, so I'm used to the hiking part, the backpacking and camping part is what I'm learning now. I'm looking forward to this trip next year so I'm loading my mind with information early.
    Free standing tents don't require staking out to keep their shape. Not usually a big deal unless you encounter frozen solid ground which can occur as far south as GA or AL. If you cant get stakes in the ground then you have to find rocks and log to use. Also if you want to change tent location due to an unnoticed widow maker you can just unsteak and move a free stander very easily.All from personal experience.

Trekking poles are like ski poles that help reduce stress on your joints while hiking. You can also use them to set up tarps and other non freestanding shelters....and fend off black bears. I find them invaluable.

Journal Entries

Just realized you specified a 2 person tent. Removed my post regarding a deal on a 1 person tent. Good luck.
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 06-28-2015 at 20:44.

Hello Mikenet. As a few others have recommended, i would look at the Tarptent products. I know you wanted a 2 person tent, but may i ask why? I would look at tarptent's Protrail tent as its close to your budget @$209, but its only a 1 person tent. I've use an older version called the contrail and it fits me fine (I am 6'3" 235). And as Venchka has linked, look at the bucktrack website, colter has a great site with links to gear info. As for a pack look at what he recommends or check out gossamer gear's Mariposa.

Freestanding tent: A skeleton of poles, aluminum-carbon fiber-fiberglass (forget fiberglass), is used to suspend the body of the tent (floor & roof) and then a separate, waterproof covering (called the tent fly) is attached over the pole skeleton to keep rain out. NO freestanding tent is free staying. The slightest breeze will send the tent rolling and bouncing across the countryside. Been there. Watched a brand new tent shred itself on a cement street. The fly & vestibule coverings need to be guyed out and stacked tightly to hold the whole shelter in place, stop the fabric from flapping and making a racket.
    Ultralight tents from TarpTent, Lightheart Gear, Six Moon Designs, zpacks & others, offer tents supported by trekking poles (adjustable hiking sticks) since many/most people use them anyway so a bit of weight is saved. These companies also sell conventional poles to support their tents. Trekking poles are not required. TarpTent also offer tents with poles that don't require trekking poles. I'm in the market for a tent to use for backpacking & bikepacking. I'm looking very closely at the TarpTent Rainbow & Moment.
    One last piece of tent trivia. There are two ways of setting up a tent. Freestanding: The NON-waterproof body and poles go up first & then the waterproof outer fly goes over the poles and body.
    TarpTent, Hilleberg, maybe others, tents are put up with the waterproof fly & body connected. The interior of the tent is always protected.
    Now, it's late. You've been on the trail all day. It's raining. Which tent would you rather be setting up? And also taking down if it is raining?
    Google can find a ton of videos explaining all of this. TarpTent.com has videos showing how to pitch each of their tents.
    Study well.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

The Section Hiker web site has reviews of a zillion items of backpacking gear. Also Outdoor Gear Lab.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I'll sell you my Kelty Red Cloud 90L backpack for $150! It's a Medium/Large and I've had it less than a year--still in great condition. I live in Central VA though.

Okay, I'm getting a little closer to understanding all of this. Looks like I have a selection of Tarps, Tarp-Tents, or Tents. Tarps being the lightest option, then Tarp-Tents, Then Tents being the heaviest acording to this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2tU1Iszbo

Tarps for me are out of the question, it might be light but doesn't offer full protection, openings in the back and front can alow bugs, wind, and rain in. That sounds best for desert hiking.

I'm leaning towards either a Tarp-Tent or light tent, since I said I wanted to get something that's reasonable in weight, The mid option of a Tarp-Tent might be the way to go, I looked at the website provided here and like what I'm seeing, they don't look hard to setup. I've ruled out freestanding tents as well, I want something secured to the ground as well as possible. These Tarptents appear to be adjustable in height if it gets windy, it would be smart to make the tent low profile in the wind. I want to learn to use trekking poles, they seem to be multipurpose. Apart from my typos here I'm very smart and eager to learn, I've done complicated things such as building my own computers, and learning guitar, among other things. Once I learn somehting I'm good to go and I have almost a year to practice with my tent.

What I'm liking about regular tents is the comfort factor and extra options.

As far as waterproofing the seams, I had looked into Campdry before I posted on this website, and the ones I'm looking at are silicone based as recomended, Is this okay for seams? Also do I have to seal the seams everytime I set the tent up?

Honuben I was thinking a 2 person tent because I wanted to be able to fit my backpack inside the tent and have some wiggle room, or in case I bring somone along, I'm not settled on this however. It's not likely I'll go alone but whoever I go with might just have to get their own tent. As long as one person tents are large enough on the inside for my backpack then it should be okay. I like to sleep on my side a lot with my legs bent so this takes up space as well. A 2 person tent ws my initial thinking but I'm not stuck on that.

Benjaminja77 Thanks for the offer, i'm wanting to try the tent on before I but it though, and have a return policy, is that a 90 liter tent? If so that's pretty big.

Sorry for the switch up in what I'm wanting guys I'm feeling things out as I go, I'll still go for a two person tent if it's light and low profile, but would now like to hear more opinions on whether or not I should go with a 1 person, given what I've said in this post about wanting some extra space. Im currently looking at videos too, so I'm getting lots of ideas.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++