WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Insoles to fix foot problems?

I'm looking for an insole to put into my mid height hiking boots. That is supportive but doesn't feel like walking on golfballs like the Superfeet. Tried those and hurt so much couldn't stand it. So needing support plus cushion. Have very high arches and feet roll inward toward big toe.

thanks for any suggestions

If you're really looking to solve foot problems I would suggest orthotics, though they are pricey as heck!

Your best bet is to see a podiatrist that works with runners and hikers. Next best might be a local runner store that knows what they're talking about.

I'm diabetic and i have custom insoles. What i found the secret to be is to work your way into the insoles. Start an hour a day and slowly work up to wearing them all the time. Then work your way up to longer hikes with a pack. If you put them in and then go hike 20 miles with a full pack you are going to injure your feet.

God luck!

You could try Sole. They are moldable. Heat em up and mold them to your foot.

That may make your feet feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    You could try Sole. They are moldable. Heat em up and mold them to your foot.

That may make your feet feel better.
    You could try Sole

I use these and love them

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Forget the torture devices.. er superfeet.. get the nice spongy spencos!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Airgirl View Post
    ....feel like walking on golfballs like the Superfeet. Tried those and hurt so much couldn't stand it.

......Have very high arches and feet roll inward toward big toe.

Those 2 statements are opposing. It feels like you have golfballs under your feet because you dont have high arches, and are using a high arch insert.

You cant fix a foot problem with a comfortable insert that accomodates, or molds to, the problem.

You can reshape a foot over time, to get rid of the problem. This is what real orthotics do. It is not comfortable at first.

See a podiatrist.

When the ankle rolls inward, it puts the whole body out of alignment. Every joint shifts a little to maintain balance. Ankle, knee, hip, back. This is the root cause of many peoples issues, that they never will correct.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-26-2015 at 04:30.

I'll add that podiatrists are expensive but sometimes your insurance will cover a certain percentage of the cost for insoles and the visit to the office. My work's insurance will cover 80% after I hit my deductible. Check into your statement of benefits!
    --
    Vinny, Aspiring 2016 AT NOBO
    Shameless blog plug: http://appalachiantrials.com/author/vinny-tagliatela/

After regularly walking for over ten years, I started to get foot pain that grew to the point where I was worried that I would wind up in a wheelchair in a few more years. I went to the podiatrist, was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, and I tried several treatments. Everything helped temporarily, but things continued to decline overall. Finally, I found two great people that changed everything for me.

First, I found a physical therapist that showed me exercises using a latex stretch band. This went beyond the usual stretching that most people suggest. These exercises did two things: they almost instantly took away the pain after being on my feet all day, and they built strength in the affected muscle groups, which helped to prevent the painful episodes (over time).

The second thing that I did was to find a pedorthist to make a set of custom orthotic inserts for my shoes, and to tell me which shoes to buy that would be most supportive for my foot condition. (Before this, I tried generic orthotics, and I even tried more expensive versions that were not custom made. They helped, but I was still having bad pain.) The custom set was made, I wore them for two weeks(building up the number of hours per day), and then I returned, and they made adjustments to them, and then we kept repeating the process until they were properly fitted. Finding a place that will do this is key!

Neither of these things worked overnight. It takes a long time to recover from the years of damage that finally brings on the pain. However, after being forced to stop my exercise walks for several years, I am now back to walking the same mileage as I used to before this all started, and I am able to start hiking and backpacking again. I am virtually pain free again.

An easy next step might be to find one of those Dr. Scholl's machines you stand on and it tells you which insole product to purchase. I've seen these at Wal-mart. This doesn't infer that these machines or products are an answer to all or any foot problem but rather just another option to consider.

A lot of the posts cover some pretty significant foot problems. I don't have big problems. I have high arches with a wide foot at the front and a narrow heel. Bad combo trying to find boots wide enough in the front where my heel is not swimming in the back. I use a half insert that cups the heel, only offers a little arch support since I don't need it, and leaves all the room I want in the front. It stabilizes my heel and they work great for me but I don't really have any painful foot problems, just a challenging fit. Have you tried a half insert? Assuming of course that your feet are generally healthy.

Dr. Fiasco,

I live in the same hometown as you. lets get a hold of each other.

Regarding insoles. I have never been involved in a more devisive, personal topic.

Podiatrist insoles ruined my hike from last year. I do not use them anymore and use the moldable soft soles. Had to go to Outdoor 76 in Franklin and learned more about my foot than the ahem, doctor.

Insoles also at times change the way that a shoe may function as well. What may work with one will not work with the other. Ideally it should be a package deal shoe/boot and insole, and don't forget the socks.

I have learned to massage my feet and take better care of them. Also I will go way out of my way to find someone who knows what they are talking about. Without good feet, your going nowhere.

custom orthotics are the way to go. expensive but can be made to last and be lightweight

I started using Sofsole Airr Orthotic insoles a few years ago and never looked back, anytime I get a new pair of shoes, I get a pair of these as well... http://sofsole.com/product/Airr_Orthotic

Podiastrist? Tried it. Worthless waste of money, except for one thing he said - " OTC orthotics are as good as any I could prescribe, and you' be able to afford more than one pair." Then he gave me a pamphet I could have downloaded from the internet for free, for some pointless exercises that did nothing.

I then spent about $300 trying all the OTC inserts I could find. The only ones that helped were "Sof sole" that I found at Gander Mountain, where they also had a gadget that measured my arch so that I got the right ones. And I agree - Superfeet feel like you have a rock in your shoe.

After a week on the trail with a pair of Danner boots and those insoles my plantars WAS GONE.

I'd try "Powerstep® ProTech Full Length" first. I bought mine at Amazon for about $25 dollars. They really helped me. I run and backpack in them. If those don't work, it's off to the podiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    Podiastrist? Tried it. Worthless waste of money, except for one thing he said - " OTC orthotics are as good as any I could prescribe, and you' be able to afford more than one pair." Then he gave me a pamphet I could have downloaded from the internet for free, for some pointless exercises that did nothing.

I then spent about $300 trying all the OTC inserts I could find. The only ones that helped were "Sof sole" that I found at Gander Mountain, where they also had a gadget that measured my arch so that I got the right ones. And I agree - Superfeet feel like you have a rock in your shoe.

After a week on the trail with a pair of Danner boots and those insoles my plantars WAS GONE.
    Forgot to give you a link. Sofsole "Fit" series: https://sofsole.com/product/Neutral_Arch

Quote Originally Posted by Airgirl View Post
    I'm looking for an insole to put into my mid height hiking boots. That is supportive but doesn't feel like walking on golfballs like the Superfeet. Tried those and hurt so much couldn't stand it. So needing support plus cushion. Have very high arches and feet roll inward toward big toe.

I had the same problem -- Superfeet hurt more than they helped. I found the solution in Vibram Fivefingers. They are all I wear and I no longer have foot pain.
    Shutterbug

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post

Hmm. My experience was the exact opposite. I came down with a extremely painful case of plantar fasciitis last year. I was limping around in pain every day. Podiatrist gave me a steroid injection, some relatively inexpensive ($40) off-the-shelf insoles not available in stores, and recommended stretching exercises, some using towel, etc. Have been pain free for over a year. I guess it's a YMMV situation - the doctor's treatment, the insoles, and the exercise all helped.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++