WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hopefully it will bring more members and donations to the ATC. They will need it
    BirdShooter
    n2backpacking.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdShooter View Post
    Hopefully it will bring more members and donations to the ATC. They will need it
    That is a very positive outlook. Regarding questions, I have made my hike "public" in terms of friends and family. Its amazing how many people think this is a journey that begins and ends without so much as me seeing another soul for 6 months or the possibility of starving to death because I did not bring enough food.

Thankfully I run with outdoor hook and bullet people, so I have not had to hear to many questions about bears and snakes and other non-issues.

I do love the blank look of those few who just can't quite grasp why someone would want to do this.... does anyone else get that look?

Well, Jensene, at Rainbow Springs Campground certainly remembers Bill Bryson hiking the AT. She was still pretty angry at his portrayal of her in the book when I talked to her at length in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Well, Jensene, at Rainbow Springs Campground certainly remembers Bill Bryson hiking the AT. She was still pretty angry at his portrayal of her in the book when I talked to her at length in 2001.
    If I recall correctly her complaint was based on the fact she was closed at the time of his alleged stay.
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 06-25-2015 at 14:56.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Then you recall incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Then you recall incorrectly.
    You're correct, it's been quite a while since Jensine posted about it here.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Here is the thread where Jensine comments on Brysons stay at Rainbow Springs Campground:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ight=#post2348
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Here is the thread where Jensine comments on Brysons stay at Rainbow Springs Campground:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ight=#post2348
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Oh yeah, Jensine.
    Well, I had a very similar experiience there.
    My friends were waiting for a cab and said: You can stay here, but it's a dry county.
    or you can come with us to town (which is not in a dry county and has AYCE and if we double up in the hotel, it's the same price as the bunkroom here.
    Enough said.
    I went to town.
    When i got back on the trail the next day, I found out we were the talk of Rainbow Springs.
    She badmouthed us to every hiker that set foot on her place.

We just thought it was funny.
    But I know if I was writing a book on humor of the AT.
    Rainbow Springs and it's owners would have definitely been near the top of the list.

I must read this book again.
    It's been a while.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    I do love the blank look of those few who just can't quite grasp why someone would want to do this.... does anyone else get that look?
    All the time.

Yeah. Bryson saying/writing things isn't evidence of things.
    This is about as close to truth Bryson got:
    I suppose, but for that matter you could be an inmate named Phyllis at Niantic State Prison too. Given what I know of him, I don't have that level of doubt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    I suppose, but for that matter you could be an inmate named Phyllis at Niantic State Prison too. Given what I know of him, I don't have that level of doubt.
    Okay, that almost made me spit out/choke on my morning tea.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I was under the impression that the move "Wild" didn't really increase thru hiker traffic(?) I was also under the impression that many thru hikers pick a time of convenience or major life events, rather than just because they watched a cool hiking movie.

Regarding Bryson and the Rainbow lodge. Thanks for mentioning this dispute, it was kind of entertaining. If it's reassuring to the rainbow lodge, Bryson appeared to suffer from Princess syndrome to me as a reader. Staying in a nice hotel is kind of a weird concept to how I've romanticized "leather tramping" down the AT in my own head.

After watching "Wild" and reading "Walk in the woods" I'm ready for more books about hikers who are actually good at hiking.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuacoatchoo View Post
    I was under the impression that the move "Wild" didn't really increase thru hiker traffic(?) I was also under the impression that many thru hikers pick a time of convenience or major life events, rather than just because they watched a cool hiking movie.

Regarding Bryson and the Rainbow lodge. Thanks for mentioning this dispute, it was kind of entertaining. If it's reassuring to the rainbow lodge, Bryson appeared to suffer from Princess syndrome to me as a reader. Staying in a nice hotel is kind of a weird concept to how I've romanticized "leather tramping" down the AT in my own head.

After watching "Wild" and reading "Walk in the woods" I'm ready for more books about hikers who are actually good at hiking.
    Some ideas here:

http://www.booksforhikers.com/

One of my personal favorite is "On the Beaten Path".
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks Mags!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Some ideas here:

+1 for both eArThworm and Rhymin' Worm
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Some ideas here:

Always looking for a good read, thanks!

That is a very positive outlook. Regarding questions, I have made my hike "public" in terms of friends and family. Its amazing how many people think this is a journey that begins and ends without so much as me seeing another soul for 6 months or the possibility of starving to death because I did not bring enough food.

Thankfully I run with outdoor hook and bullet people, so I have not had to hear to many questions about bears and snakes and other non-issues.

Lol this is so true. I'm thru hiking in 2016 and everyone thinks I'm going in the woods alone for months on end. They tell me I need to bring a gun for food and protection. People just dont understand. There is a community out on the AT you really aren't ever alone

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Oh yeah, Jensine.
    Well, I had a very similar experiience there.
    My friends were waiting for a cab and said: You can stay here, but it's a dry county.
    or you can come with us to town (which is not in a dry county and has AYCE and if we double up in the hotel, it's the same price as the bunkroom here.
    Enough said.
    I went to town.
    When i got back on the trail the next day, I found out we were the talk of Rainbow Springs.
    She badmouthed us to every hiker that set foot on her place.

We just thought it was funny.
    But I know if I was writing a book on humor of the AT.
    Rainbow Springs and it's owners would have definitely been near the top of the list.

I must read this book again.
    It's been a while.
    If i recall right, after sueing him they settled for a fair sum.which is likely why never heard another peep about it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-29-2015 at 18:53.

Darn, I am doing my hike in 2016. I have been dreaming of this for 20 years.... And now everybody's first question is going to be, "did you see that movie"! I knew I should've gone in 2015. Lol.
    I hiked the PCT, not the AT, and even regarding the PCT people asked me if I had read Bryson's book. Now they all ask me if I've read Wild or saw the movie and if it's why I hiked the PCT. I hiked the PCT in 2008 and 2009. Wild wasn't even out yet. Get used to the dumb questions. You'll be answering them the rest of your life pretty much.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++