WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Or to save a few grams, Simmerlite.
    Or, to cook in style, a Svea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

My husband and I have used the Esbit stove for 6 years and half the AT. I would never consider anything else. Lighter, more compact, easier, more efficient, safer, dependable...it is all good. You always know how much fuel you have. Perfect for bounce boxes. One tablet for dinner cooks most meals if you have a pot cozy, windscreen and lid.

I grew up on 123 Svea stoves, graduated to whisperlite, looked at cannister & alcohol stoves....none have all the esbit benefits.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
    My husband and I have used the Esbit stove for 6 years and half the AT. I would never consider anything else. Lighter, more compact, easier, more efficient, safer, dependable...it is all good. You always know how much fuel you have. Perfect for bounce boxes. One tablet for dinner cooks most meals if you have a pot cozy, windscreen and lid.

I grew up on 123 Svea stoves, graduated to whisperlite, looked at cannister & alcohol stoves....none have all the esbit benefits.
    What is that particular odor that comes out when the foil cover is removed from the esbit...is that fish soup? raw fish? soon they will make bear canisters just for esbit just kidding....love the smell of esbit

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    What is that particular odor that comes out when the foil cover is removed from the esbit...is that fish soup? raw fish? soon they will make bear canisters just for esbit just kidding....love the smell of esbit
    That would be ammonia and formaldehyde. Yum!

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01487a001
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...nalCode=aiha20

Journal Entries

I love my little Esbit stove as well. I use 2 tabs per day. I like to switch between my alcohol stove and the Esbit, but so far this year it's been all Esbit.

If you must varry a stove, the MSR Pocket Rocket is awesome. I sent my stove home about a month into my thru-hike once the cold weather left and haven't regretted it at all. NoStove is the best stove.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    I love my little Esbit stove as well. I use 2 tabs per day. I like to switch between my alcohol stove and the Esbit, but so far this year it's been all Esbit.
    I recently created a stove to use both esbit and alcohol. It has carbon felt on the bottom to absorb alcohol so it won't spill out and a Brian Green Esbit Tray that sits in the center for use with esbit. The best of both worlds

Esbit Alcohol Stove.JPG

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I prefer alcohol, mostly because its quiet, but also because i know exactly how much fuel i have.

But an efficient cannister setup is fine too. Its all personal preference.

If you do anything but just boil water, cannister will probably be best.
    It is funny that the thing I liked about my 40 year old Optimus 8R is the roar that it put out when cooking.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    It is funny that the thing I liked about my 40 year old Optimus 8R is the roar that it put out when cooking.

Same me reason I still dig my old Coleman peak one. Sure love quiet stoves to but something oddly soothing about the old torch sound.
    Those old stoves like yours are killer. Was my first intro to white gas heavy as hell but ya can't kill them
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

MSR whisperlite

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Same me reason I still dig my old Coleman peak one. Sure love quiet stoves to but something oddly soothing about the old torch sound.
    Those old stoves like yours are killer. Was my first intro to white gas heavy as hell but ya can't kill them
    My Coleman featherlight is still going strong, and yes the roar signals end of the day, supper on the stove.

I use a super cat on my own and a pocket rocket when I'm hiking with a partner.

Journal Entries

I recently created a stove to use both esbit and alcohol. It has carbon felt on the bottom to absorb alcohol so it won't spill out and a Brian Green Esbit Tray that sits in the center for use with esbit. The best of both worlds

Esbit Alcohol Stove.JPG
    tried to PM you...do you have this for sale? Can you PM the link? I like this versatility. Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    tried to PM you...do you have this for sale? Can you PM the link? I like this versatility. Thanks.
    It's a work in process stove. This video will show you what the stove looks like with the esbit tray. The light was too bright to show the flame pattern under a pot so I cut it short and made another one in the garage but it turned out too dark

If you want a canister stove, save yourself lots of money and buy the 3.25 ounce (3.9 with case) generic canister stove (with Piezo igniter) off Ebay for $5.58. THEY WORK. If you're worried about a good canister stove wind screen, buy the Optimus Clip-on. It is around $10 and weighs 4 ounces or less and it should nest around your pot while in your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    Sitting here laughing as I just finished replacing an o ring on my MSR Dragonfly this evening and lit it up. My neighbor came up wondering what the noise was!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    Sitting here laughing as I just finished replacing an o ring on my MSR Dragonfly this evening and lit it up. My neighbor came up wondering what the noise was!

Ah ah yes gotta love the sound of the of jet engine.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Having used and maintained both, and having seen Whisperlites fail at the pump handle, the pump body, and the fuel connection, I dispute that one "graduates" to a Whisperlite from a Svea. The only failure modes I know about on a Svea are two that I've read about (gasket failure and overpressure causing relief valve to release), but have never experienced in years of use.

Journal Entries

love my msr pocket rocket stove only thing I will ever use

Get a safe stove that fuel won't spill out once it's put in.

The ever popular "StarLye Stove"

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php
    I couldn't agree more. If you go with alcohol, go with one that is spillproof such as the Starlyte. I used a woodstove on my hike with the Starlyte as a backup. I have a few of Zelph's stoves and they all of the spillproof variety. They are SO much safer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++