WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default For a cuben fiber tent, what weight (0.51 or 0.74) is ideal?

Sometime this year I am going to take the plunge and buy my first cuben tent, probably from ZPacks. Their standard option is for 0.51 weight cuben. But, for a few bucks and a few ounces in weight, you can upgrade to 0.74 cuben.

I know very little about this, but it seems that for a couple of ounces getting the heavier material probably makes sense. Are there any cuben geniuses out there who can comment and make a recommendation? Thanks!

Journal Entries

IDK what weight I got, 2013 Heximid model standard non-requested weight. Held up just fine for a thru and beyond. Also a beautiful and very functional minimal tent.

I have the standard .51 ZPacks duplex. Awesome tent. They wouldn't sell a fabric if they didn't feel it would hold up. The floor is made from 1.0 oz fabric anyway and that's where it counts.

Honestly, if you're going cuben fiber, go all the way or just stick to old school material. That's my two cents.

Journal Entries

O.51 is fine for a tent canopy.
    If its used and handled with care.

It will stand up to rain.
    It will not stand up rocks, stick, animals, pointy things.
    It is easily repaired with tape, both temporarily in field and permanently.

I find zpacks choices dead on. 0.51 is ok for canopies, 0.74 is too light for ground. Most other mfg have both these wrong imo.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    O.51 is fine for a tent canopy.
    If its used and handled with care.

It will stand up to rain.
    It will not stand up rocks, stick, animals, pointy things.
    It is easily repaired with tape, both temporarily in field and permanently.

I find zpacks choices dead on. 0.51 is ok for canopies, 0.74 is too light for ground. Most other mfg have both these wrong imo.
    Well it will stand up to some level of 'rocks, stick, animals, pointy things' it is pretty durable stuff but not indestructible either.

Sounds like the lighter weight (0.51) works just fine. For the tent I am looking at, the heavier weight (0.74) is +$15 and +2.2 ounces. I'm thinking that is such a small weight increase that it is worth it for a tad more piece of mind.

Thanks for the input. These tents are so expensive and it is tough to see them before you buy, so thoughts are appreciated.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Well it will stand up to some level of 'rocks, stick, animals, pointy things' it is pretty durable stuff but not indestructible either.
    I would not call 0.51 "durable" at all. It must be used with care. My son threw a marble sized rock. It went thru both sides of my hex canopy. Tearing a 1" hole, and a 6" slit. How durable does that sound?

Contact your canopy with anything abrasive , and it will have pinholes in it. It can stand wind, and rain.

Someone posted once a squirrel destroyed theirs while away from camp. Sharp little claws and 0.51 are not a good combo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-15-2015 at 18:42.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I would not call 0.51 "durable" at all. It must be used with care. My son threw a marble sized rock. It went thru both sides of my hex canopy. Tearing a 1" hole, and a 6" slit. How durable does that sound?....
    If throwing a marble sized rock caused that you got a defective CF tent. No way could it do that.

My experience has been very different with 0.51. I threw with great force my pack into my setup hexamid due to it pouring rain. I did not realize that I still had a hiking stick with that hardened carbon steal tip (or whatever it was made of). Well that point contacted the tent wall with the full weight of the thrown pack behind it. This tip BTW was leading the way and the point of impact on the tent.

Did the 0.51 withstand the onslaught. Well unfortunately not I did manage to break through the laminate however the tip did not penetrate the fabric but was stopped by the fibers. Causing a very minor hole in the lamination with a few threads still traversing it. It was permanently repaired with less then a dime's size of CF tape.

Now there has been some CF that has not measured up, and to be quite frank I don't know how to get the 'better' CF, but it can stand up to quite a bit more then you make it seem
    Last edited by Starchild; 05-15-2015 at 18:59.

Default For a cuben fiber tent, what weight (0.51 or 0.74) is ideal?

Quote Originally Posted by starchild View Post
    if throwing a marble sized rock caused that you got a defective cf tent. No way could it do that.

My experience has been very different with 0.51. I threw with great force my pack into my setup hexamid due to it pouring rain. I did not realize that i still had a hiking stick with that hardened carbon steal tip (or whatever it was made of). Well that point contacted the tent wall with the full weight of the thrown pack behind it. This tip btw was leading the way and the point of impact on the tent.

Did the 0.51 withstand the onslaught. Well unfortunately not i did manage to break through the laminate however the tip did not penetrate the fabric but was stopped by the fibers. Causing a very minor hole in the lamination with a few threads still traversing it. It was permanently repaired with less then a dime's size of cf tape.

Now there has been some cf that has not measured up, and to be quite frank i don't know how to get the 'better' cf, but it can stand up to quite a bit more then you make it seem
    gauntlet thrown sir!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    If throwing a marble sized rock caused that you got a defective CF tent. No way could it do that.

My experience has been very different with 0.51. I threw with great force my pack into my setup hexamid due to it pouring rain. I did not realize that I still had a hiking stick with that hardened carbon steal tip (or whatever it was made of). Well that point contacted the tent wall with the full weight of the thrown pack behind it. This tip BTW was leading the way and the point of impact on the tent.

Did the 0.51 withstand the onslaught. Well unfortunately not I did manage to break through the laminate however the tip did not penetrate the fabric but was stopped by the fibers. Causing a very minor hole in the lamination with a few threads still traversing it. It was permanently repaired with less then a dime's size of CF tape.

Now there has been some CF that has not measured up, and to be quite frank I don't know how to get the 'better' CF, but it can stand up to quite a bit more then you make it seem
    I assure you a sharp edged spinning rock thrown at 40-50 mph can do it.
    And, a falling stick, or possibly even pointy tipped falling large pine cone can put pinholes too.
    Pine needles have reportedly perforated 0.74 cuben groundsheets.
    A trekking pole tip is quite blunt. Try something pointier, like a cactus needle.

There is simply no way to call anything a squirrel can perforate with its claws by jumping and climbing on, durable IMO.

I have the standard .51 zpacks duplex as well. I use a tyvek type material groundsheet and it seems to be more than enough protection.

Section Hiker

I just got a Zpacks Duplex for my Scout and I with the standard weights (with the blue top). The top is the thinner one, but the bottom comes standard as the thicker one. I'm very, very impressed with it so far. I think you'd be safe with the thinner top, but like someone said it's not that much more money or weight to upgrade. I can tell you the Duplex is light, very easy to set up and has plenty of space for 2 adults--and your stuff/packs. Zpacks is awesome!

ZpacksDuplex.JPG

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I'm on the same boat as the OP. This thred is making me uncomfortable about spending the money for the duplex .74 I would like to have. Yes it's 3.5 lbs lighter then my limelight 2p which is an amazing savings but it's 3 times the cost. if either tent fails either will need to be repaired in the field. I can only assume one can only play the hand they are delt at this point.

The 0.51 has been perfectly fine for my Hexamid Twin - over 100 nights on it so far. I would not personally feel the need to go with the 0.74 for my next cuben shelter canopy.

Images

I made my mid from .51 I would not use cuben for the floor regardless of the weight.

Images

I would get the thicker fabric. For a nominal cost and slight weight difference, I would go for it.

Just think, around camp in the woods this would be HUGE bragging rights.

Seriously, CF is def a fabric to be careful with, last think that you want is a hole or tear that you cannot fix. I had one 1st year with mine, had to fix it with an acorn and dental floss.

I've never had an issue with my .51 cuben gear. I agree with Starchild- a small rock should not penetrate the material

Great thread. How does the .51 hold up to hail?

I've been in rain, snow and hail inside my hexamid ... No issues at all except snow load has to be shaken off every so often to avoid the walls closing in (not designed as a four season tent). Some major winds as well. I've never had a hole either although I carry cuben tape if I need to fix anything. CF is all about ounce shaving. I don't see a need to voluntarily add ounces back. Maybe it makes sense for someone hard on their gear.

Images

Here another consideration. Holes in Cuben are dirt simple to fix. A simple piece or tape gives you a permanent fix. So even if a kid throws a 60mph rock through your shelter it can be repaired to as good as new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++