WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Neels Gap to NCState line

I'm still looking for info about how many days it will take to reach NC state line from Neels Gap. Looking to shuttle back to springer. Any ideas

Journal Entries

Bly gap is not a convenient place.
    Do you actually mean that, or dicks creek gap, or deep gap.

The answer really depends on person regardless. Could be 3-6 days.

We are starting at springer on a Friday morning and wanted to cover GA. Stopping at Neels Gap for resupply and break. I really don't have more time past the next Friday. I know it's hard to really know exact stopping point. I'm not going to push the milage because you get exhausted and take away the enjoyment. Trying to figure out a possible take out spot and the best way to handle a shuttle.
    Any idea about a cost from dicks creek back to state park by springer??

If I recall correctly, we did GA in about 1 week without feeling like we were pushing it at all in 2011. It also rained a lot. I can't recall what the first good place to get off the trail is after the state line.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

Journal Entries

Are you starting from fs42 parking lot at springer, or amicalola?
    To tag springer summit from fs42 adds 0.9 mile, amicalola adds 8.8.

Springer to dicks creek gap is 69.6
    Springer to bly gap (state line) is 78.5
    Springer to deep gap, nc is 85.4

At bly gap you have to backtrack and hike down a forest service rd i think a couple miles, not much 1-2 miles i think.I met a dayhiker there with a dog who came up that way. Trail isnt highly maintained though. I dont know much about it, but its not that well used . Or you can backtrack to dicks creek, or go forward to deep gap.

Most newbies can get to dicks creek gap in a week with average weights. Thats 10 mpd. To hit bly gap and get out to forest rd, looking at about 82 miles total.or 12 mpd for 7 days. Deep gap would be 13 mpd. Your off trail mileage to shelters and water sources will add another mile or so per day on top of trail miles.

Registered User Broken Butterfly's Avatar

Call the hikerhostel.com. 770-312-7342 in Dahlonega, GA. They will shuttle to Springer and schedule a pick up. Even have rooms for rent. My husband and I are hiking to Bly Gap and back to Blue Rdge Gap for pick up. We were informed we would have to hike about 0.5 miles to a paved road from Blue Ridge Gap for pick up. We are taking our time, 9 days from Springer mountain to pick up point this summer. Happy hiking.
    Some people will always throw stones in your path. It depends on you what you make with them, Wall or Bridge? Remember you are the architect of your life. author unknown.

Check the shuttle list on this site. Sally lives in hiawassee and makes this trip. It's about 1.5 hour drive back to springer. Cost is about 60 to 80

My husband and I just did this trip last month. We started at Amacalola Falls Lodge on Sunday morning and made it to Dicks Creek Gap on Friday Afternoon. We left Neels Gap on Wednesday morning.

We drove to Hiawassee and parked our car at Sally and Joyce's house (3 miles from Dicks Creek) and Sally shuttled us to Amacalola Falls. Price for shuttle was $90. and $15 to drop our car off at Dicks Creek on Friday morning.

Sally and Joyce (706)896-9339

Hope this helps

Now that's a thought to reverse my shuttle as originally planned. I was going to leave car at Amacalola state park and shuttle back to wherever we made it to. Hiawasee sure would be quicker on tail end.

++ New Posts ++