WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 40 of 142 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 90 140 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

6:24 am shows him down the hill following a creek. Is this Mahoosuc Notch? The Arm is marked just a little beyond.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    6:24 am shows him down the hill following a creek. Is this Mahoosuc Notch? The Arm is marked just a little beyond.
    yup, thats the notch

Images

haha anyone know the FTK for traversing the notch? does trying to stay up high on the edges instead of hopping over the boulders count, or is that cheating?

i did it in 40 minutes, full pack

Journal Entries

On aerial view, the Notch is just a black slash. Most everything else is green. Speck Pond a little ways ahead looks like a black hole. Makes you wonder about the Notch for it to be almost as dark as a pond. I realize it's just shadows in the Notch, but still. Other places have steep cliffs that shade the trail also.

Images

On aerial view, the Notch is just a black slash. Most everything else is green. Speck Pond a little ways ahead looks like a black hole. Makes you wonder about the Notch for it to be almost as dark as a pond. I realize it's just shadows in the Notch, but still. Other places have steep cliffs that shade the trail also.
    t makes sense if youve been there

If enough elites do this I think one day we'd be talking about the 40-day barrier, just like we're talking about the 2-hour barrier in the marathons. Call me crazy, and admittingly I'm kind of new at looking at this, but I do believe the record can be done below 44 days, I don't think this is an issue of being at the limits of human capability -- I think a lot has to do with tactics.

If Scott fails or even just squeaks by I think that will keep the momentum going in the ultrarunning community on this new found interest in the AT. Who'd of imagined such puny little hills (not even "at altitude") would be so difficult as to best a hiker.

They're going to have to rethink their approach, but I think there will be more hunger now for it.

I'm real curious why Scott decided to do this as a NOBO attempt and will be interested in his opinion about after it's all said and done. I'm also curious (as has been pounded in our heads by LW) how his hike would look if he did much more camping, instead of stopping at road crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I think at a certain point you start to bump up against the limits of human capability. Note that the marathon record is not plummetting lower, nor is the 100 meter or other distances. Edging down, all of them. I'd suggest Scott is demonstrating that Jen came pretty close to maxxing the possible. He may yet better her time, but it won't be by much, and he's reputedly the best in the world. That says a lot.

I'd posit that 42 days is not going to be hit any time in the next 50 years. One can say, "Well, if Jen didn't get sick in the Whites ..." or "If Scott didn't get injured in the Smokies ...", but that's the deal. You cannot subject your body to the strain and test that the AT FKT is without it at least breaking down at the margins. So far, both Jen and Scott have enjoyed near perfect weather for their trips. Yes, wet and sloppy for Scott in VT, and pretty crummy for Jen in the Presidentials, but that's a lot better than godawful weather across the board in the Whites and western Maine, which could always happen.

Scott's gotta get past the Bigelows in good weather, he hopes, or at least passable, then weather whatever rain comes Wed and Thurs, perhaps traversing the Bigs, if he can, in rain Wednesday. But he's been very fortunate that the weather looks to have smiled on him through most of the hardest part of the trek.

When all is said and done, I'd bet Scott will tell you what Jen would - it would be very difficult for either of them, or anyone, much to improve on what they did. Scott might could shave off a day by virtue of course knowledge on a future attempt, but two days would be pushing it, hard, I think. The A.T. especially its northern precincts, is no joke.

I am sure there are limits, but in terms of the AT fastest time I think we are still at a point where will see the record come down substantially. Jurek is still a stud for sure, but what might he have done if he had tried this in his prime?

Also, ultra running is just starting to attract the attention of more serious runners. It is moving more into the mainstream of something a strong marathoner might do. The fields are getting much deeper in terms of talent. Some of these guys are going to attempt it at some point.

Anyway, I'd bet that the record will be under 42 days very soon. I'd say in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Pretty funny sentiments from a bunch of folks who slurp up all of that Trail Magic isn't it?
    I know nothing about these specific hiker's Trail Magic habits. Neither do you. Furthermore, I don't know if anything they were saying about the type of help Scott is getting is true. It was pretty oddball stuff they were saying. That is why I responded to the crumb story posted here. Personal, I believe what people say about others is more of a reflection of themselves than it is about the other guy. What I heard represented thru's over a 3 day stretch. It is a small sample size. However, it might be a reflection of how a good percentage of those actually on the trail feel. This is all secondary. I am more curious about where he is. The sentiment they had just really caught me off guard.

Okay. Back to the obsession. Where is that freak of nature now?
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

MapMan. I need a comparison update. OddManOut. Where are you? Okay. Putting the keyboard down.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

image.jpgAlmost at the top of the Arm.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    Anyway, I'd bet that the record will be under 42 days very soon. I'd say in the next 5 years.
    I can see this happening too.
    Jurek's hike is giving the AT a lot of attention in the long distance running community and there will be a bunch of attempts in the next couple years.
    Also, I think the Redford movie coming out in September will also magnify the spotlight on the AT.

And let's not forget that Karl is planning on coming back next year for another crack at it. Third time is a charm!?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post

I'm real curious why Scott decided to do this as a NOBO attempt and will be interested in his opinion about after it's all said and done. I'm also curious (as has been pounded in our heads by LW) how his hike would look if he did much more camping, instead of stopping at road crossing.
    if i had to guess i would say he wanted to do it during a period of maximum daylight (which makes hiking until 5 am and then sleeping in the middle of the next afternoon kind of ironic) and that starting at that time in maine would be more problematic.

that or he figured if he came up short he could lay claim to having the NOBO record or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    yes. who cares about bikes
    Isn't a significant portion of the economy of your home town derived form bicycles?

Half hour for me- SOBO of course.

But I do recognize that without the accomplishments of those who came before me that it would not have been possible.

I slept just short of the Notch going SoBo. The next day, I hiked through the Notch not knowing I was there. I thought I was in the 2nd Notch or whatever the map called it. I was pissed when I saw the AMC signs that said I was out of it. I have no idea how long it took me. I would guess 1 hour. It is not the big scary obstacle many describe. It was a fun playground. Cool place.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Half hour for me- SOBO of course.

But I do recognize that without the accomplishments of those who came before me that it would not have been possible.
    looks like it took SJ over an hour so i guess the "record" on that one is safe.

i think the last gasp for this even being close to a record at the end will be at the top of baldpate. if he cant positively FLY from there to rangeley then its over. thats 40 miles or so. i know it wont line up with one of his days exactly, but if he cant do that distance in "a day" without hiking until 3 am then forget it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I slept just short of the Notch going SoBo. The next day, I hiked through the Notch not knowing I was there. I thought I was in the 2nd Notch or whatever the map called it. I was pissed when I saw the AMC signs that said I was out of it. I have no idea how long it took me. I would guess 1 hour. It is not the big scary obstacle many describe. It was a fun playground. Cool place.
    curious side note- give me a couple of examples of sections of the AT you think ARE hard?

Journal Entries

Thoughts on how far he'll take it today?
    ME 17 sounds good.

Images

Thoughts on how far he'll take it today?
    ME 17 sounds good.
    Agree... a solid 43 miles today would put him nicely on pace.

Page 40 of 142 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 90 140 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++