WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Hiking the AT with your significant other

hey guys, I'm new here, and was looking for some input on my current situation...

I'm planning on a thru hike (2017) with my girlfriend(2 yrs. and counting). we both have extremely different perceptions of reality, and how we live life on a daily basis..

she is a full time student, who works a part time job just to make some extra spending money for her countless adventures she goes on. the vast majority of her "real" life is prepaid by mom and dad, which equals to a mindset that is quite difficult for me to relate with.

myself on the other hand, I'm an extremely stable guy.. I have had a full time job since I turned 18, and have subsequently, not traveled/adventured a whole lot because of it. full time job means full time bills as you all know, so I'm really not having an easy time deciding what the best way to go about quitting a great paying job, doing what I love, for 6 months to hike the AT, without the comfort of knowing I'll have a job when the time comes after the trail...

has anyone encountered the same type of situation as me, and are there any bits and pieces of advice/tips anyone has to offer me at this time?? its just hard for the two of us to understand one another with regards to both our financial situations.

Your situation reminds me a lot of my wife and I when we first met. The similarities outweighed the differences in our case, though. But there was a lot of learning and giving involved to get there and it meant mental and emotional flexibility on both our parts.

You are going to put some serious stress on this relationship if you try to do the AT together.

If your job and commitments are so important, hiking may not be the best use of your time. I mean, you *could* be working instead. And it sounds like maybe you'd rather be doing that.

If you say that isn't so, it's time to re-examine your values and re-prioritize your life according to what's important to you.

I dunno man, in a weird way it sounds like your girlfriend is more prepared in many ways to hike the trail then you are. Job flexibility (easier to leave her job), financials (extra money), already of the adventurous mindset, etc.

It depends on how bad you want to do it. I've heard of many people reaching agreements with their employers to take 6 months off. It depends on who you work for and what your relationship is with them. If you're a **** employee the odds of that working out aren't so good. Of course the temperament of your boss is something outside of your control.

Quitting a great paying job, "doing what you love", you may not love the AT as much as your job. And you may come to this realization on day 2 of the AT, after planning it all out, saving/spending the money you needed to, and leaving that awesome job. That would be crappy. You're a lucky guy to have found a job that you enjoy so much, maybe it's not worth it. Not everyone loves hiking enough to leave that. I do, but that's why I made sure to do it before I joined the Army.

It sounds like you and your girlfriend are very different people. There's nothing wrong with that, but those differences get amplified and become a larger factor going from real life to a sparser way of living like long distance backpacking. Then again, that's the same going from two people just dating each other to moving in together. I can't say for certain but I got the vibe from your post that you two live together. If not, you may be in for some unpleasant surprises when you all of a sudden spend every waking minute for 6 months with her. I'm not a relationship counselor, just my two cents.

I have not been exactly in your shoes, but I've for the most part worked full time since I was 18, and part time/summers since I was 14, left a great job to do the AT, and came out OK on the other side. These were just my thoughts.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Your situation reminds me a lot of my wife and I when we first met. The similarities outweighed the differences in our case, though. But there was a lot of learning and giving involved to get there and it meant mental and emotional flexibility on both our parts.

You are going to put some serious stress on this relationship if you try to do the AT together.

If your job and commitments are so important, hiking may not be the best use of your time. I mean, you *could* be working instead. And it sounds like maybe you'd rather be doing that.

If you say that isn't so, it's time to re-examine your values and re-prioritize your life according to what's important to you.
    ^Yeah, this.^ It sounds like you're asking us to answer questions that intrinsically can only be answered by you. We don't know how much you love your job, we don't know how much you love hiking. We don't know what your relationship is like. Maybe go on a week long trip with her and see.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

So, I take it doing a thru hike is her idea and not yours? If so and given your doubts, I'd say just let her go. You could supply support and there's a good chance she'll be back home in a month or so anyway. That's often the way this goes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    So, I take it doing a thru hike is her idea and not yours? If so and given your doubts, I'd say just let her go. You could supply support and there's a good chance she'll be back home in a month or so anyway. That's often the way this goes.
    Aww, slo....debbie_downer.jpg

Well yes, originally it was her idea. But I'm not completely new to the idea, my Aunt completed a thru hike a while back, and it had always been something I'd thought about (not often enough to actually plan for it though). And I think maybe I lead on about my job a bit too much, it isn't like the greatest job of all time and I would likely be able to find a replacement, it's just the thought of not having the stability that I'm used to, and dealing with the two different ways of thinking I was more interested in finding some insight about.

we both shoot for the stars with our aspirations, which is why I don't think actually hiking long distances would
    be the issue. I'm just trying to see if anyone has my same situation and could lend some advice on how you dealt with the situations.

Images

Many years ago before Whiteblaze we had an email listserve for folks who liked the AT. Almost twenty years ago a couple, Jim and Ginny Owen, who had done many thru-hikes together, wrote something called The Thru-Hiking Papers, sort of a FAQ for aspiring thru-hikers.

That's the background to my suggestion that you might find something of value in there. It's not a how-to, there's not much talk about gear -- it's more philosophical in nature. There is some specific information about hiking together with an S.O. that might apply here. But I wonder if it might get you thinking about the hike in some different ways.

Anyway, I can't answer your question - no one can, of course. But good luck figuring out everything.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My suggestion is to go on a moderately long hike together, say for a couple of weeks, and see how that works out before committing to a 5-6 month long trek.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I could give advice, but it is advice based on what I would do. You need to look long and hard at what will energize you and allow you to feel good about where you are, and where you are going in your life.

Google the poem by Nadine Stair "If I had my life to live over..."
    Simple is good.

Some couples do just fine, others divorce as soon as they get off the trail.
    I don't know how to predict what will happen...

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Not QUITE the situation you face

But the fact is that my wife and I have COMPLETELY different attitudes towards backpacking.

Getting outdoors and on the trail is my #1 passion (after my wife, of course).
    By her own admission, my wife wouldn't last a mile in the back country. The only time we went backpacking together -- we're talking ONE NIGHT -- the experience was so miserable for her that I'm surprised she didn't call a divorce attorney when it was over.

So we came up with a simple solution to our differences: I go backpacking and she doesn't. It's worked out beautifully this way; indeed, having her as someone to end a hike with has been QUITE a joy over the years.

It seems you two have a similar level of difference. Rather than one or the other of you trying to mold the other into someone s/he simply isn't, may I suggest you instead celebrate your differences, and share the things that give you joy, either individually or together? My wife loves to hear about my week on the Trail; I love to hear about the things she does that I have no interest in doing; and we also love to do a lot of things together. Sorting out which activity belongs in which category takes time and effort, but it CAN be done.

I'm going to presume you have SOME interest in backpacking, just not enough to risk a steady job by doing this for six months. May I suggest you find out how much the two of you enjoy doing this together for a "safe" length of time -- say, your week of vacation? You may find (1) you hate it, (2) you both hate it, (3) she finds the lone wolf aspect is her main joy (this is one of MY main reasons I like it) and would rather do this alone, or even (4) you love it so much that you'd gladly sacrifice your job to do the entire Trail. Nobody can say what will happen; but this little test will at least give a LOT better focus on what's important to you both.

I think two people can work out differences like this *IF* they put priority on their relationship, but it can take a lot of negotiation.
    But it's like Schroendinger's Cat -- you don't know the outcome at this point, so the best thing to do is just to open the box.

DISCLAIMER: You two may find out that your differences on this issue just can't be resolved. Of course it sucks to find out that someone, whom you really care for, has a desire for something that doesn't fit into your life plans. But it happens. So you simply feel like donkey dung and move on from there. But if this is the case, it's better to find out BEFORE you give up your job.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 04-26-2015 at 22:09. Reason: Fixed bad grammar

Garlic
    Images

My first thru hike was the PCT with my wife, who had hiked the AT solo a couple of years before. I didn't catch the long distance hiking bug until I saw the good things that happened to her on the AT. There's nothing wrong with one half of a couple supporting the other on a hike. I wasn't ready for it and I knew it. She's always been more the adventurer. We laugh when people ask me how I manage to drag my wife on trips.

Hiking a long trail together ended up strengthening our 20+ year (at the time) marriage, but at times it was like going through an annealing furnace--it wasn't easy. I was jealous of one couple we saw who were having an easier time of it. But another couple we hiked with got divorced afterwards. So from what I saw, it can go either way. How can you generalize when two unique personalities are involved?

Someone said a day on the trail is like a week in real life when you're hiking with someone. You see what a person is really made of.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Pretty much what GoldenBear said above. However, if you couldn't face the "stress" of hiking a trail, how will you face the stress of real life together?

I hike - she doesn't. I make sure everything is taken care of BEFORE I go: bills, friends to help with problems, etc. After 40 years of marriage, it seems to work so far. I'll let you know in another 40.

As to what jdc5294 said about her being "more prepared" for something like that, just from what YOU said, it seems she has everything handed to her and she can do whatever she wants without having to work for it. Not judging - just observing from one post. Full time student can be exhausting, depending on the major.

Don't jump on me, please - I'm just taking what I see at face value.

Good luck. Hope it works out.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by AC1890 View Post
    Well yes, originally it was her idea. But I'm not completely new to the idea, my Aunt completed a thru hike a while back, and it had always been something I'd thought about (not often enough to actually plan for it though). And I think maybe I lead on about my job a bit too much, it isn't like the greatest job of all time and I would likely be able to find a replacement, it's just the thought of not having the stability that I'm used to, and dealing with the two different ways of thinking I was more interested in finding some insight about.

we both shoot for the stars with our aspirations, which is why I don't think actually hiking long distances would
    be the issue. I'm just trying to see if anyone has my same situation and could lend some advice on how you dealt with the situations.
    I used to work for the man. 70+ hours every week. Leaving home at 4AM, getting home after 8 at night. Lots of awards and recognition and the finnancial reimbursement was not to be sneezed at.

Quit, hiked the AT for as long as we could for our situation (1400 miles of it, so far), moved from FL to WI and opened a shop. Financially tough on us, but it's what we decided we wanted to do with our lives and it's very rewarding.

I haven't drawn a paycheck since January of 2013. But we may break even this year and hope to turn a profit next year. And it's worth it.

Images

2017 is a long way off. Take a two week hike together and figure out if you want to do another dozen two week hikes back to back. Jobs and relationships are both double edged swords. And then there are "jobs" vs. "careers" and "girlfriend" vs. "spouse" differences. Generally the good ones require a lot of commitment - and also sacrifice. Striking a balance that will make you happy is difficult. That balance will also change as you go along. Choose wisely. You will make some mistakes as you go. Everybody does. Good luck.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I have never attempted a thru hike so take what I write with a grain of salt. However, I have done several multi-week hikes by myself and a couple with my wife. Without a doubt it is easier to hike by yourself. You will constantly be making decisions on how far to go, when to take breaks, how fast to hike, where to camp, where to resupply, etc. Guess what, it is very unlikely two people will agree on the same decisions. At least that is my case when I hike with my wife.

Images

That's interesting, because I find it much easier to hike with my wife than without her. I do enjoy her company, we have a similar hiking style, and if she's with me than I'm not worried about how things are going back home. (I think that last one is more important than many people realize, especially on a very long hike.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

double post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-26-2015 at 18:21.

Journal Entries

2017 IS a long ways away.
    If you have been together 2 years, at your age, then by then she should be your wife, engaged, or you both should be dating other people, cause you are wasting each others time and the pool of potential spouses is dwindling fast.

So, it would seem to me you will have bigger things to worry about than thru hiking with her. Either way.

Just a total strangers observation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++