WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Two questions

Default Two questions

#1, How do most folks get to Springer? I'm from Michigan and I was thinking of renting a vehicle(one way) and driving down. Looking for better suggestions.

#2, What is the latest reasonable date to start a NOBO from Springer with hopes of finishing the entire trail?

Thanks

Journal Entries

#2 how many miles per day do you hike? Is that a long set pace?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you can average 10mpd, it will take 6.7 months and if you can average 15mpd, it will take 4.4 months.

So not knowing anything about your abilities, I'm going to guess you need to allow 5.5 months. I think the state park at the terminus closes around mid-October, so I would say for the average person, you need to start no later than the first of May.

Flying one way from Detroit to ATL would be a lot cheaper than renting a car. You could save a few bucks taking the bus but you would spend most of your savings on food for the two day trip. Train would be the most expensive and longest. From the airport you can take the subway to the north side of atlanta. You hire a shuttle to pick you up from there.

Fly in on your "magic carpet" Just kiddin. No really.

Images

Public transit to Atlanta - air, train, bus, whatever. Shuttle to Springer. The most convenient is The Hiker Hostel, which will pick you up in Atlanta, give you a bed for the night and a great breakfast, and a ride to the trail. (Note that you'll need to take the local commuter train to the farthest north/east stop where they will get you.)

If you are starting any time after mid-May, you will have to push to reach Katahdin before it closes for the winter to ordinary hikers. One good option is to start now at Harper's Ferry and hike north to Katahdin, then flip back to HF and hike south to Springer. Lots of good reasons to do this besides the timing - you get perfect weather all the way, and you get to "finish" twice.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

1. Pretty much most hikers get dropped off at Springer or AFSP. AFSP has long term parking. Either have family/friends drop you off, or look into a Shuttle service. Survivor Dave and other local shuttlers can pretty much pick you up within a reasonable distance of the trail. If you are planning to fly, do so through Atanta then MARTA then shuttle. Some shuttlers will pick up at AMTRAK.

2. Right now, being May, a number of college kids are starting being the end of school. The main part of a NOBO is to start early enough so you won't get hit by the South's heat and make it to Maine by Oct 15ish.
    Sounds like it will be easier to start a SOBO or a Flip-Flop.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 05-27-2015 at 13:21.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

GAME 06

For #2 it depends on how fast you are willing to hike (or if you have the physical ability to go fairly fast) and also whether you are arriving at the start already in good shape. Most arrive out of shape and are not interested in going fast.

On my AT thru at age 51 I arrived in pretty good shape. I left Springer May 1 and finished on Sept 17th - and I took 12 zeros. So starting now and finishing by Oct 15 is quite doable. Depending on all those intangibles.

With regard to the logistics of getting there. Fly to Atlanta and consider the Hiker Hostel special.

Dahlonega-Hostel: A.T. Hiker Hostel run by Josh and Leigh Saint, (770)312-7342, www.hikerhostel.com., administrator(at)hikerhostel.com, $55 thru-hikers special includes pickup at N. Springs MARTA station in Atlanta, overnight stay in hostel, resupply stop at outfitters, B, and shuttle to Springer or Amicalola. Gear shipment to hostel available.

I think the price is different from what is posted here but they will pick you up at the designated Marta station, provide an overnight stay, give you your choice of fuel and transport you either to the State Park to hike (8.8 miles) to Springer or the Springer Mountain parking area which is .9 miles from the AT trail start.

Sounds like a simple and smart start to an AT hike.

Check out megabus!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    (Note that you'll need to take the local commuter train to the farthest north/east stop where they will get you.)
    Minor correction...you want the farthest north station which is North Springs. Don't get on the farthest northeast station which is Doraville. If you do get on the Doraville train you can change trains at Lindberg Station.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Minor correction...you want the farthest north station which is North Springs. Don't get on the farthest northeast station which is Doraville. If you do get on the Doraville train you can change trains at Lindberg Station.
    Right, sorry, this is why I don't give specific directions The hostel folks or the shuttle driver will tell you exactly where they can pick you up.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

some people flies down to atlanta and gets the hiker hostel to shuttle them, on all of my thru's ( three ) i started in mid-feb and loved every minute of it cause their was no bugs no people not too hot less trash so yeah if you have a little bit of experience with hiking i would suggest you start anytime between Feb and April

Images

Try to locate a ride share. Good if you have more people to share expense.

++ New Posts ++