WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pisgah: Sam Knob - Graveyard Fields Loop Questions & Conditions

I day hiked up Sam Knob a few years ago, and I liked the area so much that I am planning to spend some overnights in the area in the end of June. I知 pretty much a newbie to overnighting (after many years of hiatus), and I have all new gear that I am testing out before making some hikes in Washington (Northern Cascades, Olympic and Mount Rainier) later this summer. I plan on keeping a slow pace, keeping the distances per day at about five miles or so, and taking my time to stop for lots of pictures and to enjoy the ride. Looking for some insight on my plan and the area.

Likely to get a late start on the first day, I値l depart from the parking lot off of Black Balsam Road/FS 816, and I値l hike on the Sam Knob Trail (#617) down to Flat Laurel Creek (overnight #1). From there, I値l take the Flat Laurel Creek Trail (#346), the Little Sam Trail (#347), the Mountains to the Sea Trail (#440), overlap with the Art Loeb Trail (#146), and then follow the continued MST to the headwaters of the Yellowstone Prong, where I plan to overnight (overnight #2). This brings up my first questions.

First, to know when I have arrived at my stop point for the day, I understand that there is a bridge, possibly made of cement, that crosses the headwaters of the Yellowstone Prong where it meets the trail, and that the headwaters pass under this bridge. Is this true? Second, are there good places to make camp around there? Third, can I count on this as a water source in the end of June?

After I leave that site, I値l head from the MST to the Graveyard Ridge Trail (#356), the Graveyard Ridge Connector (#356A), and I値l camp out (overnight #3) around Graveyard Fields, checking out the falls in the area along the Yellowstone Prong. Any good suggestions for camp sites there?

After Graveyard Fields, I値l loop back to my starting point, stopping again at the Yellowstone Prong headwaters area (overnight #4), but I plan to vary the return by taking the MST on the other side of Graveyard Ridge, and I値l exit to the parking lot by taking the Flat Laurel Creek Trail instead of going back up the Sam Knob Trail, unless I have time and get inspired to check out Sam Knob Summit again. However, since I haven稚 seen it before, if I am on schedule, a bigger priority would be to check out Black Balsam Knob.

My last question concerns the condition of the trail along my route. I hear that things are not well marked, and that the trail can be overgrown, making things confusing. If anyone can pass along some information and advice about this, that would be very helpful.

Images

heads up----there's closures and required bear canisters for that area...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc/...ces/?aid=27413

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    heads up----there's closures and required bear canisters for that area...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc/...ces/?aid=27413
    Thanks for the alert. I'll start considering an alternate site for overnighting, but sure I hope that the area opens up to overnighting by end of June, which is when I plan on going there.

The bear canister is already on the list. Still trying to decide on the size, but I plan on getting a Wild Ideas Bearikade.

Images

I wouldn't get my hope up about it opening up any time soon...

my my guess is that it will be closed all year.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    I wouldn't get my hope up about it opening up any time soon...

my my guess is that it will be closed all year.....
    Just what I needed! Okay, I'll start thinking of alternatives.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Alert: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/...stelprd3832543

Even with the camping allowed, you have to be real careful when camping around Graveyard. You need to study exactly where you camp. If you camp on NPS property, you will be ticketed. So carry a NatGeo map.

Its been a few years, but I remember there are a couple wooden footbridges and boardwalk in the fields of Graveyard from Upper Falls to Second Falls. Graveyard seems like a huge expanse but it can walk all in a day hike.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

yep definitely need a bear canister

Images

I hiked the Art Loeb Trail, sections 3 and 4 (north of the Blue Ridge Parkway) last weekend prior to this one. The volunteer "ranger" at the trailhead on FS #816 was turning back any over-nighting group (that he saw) lacking bear canisters. There were numerous signs at trailheads, gaps, and along the trails warning that bear canisters are required. During that weekend, TWO groups of morons camped illegally without bear canisters. They hung food bags and BOTH groups had their food stolen by bears. IDIOTS who now make it less safe for everyone who follows them! Not to mention, have now endangered the bears, as many have to be killed once they learn to steal food.

The "ranger" told me that a bear tore into a tent at Graveyard Fields (last year, I think) and took food, with hikers in the tent, who being morons ignored all the warnings and chose to sleep with their food in their tent. Again, endangering everyone else AND the bear.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

This seems to happen every 3 years or so. Graveyard fields was closed for the same reason. You go there and because of the close proximity to the BRP people haul all kinds of stuff from their cars into the area.

I have a good feeling it will be closed for a while and I hope the Bear canisters will be lifted in this area as well. It may be a permanent fixture. Would not surprise me with all the garbage that gets left in the area.

Stinks, I really love going to Shinning Rock. Was planning to go thier this spring, had to make other plans.
    Floyd

I just got off of the phone after talking to one of the Rangers at the Pisgah Ranger Station. The Ranger was so helpful and friendly!

First, I learned that there is no camping within 1,000 feet of any roadway in the area. I had been under the impression that the required distance is 500 feet. Good to know.

Second, there is no overnight camping permitted at the headwaters of Yellowstone Prong where it intersects with the Mountains to the Sea Trail. I am not sure if this is temporary and related to the bear issue; I forgot to ask. Along my intended routes that are east of Black Balsam Road/FS 816 (Graveyard Fields, Mountains to the Sea Trail), there is no overnighting permitted, at least at this time. On the other hand, Black Balsam Knob is outside of the restricted area, so it looks like I am going to change the location for the overnight that I was planning for the headwaters area of Yellowstone Prong to BBK. I just hope that the weather allows it, since I hear that it can get cold and windy up there. If not, then I'll continue along the MST over to the west side of Black Balsam Road, where it overlaps with the Art Loeb Trail, and I'll look for something in that area for the first night's camp site.

Third, campfires are permitted at my intended camp sites. I am bringing an MSR Micro Rocket and gas along for cooking, but I am a newbie that is testing how many boils I (an inefficient newbie) can get from a canister. This will also give me the chance to see real world burn times on my new Black Diamond Revolt and Moji lights--yes, I am bringing spare batteries--while having an extra security blanket of a campfire at night. Plus, I like the idea of having campfires at night. (Yes, I plan to look for previously used fire sites.)

Given the restrictions on overnighting, I now plan to park in the lot at Graveyard Fields instead of near Sam Knob Summit, and I'll make that my start/end point. I'll skip exploring the falls on the first day, instead hiking to and overnighting at the Black Balsam Knob location. I'll make the second camp at Flat Laurel Creek. On the way back, I'll either camp west of Black Balsam Road, since I will have had the chance to inspect that area on the way out, or I'll go back to Black Balsam Knob. I'll check out the falls at Graveyard Fields on the hike out to the parking lot.

I still don't know the condition of the trails and how well they are marked along my planned route, but all of my research indicates that one can still navigate the area without much chance of getting lost. I guess that I'll find out.

Thanks for everybody's help.

There is good camping on the west side of the roa

There is good camping on the west side of the road on the Art Loeb (headed towards the fish hatchery). Past the pine forest but before you descend to the parkway.

let us know how the trip goes.

It is a great area!
    Floyd

Thanks for everyone's help! Psyched!

Thanks for everyone's help! Psyched!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I remember there is a decent tenting area on the MST route in between Graveyard Ridge Trail and Second Falls. But thats probably in the restricted area.

Contact the Pisgah Inn, they might be able to give you some more detailed info. And check hikewnc.info

Scot Ward's MST Thru-hiker manual is about the best source of trail info for the MST in that area.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks! I am reading all suggestions.

++ New Posts ++