WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Rawlins WY

Images

Default Rawlins WY

How do you get to Rawlins??? I"m planning a section hike from Rawlins south to Georgia pass and then taking the CT into Denver. I just can't figure out how to get myself into Rawlins without asking a friend to drive me all the way there.

Thanks

Bus. Hitch. Walk. Ride a bike.
    You can't hardly get there from here.
    You can fly to Steamboat Springs, CO or Jackson, WY. Alter your section hike a little.
    Good luck.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Greyhound does Denver-Rawlins-Denver.

http://locations.greyhound.com/bus-r...fWheelchairs=0

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You could fly to Laramie then catch the same Greyhound bus coming from Denver but that would cost quite a bit more. The one way summer fare for Greyhound is as low as $31 from Denver to Rawlins.

Images

If you can get to Denver fairly early in the day, you can take the airport shuttle to the downtown bus station and catch the early Greyhound to Rawlins. There's also one that arrives in the middle of the night. The drop off location is an exit of I-80 exit outside of Rawlins (at Truck Stops of America). It's a short walk to downtown Rawlins. I did this for my final chunk of the CDT in 2012. Details here toward the end of the entry: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=387994. You can also fly to Salt Lake City and catch Greyhound eastbound which stops at the same place for Rawlins. I think the cheapest airfare, however, will be Denver and getting to the bus station from the airport is a cinch.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Looks like we are flying into Denver. I have peeps there that will pick us up and host us for a day or two - She was my maid of honor when I got married, I was hers when she got married. Thank you all - Greyhound it will be from Denver.

Rawlins to Georgia Pass will be an epic adventure. Lots of interesting stuff, and it breaks the Great Basin into two parts so you don't have to do it all in one shot. IMO, some of the most strenuous miles of the CDT lie between Greys Peak and Georgia Pass.

Garlic
    Images

If you get a chance, see the old territorial prison in Rawlins.

Have a great hike--I agree it's one of the epic portions of the CDT and it's a great idea to break the Basin into two parts. I don't remember how many miles south of Rawlins until you see your first tree, something over 20, but it's fine sight.

Maybe you can talk your friends into driving you, and you can treat them to a haunted prison tour!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++