WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cottage Quilt Makers

Hi -
    I'd like to get a nice quilt to use in warmer months in my hammock as well as use to supplement my cold weather sleeping bag during winter and would like to do business with a local cottage type supplier.

Can you guys advise some links??

Thanks,
    FFN

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

I just received a 40 deg quilt from EE. I will be testing it out on a 5 day trip in June and then throughout the summer into the fall.

Another vote for Enlightened Equipment. I have a 20 degree Revelation from them, along with a 40 degree underquilt. Good prices, and great products.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Images

Any of the cottage quilt makers are well regarded. In addition to Enlightened Equipment there are these --

Jacks R Better -- http://www.jacksrbetter.com

Kickass Quilts from Arrowhead Equipment -- http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ic_Quilts.html

Underground Quilts -- http://www.undergroundquilts.com

Wilderness Logics -- http://wildernesslogics.com/main.sc
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I love my Underground Quilt. Many options. Custom order just the way you want it.

all the vendors mentioned at hammockforums.net are worth mentioning.

I have only ever ordered from hammock gear

I might hit up wilderness logics for a tadpole tarp though

I like all the length options with the UG quilts, my wife doesn't need a full length but a 3/4 would be too short. The 7/8th sounds just right.

ARG...
    I have nothing meaningful to say until next week, but I really, really hope to add my name to that list shortly.

Just A Quilt- 0.1
    Model Temp Ounces Grams
    SUL 45 13.59 387.25
    Regular 45 14.93 425.64
    Big Guy 45 18.32 522.23

I'll be looking for that post. We are in need of three.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    ARG...
    I have nothing meaningful to say until next week, but I really, really hope to add my name to that list shortly.

Just A Quilt- 0.1
    Model Temp Ounces Grams
    SUL 45 13.59 387.25
    Regular 45 14.93 425.64
    Big Guy 45 18.32 522.23
    synthetic or down? Because you've been so good to me Just Bill. you have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    synthetic or down? Because you've been so good to me Just Bill. you have my support.
    Synthetic-
    As I recently received my official approval as vendor- I can say specifically Primaloft Gold.
    I may use some Apex for certain pieces, but very excited to be one of the few globally, and perhaps the only US vendor making Primaloft Gold quilts.
    I found one guy in Japan, but no one else offering this product. I'm not positive, so call it speculation. I haven't looked hard enough to claim it.

Lot's of fine folks mentioned above, plenty of fine down gear out there. In the above freezing range synthetic still has many advantages and if you balance weight and cost I think it's the clear winner in 40 degree and up pieces. Sometime between 35 and 20 degrees the advantage tends to fall to down. I'll be adding a 25 degree synthetic to the line but likely won't venture into down or much below those temps.

There is much more involved in making Primaloft based stuff over Apex- but the weight, feel, function, packability are worth the extra headaches I think. Still working out some final production details- but I feel pretty good about this rating system and offering a 45 and 25 quilt. Field testing and the math seem to agree- that's always a bonus!
    Suggested- Cool Average Warm Extreme
    CLO 2.76 53 43 38 33
    CLO 5.52 36 26 21 16

What I'd really like to show you is my bridge- I think that is a piece of engineering you'd be highly interested in.
    Micro bridge (including poles and suspension) is in the 10 ounce range. Comfy enough for me- but if you don't sleep well on a 20" pad- most might find it tight.

My more production minded and (slightly) more mainstream version is about 13 ounces as of the last version. I got the math sorted I think and this guy is so flat you can belly sleep deeper than an Irishman with $200 tab at the Inn @ Long Trail.

BUT I can't quite show it yet...ARGGH

My go to underquilt for the last year or so has been an Englightened Equipment Revolt and am a big fan of the Revelation top quilts ... for hanging or ground. Here's a list of cottage companies I built ... it still needs quite a bit added to it, but it's a start for an overview: Cottage Industry Hammock Underquilts

Synthetic-
    As I recently received my official approval as vendor- I can say specifically Primaloft Gold.
    I may use some Apex for certain pieces, but very excited to be one of the few globally, and perhaps the only US vendor making Primaloft Gold quilts.
    I found one guy in Japan, but no one else offering this product. I'm not positive, so call it speculation. I haven't looked hard enough to claim it.

Lot's of fine folks mentioned above, plenty of fine down gear out there. In the above freezing range synthetic still has many advantages and if you balance weight and cost I think it's the clear winner in 40 degree and up pieces. Sometime between 35 and 20 degrees the advantage tends to fall to down. I'll be adding a 25 degree synthetic to the line but likely won't venture into down or much below those temps.

There is much more involved in making Primaloft based stuff over Apex- but the weight, feel, function, packability are worth the extra headaches I think. Still working out some final production details- but I feel pretty good about this rating system and offering a 45 and 25 quilt. Field testing and the math seem to agree- that's always a bonus!
    CLO 2.76 53 43 38 33
    CLO 5.52 36 26 21 16

What I'd really like to show you is my bridge- I think that is a piece of engineering you'd be highly interested in.
    Micro bridge (including poles and suspension) is in the 10 ounce range. Comfy enough for me- but if you don't sleep well on a 20" pad- most might find it tight.

My more production minded and (slightly) more mainstream version is about 13 ounces as of the last version. I got the math sorted I think and this guy is so flat you can belly sleep deeper than an Irishman with $200 tab at the Inn @ Long Trail.

BUT I can't quite show it yet...ARGGH
    Are you up and running yet?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    +1, but this is my first quilt. I can't say what the competitors are like, but I am pleased with my Prodigy 50 degree quilt.

Lots of size configurations available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    Are you up and running yet?

Unfortunately not.

I made a business and quality decision to have these quilts made by an experienced sewing contractor who specializes in outdoor gear.
    I sew acceptably, but not with any speed or beauty. At some point I would need to go that route (as some other cottage folks have) so I made the choice to subcontract the sewing from the start and invest in prototyping new gear rather than sewing equipment.

Unfortunately coming from a construction background I'm a bit naive as to the pace of the sewing industry in general and getting the first run kinks worked out. It still looks like I am on track for the fall, perhaps early August, but as late as September.
    My "Not a Kilt" will come out a bit later but hopefully by October.

Since production slowed I got sidetracked too with a personal project (a book) but my website will hopefully be up soon.

I am not yet taking any pre-orders but the first run of quilts (opening inventory) will roughly be-
    Model Temp Count
    SUL 45 10
    REGULAR 45 25
    BIG GUY 45 10
    SUL 25 5
    REGULAR 25 10
    BIG GUY 25 5

I'm going to try to run my business as openly as I can, so when it arrives that will be my opening inventory and I have no idea how quickly that may sell (or if it sells at all). Being a responsible dad I have some reserve savings, but my wife and I have agreed to take the risk and go for it so I put as much of my money into it as I could. So much so that I don't have any fabric around to make a one-off or sew a few directly for folks... perhaps a mistake on my part.

But anywho...
    If you are interested or would like more info my e-mail is up and running at this point. [email protected]
    As I said, too early to do orders and I don't feel right even offering a pre-order or taking a deposit until I get the finished products in my hand and verify quality and specs have met expectations and I can provide a solid delivery date.

If you do have a strong interest please let me know. If it turns out there is some demand perhaps I can find a way to adjust on the fly and start an informal waiting list at least.

We all know the first week is the hardest... this hike is still heading up the damn steps of the approach trail.
    Man them falls are pretty but can't wait to get to Springer and get this thing rolling.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest.

Unfortunately not.

I made a business and quality decision to have these quilts made by an experienced sewing contractor who specializes in outdoor gear.
    I sew acceptably, but not with any speed or beauty. At some point I would need to go that route (as some other cottage folks have) so I made the choice to subcontract the sewing from the start and invest in prototyping new gear rather than sewing equipment.

Unfortunately coming from a construction background I'm a bit naive as to the pace of the sewing industry in general and getting the first run kinks worked out. It still looks like I am on track for the fall, perhaps early August, but as late as September.
    My "Not a Kilt" will come out a bit later but hopefully by October.

Since production slowed I got sidetracked too with a personal project (a book) but my website will hopefully be up soon.

I am not yet taking any pre-orders but the first run of quilts (opening inventory) will roughly be-
    Model Temp Count
    SUL 45 10
    REGULAR 45 25
    BIG GUY 45 10
    SUL 25 5
    REGULAR 25 10
    BIG GUY 25 5

I'm going to try to run my business as openly as I can, so when it arrives that will be my opening inventory and I have no idea how quickly that may sell (or if it sells at all). Being a responsible dad I have some reserve savings, but my wife and I have agreed to take the risk and go for it so I put as much of my money into it as I could. So much so that I don't have any fabric around to make a one-off or sew a few directly for folks... perhaps a mistake on my part.

But anywho...
    If you are interested or would like more info my e-mail is up and running at this point. [email protected]
    As I said, too early to do orders and I don't feel right even offering a pre-order or taking a deposit until I get the finished products in my hand and verify quality and specs have met expectations and I can provide a solid delivery date.

If you do have a strong interest please let me know. If it turns out there is some demand perhaps I can find a way to adjust on the fly and start an informal waiting list at least.

We all know the first week is the hardest... this hike is still heading up the damn steps of the approach trail.
    Man them falls are pretty but can't wait to get to Springer and get this thing rolling.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest.
    I'd be interested in checking out your prototypes to be your guinea pig for the southeastern region.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken Skullz View Post
    I'd be interested in checking out your prototypes to be your guinea pig for the southeastern region.
    Might have a slightly faster fella signed up for that already, lol.

What's going into production is version 20 ish, lol. I sold most of the prototypes off to raise funds for this venture.
    Several went to WB folks but I won't bug em to give feedback unless they choose to.
    Many of those were Apex Quilts too, not Primaloft so perhaps not a good comparison. It came down to the wire if I could pull the PL off but that was always my first choice.

I am considering a kids line or cheapie version for Scouts with Apex but that's probably next season.

Keep us posted. I'm sure you will have good support here on the forums.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++