WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best food in Mammoth.

I'll have time for 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners before and during my hike. Any must go to restaurants walking distance from either Shiloh inn or cinnamon bear b&b? Narrowed lodging down to those 2. Also good eats in lone pine? Will be staying at Dow villa or hostel...dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

There are only a handful of places to eat in lone pine.
    Seasons is touted as the best, but a tad pricey . i didnt eat there.

I liked breakfast at alabama hills cafe best of all. Other places i have eaten at are the mt whitney restaurant, totem, pizza place. These are all "ok", just average.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-27-2015 at 22:45.

Images

Slocum's came highly recommended, but we were very disappointed in the food/service and the price was very high.

We later asked at Mammoth Mountain Supply where they would recommend, and they said Angels Restaurant. It is on the main drag, right next to the Motel 6. The food was great, staff very friendly and attentive. Seemed to be more popular with the locals folks rather than the tourists.

http://www.angelsdining.com/

If you stay at the Cinnamon Bear, they make a very nice breakfast each morning - not huge, and you eat what they make, but all the breakfasts we had were tasty. Also, right across the street from the Cimmamon Bear is the rear door to the Schat's Bakery. Very good coffee and tons of baked goods, also sandwiches and, I believe, some breakfast items.

https://plus.google.com/105806020063...ut?gl=us&hl=en

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

From my recollection I went to John's Pizza Works in Mammoth, and it was pretty decent. Someone above mentioned Schats Bakery, and I'm going to second that place...great stuff.

As for Lone Pine the couple places I remember eating there were Bonanzas (Mexican/American) and the Merry-Go-Round. the first place was ok, but I loved the buffet at the Merry-Go-Round. Probably my favorite eats there though were from a taco truck parked near the Mt. Whitney Inn. Don't know if the dude is still there (this was in 2013), but those were some dang good tacos.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Default Best food in Mammoth.

In Mammoth I like Johns Pizza Works and Base Camp Cafe for breakfast.

Alabama Hills Cafe in Lone Pine was good.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Journal Entries

Alabama hills cafe is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have friends in ML so I now prefer staying with them and cook my own real food for everyone knowing what I'm consuming these days when I'm doing an off day in ML when in the Sierras backpacking. I much prefer having a pastry and/or sandwich and good coffee bought at centralized Looney Bean while resting my legs or a good sandwich or such bought from Sierra Sundance Whole Foods Market/Healthfood Store just a few doors down from Looney Bean with my coffee at LB in an informal manner. I just sit comfortably and drink coffee and gnosh a decent snack/meal maybe going over maps or getting back in touch with the world while reading the newspaper or a mag and doing the Sudoku and crossword. At some pt I wander over to browse through the nearby outdoor gear stores. A similar modus operandi when n Bishop which also has a similar set-up all near the Looney Bean there.

If you go into Bishop check out the Schats Bakery there. I think that one is better offering a greater selection.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

+1 on Schat's and John's Pizza Works.

Images

We ordered a Pizza from John's, had it delivered. Were SHOCKED when the bill came to almost $40 for a two item large with a couple of drinks. The pizza was ok, but not worth that. Check the total price before ordering and committing.

Another vote for Angel's. Been there many times and enjoyed it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    We ordered a Pizza from John's, had it delivered. Were SHOCKED when the bill came to almost $40 for a two item large with a couple of drinks. The pizza was ok, but not worth that. Check the total price before ordering and committing.
    My experience too. A decent pie but $$$. Despite having $25 dead presidents in my wallet on a visit there I had to pull out the plastic to pay my half the bill when another PCTer and myself gnoshed there. In all fairness we did gnosh grandly with our thru-hiker hungry though.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    … I liked breakfast at alabama hills cafe best of all...
    +1
    IMG_0803.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...Other places i have eaten at are the mt whitney restaurant, totem, pizza place. These are all "ok", just average.
    +1

Yea, I've eaten at most of the establishments in Lone Pine and they are pretty average in quality. At the Whitney Portal (trailhead) they have a burger shop that dishes out huge portions! So if you want a basket of fries and a giant burger, that's the place to stop.

Considering Mammoth is a huge ski town and fishing destination you think things would get better (than Lone Pine) but it doesn't. I've never found them (probably because I try not to stay in towns for more than 24 hours or I get sucked into the 'town vortex') but Mammoth must have some posh establishments, but damm if I can find them.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Journal Entries
    Images

Take the trolley up the the Village, many many good eats up there!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I don't remember how much it was to eat there and I probably should have been shocked, but my perception of CA and Mammoth Lakes in particular is $$$$$$$. so I guess I didn't blink at it because I was already mentally prepared. Things in general don't seem to cost as much here in VA.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

++ New Posts ++