WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help Planning My Section Hike of the BMT

Hey guys. As some of you may know from my videos I post here, I am section hiking the BMT. I am not a noob hiker by any means, but I don't exactly have common sense or stellar trail sense either.

We have completed the first 75.3 miles of the BMT. I will have several questions in planning the upcoming sections. I will also post what I have learned in the first 75.3 miles here to help those who come after.

But on to the questions:

(1) Next section will at Dally Gap (75.3 miles) and finish at one of these locations: (a) Deep Gap (97.6 miles), (b) Kimsey Mountain Hwy (99 miles), (c) McFarland Road FS 23 (101.4 miles), or (d) Lost Creek Campground (105.3 miles).

Has anyone parked overnight at any of these locations? If so, (i) how is the road to the parking (i.e., can a passenger car make it there comfortably)? (ii) how safe? (iii) is another safer?

(2) Will SGT Rock be enough to hike this section or do I need a map and a compass? I've have never used either in any of my hikes, but I have heard the BMT is very different.

(3) What sections require a map?

(4) Which map should I buy? Any youtube videos on how to use map and compass?

(5) There appears to be no campsites between Big Frog Trail and either of my parking options. Anyone know of a campsite for 2 tents in this section? I just read why I found no campsites are listed in guidebook: "Due to the management policy for designated wilderness, no campsites can be identified or described in this text. "

(6) The weekend hike will be to Unicoi Gap. I heard from others here that Unicoi Gap has safe parking.

Thanks in advance guys. I am really looking forward to possibly finishing the BMT this year as a weekend warrior.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Hey guys. As some of you may know from my videos I post here, I am section hiking the BMT. I am not a noob hiker by any means, but I don't exactly have common sense or stellar trail sense either.

We have completed the first 75.3 miles of the BMT. I will have several questions in planning the upcoming sections. I will also post what I have learned in the first 75.3 miles here to help those who come after.

But on to the questions:
    I just got back from hiking these sections so let me help...

(1) Next section will at Dally Gap (75.3 miles) and finish at one of these locations: (a) Deep Gap (97.6 miles), (b) Kimsey Mountain Hwy (99 miles), (c) McFarland Road FS 23 (101.4 miles), or (d) Lost Creek Campground (105.3 miles).

Has anyone parked overnight at any of these locations? If so, (i) how is the road to the parking (i.e., can a passenger car make it there comfortably)? (ii) how safe? (iii) is another safer?
    I've parked overnight at Lost Creek Campground without a problem. I've never parked at those other areas overnight but have parked at some of them. Macfarland has a parking area where you can get off the road and should be OK. Kimsey Mountain Highway has some sort of construction going on there and you should probably avoid that one. Deep Gap has parking but gets some traffic. I think you could be OK there, but I could be wrong. There is an old guy that sort of hangs out at Lost Creek Campsite - skinny as a fence post and no tent. You could park there and ask him to watch your car until you get back.
    (2) Will SGT Rock be enough to hike this section or do I need a map and a compass? I've have never used either in any of my hikes, but I have heard the BMT is very different.
    You are going to be going through Big and Little Frog wilderness where blazing isn't allowed. The signs are all there and in good shape, however I would still recommend you carry map #777 from trails illustrated as the intersections can be tricky at times and know what trail goes where may save your bacon. I don't think you will need a compass so much as just a map that shows the relationships of trails to each other at intersections.
    (3) What sections require a map?
    IMO any place where you are going to go through a wilderness area

(4) Which map should I buy? Any youtube videos on how to use map and compass?
    see above

(5) There appears to be no campsites between Big Frog Trail and either of my parking options. Anyone know of a campsite for 2 tents in this section? I just read why I found no campsites are listed in guidebook: "Due to the management policy for designated wilderness, no campsites can be identified or described in this text. "
    I can help you. Campsites are at Double Springs, on top of Big Frog, at Rough Creek, at a clearing near McFarland Gap, and can be added anywhere you need as there are no restrictions on camping anywhere in this section. But those are the existing campsites and you will see a few fire rings people have created at other sites within the section you are looking at.
    (6) The weekend hike will be to Unicoi Gap. I heard from others here that Unicoi Gap has safe parking.
    Yep, left my truck there for over night plenty of times.
    Thanks in advance guys. I am really looking forward to possibly finishing the BMT this year as a weekend warrior.
    Can I have permission to use screen shots from your videos if I need them? I'm working on creating an App for the BMT with Guthook and haven't got time to get photos of everything I need, but you are doing a good job.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Can I have permission to use screen shots from your videos if I need them? I'm working on creating an App for the BMT with Guthook and haven't got time to get photos of everything I need, but you are doing a good job.
    Absolutely. Feel free. I am creating the video to help. Hopefully, by the end of this year, I will have the BMT complete.

Thanks for all the advice. And thanks in advanced for all the future advice. Which maps would you recommend for the next couple of sections? Basically everything south of the smokies.

I took a hike down there for repeated trips and know the campsites well. Check out my pics and locations---Scroll thru the pics until you get to the pertinent locations.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpa...Frog/i-5HHZsNh

Here's another trip---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpa...utta/i-cDZ7HC8

This shows a great campsite about a mile north of Rock Creek trail intersection at mile 94.0. There's water down the Rock Creek trail.

Here's a nice camp right on Lost Creek.

Here's the wildlife clearing at mile 104.5 and there's water down the old road to the left.

There's a great campsite at Piney Flats Branch here at mile 99.9.

Here's the Kimsey road crossing above Piney Flats and yes there's a nice level spot down from the sign.

BTW, here's the Rock Creek trail intersection at mile 94.0 where there's water for that previous camp mentioned.

I did not see a place to get water between hwy 64 (mile 194.5) to Piney Flats creek (186.7). Going nobo, there's a creek as soon as you cross hwy 64 next to TVA Ocoee #3 and head back into the woods. I would fill up there, especially if it's hot.

Little Frog Wilderness is easy to navigate even without blazes.

At Deep Gap, you can't see the trail for the overgrowth. Don't go down the gated FS road, stay right next to the sign and plow through the thicket and you will find the trail.

From what I saw, I would not have been comfortable leaving a car at Kimsey Hwy or McFarland Rd.

Deep Gap. You can see on the left side of the photo where I cleared the path.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    BTW, here's the Rock Creek trail intersection at mile 94.0 where there's water for that previous camp mentioned.
    Tipi Walter. Thanks so much for the pictures. That is immensely helpful. I think that campsite 1 mile north of Rock Creek Trail may be it for night 1.

It looks like my partner has the map 777. What maps cover the rest of this hike to Unicoi Gap? 781?

Going through Little Frog Wilderness there is only one turn and it's clearly marked (going Nobo it's as you're leaving LFW)

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I did not see a place to get water between hwy 64 (mile 194.5) to Piney Flats creek (186.7). Going nobo, there's a creek as soon as you cross hwy 64 next to TVA Ocoee #3 and head back into the woods. I would fill up there, especially if it's hot.

At Deep Gap, you can't see the trail for the overgrowth. Don't go down the gated FS road, stay right next to the sign and plow through the thicket and you will find the trail.

From what I saw, I would not have been comfortable leaving a car at Kimsey Hwy or McFarland Rd.
    Thanks so much for the heads up. I very much appreciate it. We are planning a huge section with big mile days. We can't afford to get lost.

Tipi Walter. Thanks so much for the pictures. That is immensely helpful. I think that campsite 1 mile north of Rock Creek Trail may be it for night 1.

It looks like my partner has the map 777. What maps cover the rest of this hike to Unicoi Gap? 781?
    I used map 781.

Images

Kimsey Highway sometimes has water, but it was dry just the other day.

LOL, that is one place I got lost. Missed the turn to go down to Deep Gap and didn't realize it until I was almost to Kimsey highway somewhere else.

SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Oh okay, now I remember Deep Gap. It's a hateful place under powerlines and hot as the dickens. I was headed north thru there and must've entered the Little Frog as all blazes disappeared. As you keep heading north you climb out of Ocoee river valley and enter the Little Frog and eventually come to a dogleg turn to the left where I found this trailsign---

I wonder if this trailsign is still on Dry Pond Lead? You're looking south in this pic as the BMT heads down to the campsite and then the jct with Rock Creek trail and then the drop to 64 and Ocoee River. Going to the right in this picture drops you off Dry Pond Lead (where the Lead trail keeps going straight) and you I believe drop to Deep Gap etc.

Here is the plan for the rest of my section hike of the BMT. Tell me why I am stupid or might want to consider something else. I am section hiking the BMT with a friend who likes (demands) short day 2's. Just assume we can do the miles I have listed, except for weekend 3, day 1. I am not sure about that day. We will do it, but it certainly will not be fun.

WEEKEND 1: Total Miles – 30.8 miles
    Day 1: Dally Gap (75.3 miles + 0.8 miles) | 34.933430, -84.518196 to Campsite: Rock Creek Trail Intersection (94.2 miles). Day 1 Miles – 19.7 miles. *we may go a little further. Tipi pointed me to a campsite just a little further north, but someone told me they have seen people pitch their tent right at the intersection. I may have to do the same.
    Day 2: Rock Creek Trail Intersection (94.2 miles) to Lost Creek Campground (105.3 miles) | 35.159681 -84.467365. Day 2 Miles – 11.1 miles.

WEEKEND 2: Total miles – 24.7
    Day 1: Lost Creek Campground (105.3 miles) | 35.159681 -84.467365 to Campsite: Loss Creek (119.3 miles). Day 1 Miles – 14 miles
    Day 2: Loss Creek (119.3 miles) to Unicoi Gap (129.2 miles) | 35.225595 -84.290139. Day 2 miles – 9.9 miles + 0.8 mile side trail.

WEEKEND 3: Total Miles -33.2 miles
    Day 1: Unicoi Gap (129.2 miles) | 35.225595 -84.290139 to Campsite (152.3 miles). Day 1 miles 24.1 miles
    *Is there a campsite on near Sugar Mt where we can make this hike a little shorter on day 1, but not add too much to day 2?
    Day 2 Campsite (152.3 miles) to Mud Gap (161.0 miles) | 35.324747, -84.032716. Day 2: 9.1 miles.

WEEKEND 4: 31.6 miles
    Day 1: Mud Gap (161.0 miles) | 35.324747, -84.032716 to Slickrock Creek Campsite (180.8 miles). Day 1 miles: 19.8 miles
    Day 2: Slickrock Creek Campsite (180.8 miles) to Twenty Mile Ranger Station (192.6 miles) | 35.467001, -83.877525. Day 2 miles: 11.8 miles.

WEEKEND 5: 38.3 miles
    Day 1: Twenty Mile Ranger Station (192.6 miles) | 35.467001, -83.877525 to Campsite 77 (213.2 miles). Day 1 miles: 21.4 miles
    Day 2: Campsite 77 (213.2 miles) to Noland Creek Trailhead (230.1 miles)| 35.457322, -83.526630. Day 2 miles: 16.9 miles.

WEEKEND 6: 24.4 miles
    Day 1: Noland Creek Trailhead (230.1 miles) | 35.457322, -83.526630 to Campsite 57 (243.3 miles). Day 1 miles: 12.2 miles.
    Day 2: Campsite 57 (243.3 miles) to Smokemont Campground Parking (255.5 miles) | 35.552668, -83.309173. Day 2 miles 12.2 miles

WEEKEND 7: 31.3 miles
    Day 1: Smokemont Campground Parking (255.5 miles) | 35.552668, -83.309173 to Laurel Gap Shelter (274.7 miles). Day 1 miles 19.2 miles.
    Day 2: Laurel Gap Shelter (274.7 miles) to Big Creek Ranger Station (286.8 miles) | 35.759437 -83.105977. Day 2 miles: 12.1 miles.

Any comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips?

I had a question about lost creek campground. Any worry getting my passenger car there?

The road to Lost Creek cg is gravel and well graded, you shouldn't have problems.

Weekend 3, Unicoi Gap to Mud Gap. Day 2 you can easily get to Beech Gap parking for an additional 3 (?) miles. It's pretty easy hiking from Tellico River Rd to Beech Gap.

Weekend 4, Are you not going to hike the new reroute? It bypasses slickrock creek and the dangerous road walk on the Tail of the Dragon.

The road to Lost Creek cg is gravel and well graded, you shouldn't have problems.

Weekend 3, Unicoi Gap to Mud Gap. Day 2 you can easily get to Beech Gap parking for an additional 3 (?) miles. It's pretty easy hiking from Tellico River Rd to Beech Gap.

Weekend 4, Are you not going to hike the new reroute? It bypasses slickrock creek and the dangerous road walk on the Tail of the Dragon.
    Traffic Jam,

At this point, I am pretty sure we will do the original route. My friend enjoys fording rivers even though I am not a fan. So we probably will not bypass. However, I may go back up another weekend and get the alternate routes so I can document those for my youtube channel and website.

I have the 2014-15 trail at home I think. It has two different alternative routes. Are those the reroutes you were talking about Traffic Jam or has there been a new route added as well?

Traffic Jam,

At this point, I am pretty sure we will do the original route. My friend enjoys fording rivers even though I am not a fan. So we probably will not bypass. However, I may go back up another weekend and get the alternate routes so I can document those for my youtube channel and website.

I have the 2014-15 trail at home I think. It has two different alternative routes. Are those the reroutes you were talking about Traffic Jam or has there been a new route added as well?
    Yes, the official route now goes over Bob Bald, Stratton Bald, Haoe Bald, to Tapoco Lodge, then you hit the Yellow Creek reroute which takes you to Fontana and bypasses the road walk at Deals Gap and bypasses Twenty Mile ranger station. Here is the info posted by SGT Rock at another great, hiking website that I'm not allowed to mention on Whiteblaze;

165.8 At Cold Spring Gap take trail #54A to Bob Bald.
    168.3 At Stratton Bald join trail #53 to Haoe Bald. Pass through Naked Ground.
    169.9 At Haoe Bald join trail #156 and hike past the side trail to the Hangover and the overlook.
    172.9 At Big Fat Gap join trail #400 and hike through Windy Gap.
    174.4 Join trail #44 and hike to Nichols Cove and the cemetery.
    175.3 At the cemetery join #149 and hike to Yellowhammer Gap.
    177.2 At Yellowhammer Gap take the newly re-opened trail down Yellowhammer Branch to Tapoco Lodge.
    179.1 At US 129 cross the road and start the Yellow Creek Mountain Trail.

This "new" trail takes you up over Bob Bald, Stratton Bald, Naked Ground, past the Hangover and the Overlook down to Big Fat Gap. From there it goes out Windy Gap Trail through Windy Gap and then down to Nichols Cove where it goes along Yellowhammer Gap trail to Yellowhammer Gap. At the gap an old FS road has been reopened as trail to the newly re-opened and hiker friendly Tapoco Lodge.

Images

Reroutes have changed the entire trail between Cold Spring Gap and Lost Cove Trail junction. The alternate route #1 is close to what the official BMT reroute is and the section at the end of the 2014-5 guide is close to right about what the yellow Creek Mountain Trail looks like, but neither are exactly right and I am working on the 2016-17 guide right now. To find out what the latest trail conditions and services are you should check out my errata page at http://bmtguide.com/errata.pdf which has the most accurate changes for the BMT avaiable on the internet for now.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Alright guys, I am back. I don't know when I will do this hike, but hopefully before October or the beginning of October.

Day 1: Unicoi Gap (129.2 miles) | 35.225595 -84.290139 to Campsite (152.3 miles). Day 1 miles 24.1 miles
    *Is there a campsite on near Sugar Mt where we can make this hike a little shorter on day 1, but not add too much to day 2? After last hike, I am positive I can no longer do a 24 mile day. So making this day shorter by 2-5 miles would be pretty important to me, but I do not want to add too much to day 2. I like getting home at a reasonable hour Sunday.
    Day 2 Campsite (152.3 miles) to Mud Gap (161.0 miles) | 35.324747, -84.032716. Day 2: 9.1 miles.

I may go to Beech Gap like Traffic Jam suggested.

What do I need to know or see in this section? I will have more specific questions as I get closer to this hike and really look at the guide and map to plan it out. At this point, I just know the start and end locations.

I am also starting to strongly consider doing the official re-route away from the road walk near the smokies, but I am not sure.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Alright guys, I am back. I don't know when I will do this hike, but hopefully before October or the beginning of October.

*Is there a campsite on near Sugar Mt where we can make this hike a little shorter on day 1, but not add too much to day 2? After last hike, I am positive I can no longer do a 24 mile day. So making this day shorter by 2-5 miles would be pretty important to me, but I do not want to add too much to day 2. I like getting home at a reasonable hour Sunday.

I may go to Beech Gap like Traffic Jam suggested.

What do I need to know or see in this section? I will have more specific questions as I get closer to this hike and really look at the guide and map to plan it out. At this point, I just know the start and end locations.

I am also starting to strongly consider doing the official re-route away from the road walk near the smokies, but I am not sure.
    I just did this section in April with a friend and met her in Unicoi Gap and we went north to Sandy Gap and beyond. After Sandy Gap you climb some serious hills north to Sled Runner Gap and all the way down Brookshire Creek which you cross and then head up to the top of Sugar Mt. Right before you get to the top there's a spring water source you cross over and then on top there are several good campsites.

Down the north side of Sugar but near the top you pass a wonderful little spring the trail crosses (and there's a campsite nearby on a ridge finger).

Once over Sugar you're now on the Sycamore Creek trail which climb 3,000 feet in about 7 miles to Whiggs Meadow, then a 1.5+ mile drop to Mud Gap and the steep climb up to the Rock Quarry. I personally wouldn't camp in Mud Gap because of the motorcycle noise but instead go up to the quarry and camp and get water on the way up at any noticeable side spring.

And go beyond Beech Gap 1.7 miles and you'll hit Cold Spring Gap which is a much better place to camp than Beech; and there's water down the South Fork 105 side (left) or down the old logging cut to the right which opens up into a fantastic campsite with an actual creek. (Bob Creek and down into the "wedge" and Little Cove Camp---Sgt Rock knows about this spot and we once camped there in a windstorm).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++