WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please critique my budget-ish ultralight(almost) gear

Hi,

Here is my gear list for an upcoming section hike (5 days+/-) in central VA in July. This list has evolved from experience of a few previous hikes.

http://lighterpack.com/r/159kon

Is there anything I'm missing, anything I don't need?

What is the cheapest thing I could buy to shed the mst weight (oz per $), without sacrificing functionality. My guess is the sleeping bag, but would love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks

get rid of the cotton

Quote Originally Posted by billreillyjr View Post
    get rid of the cotton
    Absolutely! Cotton socks will ruin your trip the first time they get wet. Think sandpaper on your feet. Wool socks from Costco are plenty cheap and work.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Everything looks good to me (besides the cotton). Is the weight of the Frogg Toggs right? My Frogg Toggs ultralight jacket is over 5 ounces but you have it listed at 1.76 ounces. You can also easily get a fleece hat that's around 1 ounce for cheap (I use mine for a food cozy as well).

Your biggest weight savings will be the bag and pack. Pack is up to you but is around $250-300 and up for a lighter one (biggest weight savings would be a ZPacks Arc Blast for $295). For a sleeping bag/quilt, a Hammock Gear 40º burrow quilt is $219 and 12ish ounces (mine, in long and wide -which I got for comfort-, with 2 ounces of everstuff -probably good down to 30-35º- and stuff sack is 16.87 ounces). That'll save you just shy of a pound right there.

Nice list. Agree about the cotton socks. I wear two pair of thin sock liners this time of year with my trail runners. Keeps the feet nice and cool and minimizes blisters. You could probably substitute two thin pair of dress socks from Walmart if you can't find sock liners.

Garlic
    Images

Some good budget lightweight packs can be found at Gossamer Gear. They often go on sale--get on their mailing list. The last two packs I got from them I used I on thru-hikes were only $80 each and weighed less than a pound.

Mags posted something about a Klymit sleeping bag at Costco for a pretty good deal on a down bag. You won't need it for this July trip, but if you want something for a three-season pack, it's a starting point.

If you're able to sleep well on a closed cell foam (CCF) pad (big "if" for some), or are able to select campsites padded with leaf litter and duff (easy to do in the Appalachian forest--many of my nights on the AT, my 6 oz, $20 CCF pad just got in the way), you can save lots of weight and money on the sleeping pad. It sucks on plank shelter floors, though, if that's the way you want to camp.

For a short summer trip, consider trying stoveless camping. Making that move is what finally got me under the ten-pound threshold, and let me use the lightest packs. And improved my hiking experience, since I was a lousy camp cook and hated cleaning up after the warm, salty, highly-processed glop I usually produced. No more fuel resupply, easier to dry camp in better sites away from bugs and mice, more time on the trail.

It looks like you've done a good job of eliminating a lot of useless "just in case" items, which is the most effective and cheapest way to lighten the pack. (Is the phone really necessary?)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

i agree get rid of all the cotton stuff and the rain pants you will not need them in july, you will not need the convertibule pants just the running shorts.

Food bag?

30% min. to repel ticks

Need something to keep sleeping bag dry.

Add a trash compactor bag to keep bag and dry clothes...no cotton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditch the McDonalds fork, it's 4g you will never use. If you aren't using a spoon or a knife to eat it, you'll use your fingers.
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Looks great, especially as you did it on the cheap. I agree with Dochartaigh. Your biggest weight savings will be your pack and sleeping bag. When going ultralight tackle the big four first: pack, bag, pad, tent. Who cares about 4 gram plastic fork when you backpack--empty--weights over two pounds? garlic08 mentioned Gossamer Gear packs. I have the murmur hyperlight--it weights 12 ounces. That's a savings of 21 ounces right there! With only 12 pounds baseweight, you don't need a hefty pack.

The sleeping bag should be next on the list. You can easily find a summer bag weighing in at 16 ounces for a reasonable price, and return the bag to your brother. (As an older brother I've had a lot of stuff "borrowed" over the years. It's nice to get it back.)

Jacks r better sometimes has quilts with minor cosmetic flaws $100 for a 40-45 Sierra stealth....live mine for late spring/ summer...

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

first , about the cotton socks,they are MUCH lighter than any merino socks I've seen. Normally I use goretex shoes, but this year I've decided on light trainers, so my feet may get actually wet for a change, so the sock situation may turn out to be important. what are my sock options?

I thought that my Flash45 pack was a wise investment, as it was such an improvement on my old 4lb pack. BUt there seems to be further weight savings on a budget.

I Definitely need to get a better bag. Some good suggestion s here, thanks!

No cotton!!!!!

For thinner socks, I have been buying these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081ZT85O/
    I get them in grey so dirt is not as obvious. Lightweight, and double layer (should help with blisters).
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

As everyone has said, cotton is a killer on the trail, period. It can kill your feet, your comfort and in the end your hike. Consider Picaridin instead of Deet. 5 days....only 1 underwear as long as it is a premium synthetic wicking type such as ExOfficio, Addidas, UA or Therramar. The Flash 45 is a decent choice if you are weighing cost/weight/function. They're currently available for $70 as a special buy. I'd buy a large as it is 50L if the fit is within your size range.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Thanks everyone for the great advice.

first , about the cotton socks,they are MUCH lighter than any merino socks I've seen. Normally I use goretex shoes, but this year I've decided on light trainers, so my feet may get actually wet for a change, so the sock situation may turn out to be important. what are my sock options?

I thought that my Flash45 pack was a wise investment, as it was such an improvement on my old 4lb pack. BUt there seems to be further weight savings on a budget.

I Definitely need to get a better bag. Some good suggestion s here, thanks!

As as others said dump the cotton. Wool is gold. I haven't worn cotton socks in years hate them even when I'm not in the woods. Gortex boots or not cotton is useless for comfort
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Lot of good sock options. Darntough, Injinji, Smartwool, and Balega make excellent lightweight synthetic or merino hiking socks that pair well with trail runners.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    first , about the cotton socks,they are MUCH lighter than any merino socks I've seen.
    Here's the weight of my socks:

Darn Tough Hiker 1/4 Sock Cushion 2.330

Wrightsock Men's Escape (double layer) socks, Quarter length, Black, Large 2.005

Not too far off from your cotton ones and those are all wool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++