WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1-person tent vs 2-person tent

I was doing some background reading on hiking the AT, and came off with the impression that 2-person tents are generally preferred for single-person hikes because they add marginal weight (2 pounds...not marginal in my book!) and greatly increase available space over a 1-person tent.

As I consider a thru-hike next year, I'm thinking it'd be wise to get my tent situation squared away. My current tent is a 2-person Alps Mountaineering Galaxy 2 that I absolutely love, which weighs about 5 pounds. I know single-person tents are about 3 pounds or less (including fly, plus footprint), and I'm not attracted to less space but the weight savings can be important. I do like the idea of a bit of extra space for my pack, with the 2-person tent.

Appreciate folks' thoughts on "ground truth" concerning tent size...
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Images

You can find a two person tent that weighs 3 less pounds....

look at some of the cottage industry ones --like tarptent or six moons----or even my fly creek 2 is around 3 pounds...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I don't think I'd carry a 2 person tent on a long hike (or a short one).

Single person tents come in different sizes. A Lightheart Solo has 30 sq ft and has an advertised weight of 27 oz. A TarpTent Moment has 18.1 sq ft and an advertised weight of 34 oz. - both are advertised as single person tents.

Source for size/weights:

http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/...oduct/view/5/1
    http://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html

Images

Tarptent makes a one man tent called the Notch. Pretty small inside, but has two side entries with nice big vestibules.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Check them out in person if you can. I have an original TarpTent Virga - a 2 man tent that weighs 2 pounds. It would be tight for two, but it's spacious for one. Most one-man tents are way too small for me, but TarpTent makes some that will fit 2 in a pinch (the Rainbow) and are very comfortable for one. A roomy tent doesn't need to weigh more than 3 pounds.

Meh.... I'd rather carry and use a 1-person tent of appropriate size. It is easier to find a location to pitch. Weight is part of it but I just don't use the extra space in a 2-person tent when I'm alone. If it served some sort of purpose I'd go for it but I'm not ballroom dancing in there. I sleep, read and fart once in awhile.

I'm using an REI Quarderdome....newest version and my carry weight is 37 ounces. It takes more stakes than I'd like.... something like the Tarptent Moment would be an improvement in that department.

The temptation is real but the result of most of my reading of very experienced hikers' posts has been don't give in to the temptation. Stick to the lightest single person tent that will meet your needs. A 6 Moon Designs Lunar solo has 26 SQ. Ft. of floor space, around 8.5 Sq. Ft. of Vestibule and weighs 30 ounces with 8 Groundhog stakes and 2 guy lines. A Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2 person) has 28 sq. Ft of space, 7 Sq.ft. vestibule and needs it's own special poles. It weighs in at 37 ounces. Almost 1/2 pound more for 2 Sq.ft of floor space, smaller vestibule and risk of breaking a pole and not having a shelter. Plus the Big Agnes is priced at least $100 more. As someone else mentioned, look at the Lighthearted tents but I don't do 2 trekking pole design tents (unless I am trekking with someone with poles). Break a trekking pole (it happens) and you might not have a shelter. Here's how my tent buying decision went: Go for the Eureka Solitaire but decided I wanted to be able to sit up etc in my shelter. Ok, I like the Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 with the extra space, proven track record but close to 4 pounds....then I came to the 6 Moons Skyscape scout for $125 but decided against the 2 pole design. Lunar Solo was next.....I just couldn't justify getting away from it for any other tent after weight, design, cost, space and reputation considerations...so this is what I bought.

Images

Before the advent of very light tents made with modern fabrics, solo tents tended to be very heavy and, at the same time, small and cramped. So hikers used two-person tents for the extra space, without much extra weight -- if your cramped solo tent weighs 6 pounds and a double weighs 8, it doesn't look so bad.

These days an affordable, spacious 1-person tent can be had for ~24 ounces (Tarptent Notch), or, if money is no object, a very light 2-person tent for ~21 ounces (Zpacks Duo).
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I use a zPacks Hexamid twin as a solo tent. Lots of room for 20 ounces. The only downside is that it takes a larger site to pitch well. And it would be nice if it was slightly longer. My next tent is likely to be the zPacks Altaplex advertised as a 1.5 person tent.

I use a Eureka Spitfire 1 which is a single person tent and officially weighs in a bit under 4 pounds if I recall. I am just over 7 feet tall and needed a tent that was long and skinny enough so my head and my feet could both be inside at the same time. In the Spitfire I can lie down without quite touching at either end and I can sit up in the middle. If I was going on a long trail hike I might look for something lighter, but the tent has worked quite well for me for a few years now and seems quite durable.
    Zach

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Keep in mind that not all 2 person tents are alike. There are 2 person tents that really have room for 2 people, each carrying a "large" sleeping pad with enough room for a little gear. Then there are 2 person tents that you the only way to get two people in the tent is for them to both use "regular" (20") tapered sleeping pads.

As a quick example:
    Kelty Salida and Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 - Both have a trapezoidal floor making a tight fit for two adults, but tons of room for 1 adult.
    Kelty Gunnison and Big Agnes Lynx Pass (no longer in production) - Both have large rectangular floors with plenty of room for two adults with large (25" wide) sleeping pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Tarptent makes a one man tent called the Notch. Pretty small inside, but has two side entries with nice big vestibules.
    I have this tent, I like it. Very light and easy to use. It is truly a one-person tent though. You can remove the interior/floor and fit a dog inside.

Images

One big question nobody asked is what size are you? If your 5'6" you could break dance in a two person. If your 6'3" and want a 25" sleeping pad that's 3" high, to not feel claustrophobic or have some gear room inside with you than something like the Big Agnes Fly creek UL2 might be good. You said your tent is 80 oz the fly creek is 37. That's 43 oz or 2.6 pounds saved. IMO I don't like to take my winter jacket off in the car with my seatbelt still on.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I use a zPacks Hexamid twin as a solo tent. Lots of room for 20 ounces. The only downside is that it takes a larger site to pitch well. And it would be nice if it was slightly longer. My next tent is likely to be the zPacks Altaplex advertised as a 1.5 person tent.

This is one of those questions where it really depends on your style and what you are seeking. Through a lot of trial and error, I've discovered that for most nights on the trail any old tent will do. But, all it took was a couple nights of hard rain and a couple of cold, biblical mornings where I was trapped in my tent to get me to re-evaluate my thinking. So, I think the tent you need to pack is for your worst anticipated night out.

I currently use a LightHeart solo - because I can get all my stuff in there with me and batten down the hatches quickly. I tend to sleep with everything inside the tent. The LH is a large 1 person tent, but still requires plenty of contortions to eat and pack up on a rainy morning. I think it is darn near a perfect tent. If they still made it in cuben I think it would be.

I hope to thru hike next year and the Zpacks Duplex is looking really nice to me at 20 oz. It will probably come down to that or the the Altaplex (16.9 ounces). Or I might stick with the LH if I can save some weight elsewhere.

Either way, I don't see any reason to carry a tent for one or two person that weighs more than 2 pounds, as there are some great options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    So, I think the tent you need to pack is for your worst anticipated night out.

Wise words.

Sometimes it takes a 'worst night out' to get you to reevaluate your gear choices too. I was sold on hammock camping until a very windy, rainy night at 10,500 ft.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, at 2lbs 5ozs is an awesome tent for one.

" I have an original TarpTent Virga - a 2 man tent that weighs 2 pounds. It would be tight for two, but it's spacious for one"
    The Virga was sold as a solo tent. The Squall was the 2 person version.
    Several of the TT offerings are of what we call + category (1+ is a solo tent that can hols two mats ,just, 2+ can hold 3..)
    We have on our website clear floor plans and a 3D video on each product page so that you can see how a 6' person (or 2/3/4) can fit inside.
    franco@tarptent
    BTW, I have a You Tube channel (Franco Darioli) showing the set up of most of the current Tarptent line up (a bit different from the ones on the TT site) plus some extra videos with some extra details such as guying out options or set up in difficult situations like rocks or in the rain.
    (all of our shelters set up fly first (or fly and inner together)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. I'm leaning toward the ZPacks Altaplex. Just can't beat the combination of weight and performance, and I like that I don't have to pack poles (it uses one trekking pole to set up.) Also like that the footprint is big enough for me and a pack, but small enough that it will hopefully be easy to set up in tight spaces just in case I can't find a camping spot with much room. Cost is high...but I have about a year to save before my hike... I'll continue to evaluate between now and then.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Journal Entries

The more you hike, the more you may come to appreciate flexibility.
    Tents dont offer much of this.

Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. I'm leaning toward the ZPacks Altaplex. Just can't beat the combination of weight and performance, and I like that I don't have to pack poles (it uses one trekking pole to set up.) Also like that the footprint is big enough for me and a pack, but small enough that it will hopefully be easy to set up in tight spaces just in case I can't find a camping spot with much room. Cost is high...but I have about a year to save before my hike... I'll continue to evaluate between now and then.
    I have an inquiry sent to zpacks to see if they can make an Altaplex with bug netting around the bottom and a removable groundsheet. In other words, a shelter with the Altaplex tarp done in the style of a hexamid. That would provide much more flexibility at a slight weight penalty vs the tent. Having the removable ground sheet on the hexamid is something I have grown to appreciate. Very flexible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++