WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PCT- Joey Camps

Default PCT- Joey Camps

Just heard from Joey Camps http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...Record-Attempt

After dealing with a bout of Lyme Disease resulting from his very inspiring AT record attempt Joey is back in good health. Apparently he even did some planning and research this time round
    He swore off long trails after the AT but thankfully is now suffering from a bout of amnesia resulting in adventure fever and is going for the unsupported PCT record.

Tomorrow!

He was planning a later start but with the permit system in place it was a bit of a pot luck, his name popped and off he goes!

After all the fun he had with his last blog he's going to use instagram this time instead- updates here-
    http://www.enjoygram.com/joey.camps

This link worked for me (a non-instagram account holder) but he's under the name Joey.Camps if you have an instagram account.
    (The dot being critical as there is another Joey Camps out there BTW)

Looks like he's ready to rock-

Best of luck to Joey!

Dance well Brother.

From FKT=http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/29/pacific-crest-trail-ca-wa?page=4

I’d like to let my intentions be known that I (Joey Campanelli -Trail Name "Flash") will be attempting to break the unsupported speed record (60 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes Anish (Heather Anderson) 2013) for hiking the entire length of the entire Pacific Crest Trail going northbound. My plan is to do the hike in a “self-supported” and “unassisted” style like Scott Williamson.
    "Self-supported" guidelines followed (Mostly adapted from the writing of Scott "Bink" Williamson):

-Walk into and out of resupply towns to purchase or pick up prepacked and mailed supplies.

-Hike as a backpacker, carrying all food and equipment between resupply towns.

-Follow the official PCT route, official re-routes included.

-Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner.

-Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the attempt.

-Honestly and thoroughly document the attempt.

-Practice Leave-No-Trace ethics.

As far as I know/understand; those are the rules I have to follow and beat Anish's time(60days, 17hours, 12minutes)

If anyone has any knows otherwise, please speak up.

I will most likely be keeping updates at my youtube channel joey camps , on instagram @joey.camps

I start Tues 5/19 at Southern Terminus

I enjoy following these, thanks for the updates bill.

Excellent! I usually don't find out about attempts until they are wrapped. HA! Will follow this one daily! Thanks for the post, Bill1

He's off and running. Did he say he put a sock in his crotch?

A little background on Joey's last years AT attempt here

And thanks Lonewolf for posting this link on another thread on how to help out. He started a fundraiser 4 days before he takes off? He doin' pretty good. $370.00 so far

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post

A little background on Joey's last years AT attempt here

And thanks Lonewolf for posting this link on another thread on how to help out. He started a fundraiser 4 days before he takes off? He doin' pretty good. $370.00 so far
    Well done!

I see he posted day 2 (5/20) and he's entering Warner Springs. I believe Warner Springs is 110 miles up the trail. That means he's averaging 55 miles a day. Mind boggling to me.
    If he makes it half way and is still on pace to break the record I might have to throw a little donation his way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Ah, das a ol' trick

I'm confused by the crowd funding thing. Isn't this an unsupported hike? Or is he raising money for a cause?

Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    I'm confused by the crowd funding thing. Isn't this an unsupported hike? Or is he raising money for a cause?
    I'm confused too but for a different reason. I thought we weren't supposed to fund vacations.
    Trillium

Reviewing the self-supported guidelines that are posted above, I don't think the gofundme page affects the legitimacy of this attempt. Now whether or not people like it, that's different. To be sure, people choose to fund all sorts of things. If this works for Joey, good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Reviewing the self-supported guidelines that are posted above, I don't think the gofundme page affects the legitimacy of this attempt. Now whether or not people like it, that's different. To be sure, people choose to fund all sorts of things. If this works for Joey, good for him.
    Not to quibble over this but it looks like the gofundme page contradicts "-Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner."

He set up a site to people could arrange to support him financially. Or is funding not considered support? I'm new to this hiking record thing. But it looks like a contradiction on it's face. If it isn't a direct contradiction it is not consistent with "Self-Supporting" and you are being supported by others, period.

That said, I'm still rooting for him. He is attempting something amazing.

Not to quibble over this but it looks like the gofundme page contradicts "-Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner."

He set up a site to people could arrange to support him financially. Or is funding not considered support? I'm new to this hiking record thing. But it looks like a contradiction on it's face. If it isn't a direct contradiction it is not consistent with "Self-Supporting" and you are being supported by others, period.

That said, I'm still rooting for him. He is attempting something amazing.
    Good question. The way I understand it, this means no support from a dedicated crew that's meeting you at prearranged locations on the trail. Positive vibes, emails, voice mails and even financial support from people off the trail are fair game.

I don't see much of a difference between gear/food sponsorship (more common) and a gofundme page. No matter how they can get there, I hope the folks attempting the trails this year stay safe, walk softly and keep that seventh guideline in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Good question. The way I understand it, this means no support from a dedicated crew that's meeting you at prearranged locations on the trail. Positive vibes, emails, voice mails and even financial support from people off the trail are fair game.

I don't see much of a difference between gear/food sponsorship (more common) and a gofundme page. No matter how they can get there, I hope the folks attempting the trails this year stay safe, walk softly and keep that seventh guideline in mind!
    Fair enough. I'm coming at this from an outsider's perspective I suppose. Thanks for helping me change my view.
    In a way, it is sort of a gray area. Personally, I would avoid it so I could be "above reproach" as it were, and no one would be able to question me. It would remove doubt.
    So I guess the way to eliminate it going forward would be for the next person to attempt successfully without accepting financial support in this manner, thus raising the bar (as I understand it above and in the other thread on hiking record differences). So the standard for Self supported PTC record attempts would have to include the line "-without financial support or crowd sourced fund raising". Does that make sense?

Again, I'm following his instagram and Youtube channel so while I may be raising a question or two, I'm excited for him and hope my questions and discussion aren't detracting in any way.

I would not call my self friends with Joey. Never met him in person, only exchanged some e-mails.

My simple impression of him is that he's full of heart, balls, and pure joy in movement. Unfortunately he seems to have spent most of his time pursuing outdoor sports and training for this hike. As a result he has not done diligent internet research nor learned every nuance of the hiking community. His AT record attempt was his first long distance hike.

His background, such as it is as a fairly young fella, is in actually doing things outside. Running, skiing, hiking, and other such skills. He was not aware of any information most hikers are aware of, nor even much information a typical FKT hiker might research. It appears that he simply got on the trail, went really fast, and dealt with the results. You may even note that Peter Bakwin's article above he has to explain this to the running community, as the concept of being disqualified for receiving medical attention is quite bewildering to them.

If one were to suspend the silly, highly debatable, and arbitrary guidelines that govern a record attempt and go simply by the clock; Joey backpacked the trail faster than any human being on the planet to date. His disqualification of claiming said record occuring because of his lack of understanding of "the rules" and general inexperience. He was injured, his father was nearby, so he put his longterm health first and got an x-ray and took a zero. Now rather than go home when said record was blown- he finished the trail. At the very least Joey is now a thru-hiker and deserves what ever respect you find appropriate for that accomplishment.

Joey was a bit confused by the fine lines and distinctions involved in FKT rules as well. My impression was that he was also hurt personally by some of the reaction to his hike. However, rather than quibble about nuances and a reasonable medical emergency, Joey manned up and accepted that even if he didn't know all the rules- he could respect them and would not attempt to claim a record. Every year hundreds of hikers claim a successful thru under similar circumstances and worse infractions.

Imagine that-
    You're just some well meaning young person having the time of your life doing something that no-one else has ever done before. And somehow you pull it off. Except that you don't quite. A relatively minor infraction disqualifies your effort.

Now if Joey was some punk ass hot shot kid you'd expect him to go kicking and screaming. Maybe even log on here and make a case for himself, debate the rules, hell, even brag about it even a little.

But he didn't. He accepted the rules, respected the record itself and dealt with it. He recovered from injuries, went back to work and got back on the trail. It was that day I was indelibly impressed.

Perhaps Joey is not a "hiker".
    Perhaps he doesn't know every inane and silly debate that has occurred, every falsely oversensitive un-written rule of the cyber-hiking community.
    Perhaps those things are so horribly immaterial to the trail that they are not worth his time.

But even so, Joey accepted these things at face value. He didn't ask for the rules to be re-written or have his name entered into the books with an asterisk. Didn't ask for credit or a pat on the back.
    He didn't ask for anything.

With no knowledge or even understanding of our community at all, he simply accepted the rules and respected the outcome.

Joey is busy hiking. I doubt he would take the time to complain if he wasn't. He just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

Joey appears by all accounts to be a class act of the highest order.
    Joey's actions speak very highly to his respect for the trail and those who walk it.
    Joey's words... they are absent. He's not sitting at a desk talking crap.

This community shows more respect to a newbie asking for six thousandth time about cheese on the trail.
    I find it sad that a fella who has gone so far, at such personal cost to show respect does not receive it in kind.
    If nothing else- the kid hiked the AT and now he's out on the PCT- didn't even stop by here and ask one stupid question.

Whatever your feelings, your weird sense of right and wrong, or nuanced debate of semantics;
    I may not know the guy, I may not be his friend, he may not care what any of you think- but I do and I find it disgusting.
    You can call it a high horse if you like, call me a liar or whatever you like as a result. What would you call yourselves?

As far as I can tell he's a fellow hiker and I don't need to know anymore or debate anything else to show him respect as such.

Do the same, or think real hard about where you stand on the trail, or if you do at all.

Just Bill- I've always read your posts and came away with either a smile or a fresh perspective or both. This is no different.

If I wrote anything to diminish Joey's awesome feat, I apologize. I'm constantly learning the old proverb that even a fool can be deemed wise if he keeps his mouth closed, or in my case he stops his fingers from typing.
    From your description, Joey seems like a right guy and I wish him all the best and will keep rooting for him.

GAME 06

Well Just Bill as you say Joey might not be talking crap, but you just did.

A lot of the above post was seriously out of line and you owe an apology to those you just insulted for no reason. I suggest you take a breath and think about what you have written before you hit send in the future.

I have read all of the above and there was not one person who disrespected Joey in any way. Folks are just talking about legitimate issues as related to setting some kind of record. Records by definition need to be set to some kind of standard and figuring out what those standards are is perfectly normal. As time has shown us standards for records in all sports involve lots of discussion and are very frequently changed. I am not sure why you seem to find this objectionable.

Joey jumped into setting a record on the AT without the requisite knowledge he should have had to make a record attempt and violated the 'guidelines' we have been talking about in a couple of ways. He accepted the ride from his father and he met his family at a trailhead and accepted a meal from them. No one gets to set a record in a sport without having to meet the 'rules' as they are set so there is nothing special about his not complaining as there was no cause for complaint. He simply messed up. But he did really well and that failure likely motivates him tremendously today. And what he did do was pretty amazing to everyone.

I expect that everyone here wants him to succeed while following the highest standards. I see no evidence otherwise.

So man up and walk your out of line comments back a bit.

Irony-
    One fella who don'towe one offers an apology.
    One fella who mightowe one demands an apology.
    An I'm one lying sonof a Bitch who will do neither.

I named no names,seems most call themselves out given the chance.
    And one need notoffend on every mile of a twenty mileday to offend.

Ranter, raver,self-important, or out of line liar I may often be;
    But to my left is myname for all to read, and my pretty mug for all to see.
    I walk and talk thesame; cyber trail or real one.

There is only onehard, fast and immutable rule in regards to an FKT.
    Personal honor andintegrity of the record setter.
    I would gladly flyoff the handle to defend such a person as deserves it.
    Ironically I wouldlikely do the same for any hiker.

Images

Fair enough. I'm coming at this from an outsider's perspective I suppose. Thanks for helping me change my view.
    In a way, it is sort of a gray area. Personally, I would avoid it so I could be "above reproach" as it were, and no one would be able to question me. It would remove doubt.
    So I guess the way to eliminate it going forward would be for the next person to attempt successfully without accepting financial support in this manner, thus raising the bar (as I understand it above and in the other thread on hiking record differences). So the standard for Self supported PTC record attempts would have to include the line "-without financial support or crowd sourced fund raising". Does that make sense?

Again, I'm following his instagram and Youtube channel so while I may be raising a question or two, I'm excited for him and hope my questions and discussion aren't detracting in any way.
    Yeah you're not making any sense. How does it matter where the money came from? What if kirk's parents were mexican drug dealers and paid for his hike?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    If one were to suspend the silly, highly debatable, and arbitrary guidelines that govern a record attempt and go simply by the clock; Joey backpacked the trail faster than any human being on the planet to date.
    ahem mr verbose...Jenn'd
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Irony-
    One fella who don'towe one offers an apology.
    One fella who mightowe one demands an apology.
    An I'm one lying sonof a Bitch who will do neither.

I named no names,seems most call themselves out given the chance.
    And one need notoffend on every mile of a twenty mileday to offend.

Ranter, raver,self-important, or out of line liar I may often be;
    But to my left is myname for all to read, and my pretty mug for all to see.
    I walk and talk thesame; cyber trail or real one.

There is only onehard, fast and immutable rule in regards to an FKT.
    Personal honor andintegrity of the record setter.
    I would gladly flyoff the handle to defend such a person as deserves it.
    Ironically I wouldlikely do the same for any hiker.
    Big Hike: the first iOS app for the AT and BMT

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++