WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Marker for Maps?

I know that this is about as basic as it gets , but I have been trying out a few different markers for my map notes. I tried a felt tip marker, a pen, and a marker than claims to be permanent (but not a Sharpie). All would run as soon as I put any water on the test area. Is there a marker that works, and maybe one that is available with different size points (fine, medium, etc.)? If you have some kind of special system for colors and such, let me know.

Journal Entries

What kind of maps are we talking here, USGS topo maps or the slicker Trails Illustrated sort of maps? On regular paper like a USGS map I just use a pencil. I haven't needed to mark up a TI map, but I would probably use a fine point sharpie.
    "Something hidden, go and find it. Go and look behind the ranges. Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go."

In the army we would laminate our maps and then use either an overlay or draw non-sensitive information OpSec) directly on the map with ones like these:
    http://www.overstock.com/Office-Supp...0/product.html

For general notes, I like rite-in-the-rain notepads and a pencil

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Dad View Post
    What kind of maps are we talking here, USGS topo maps or the slicker Trails Illustrated sort of maps? On regular paper like a USGS map I just use a pencil. I haven't needed to mark up a TI map, but I would probably use a fine point sharpie.
    These are maps like the ones from the Forest Service, with the shiny paper that is water resistant. I thought about using a pencil, but it does really stand out enough.

I am writing directly on the map, marking locations of things, etc.

Something like that looks good. Will it work on the glossy paper that is water resistant?

Maps printed on something like Hop Syn (common in the mid Atlantic) are probably near impossible indelibly to mark on. The less common industrial grade red label Sharpie (tm) might be what I would try. Sharpie quality is the opposite of Johnnie Walker, in this case you want the red label not the black.

++ New Posts ++