WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DIY: UL sound enhancer for smart phone

I finally broke down and got me a cheap smart phone. Music from the tiny speaker is okay but could use some help, so I made a passive sound enhancer which also doubles as a carrying case. It is very simple, is made from 1/4" foam construction board and weighs 0.5 oz. This little box significantly improves the volume and fidelity of music coming out of the phone, but will still annoy the part time hikers who only want to hear the birds chirp and wind rustle the leaves.

For tools you only need a straight edge, a sharp hobby knife (Xacto) and some white glue (Elmers)

1) Measure the dimensions of your phone, length (L), width (W) and height (H).
    2) Cut two pieces of foam board 1/4" wider then the width of the phone and 1/2" longer then the length of the phone.
    3) Cut two pieces of foam board the the height of the phone and width of the above pieces.
    4) Cut one piece of foam board the length and height of the phone.
    5) Locate the speaker on the back of the phone and cut a slot into one of the large pieces of foam board to line up with the speaker when you place the phone over it.
    6) Use white glue (Elmers) to glue all the pieces together to make a box. The box will have three sides, with one of the long sides open.

The phone should be able to slide into the box for storage. To listen to music, place the phone on top of the box with the speaker above the cut out.

SAM_1300.JPGPhone in the box, couple of rubber bands keep it in place. You can see the speaker port slot on the top, left side of the box.

SAM_1301.JPGPhone sitting on the box to enhance the sound. You can use the rubber bands to hold the phone in place too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I finally broke down and got me a cheap smart phone. Music from the tiny speaker is okay but could use some help, so I made a passive sound enhancer which also doubles as a carrying case. It is very simple, is made from 1/4" foam construction board and weighs 0.5 oz. This little box significantly improves the volume and fidelity of music coming out of the phone, but will still annoy the part time hikers who only want to hear the birds chirp and wind rustle the leaves.

For tools you only need a straight edge, a sharp hobby knife (Xacto) and some white glue (Elmers)

1) Measure the dimensions of your phone, length (L), width (W) and height (H).
    2) Cut two pieces of foam board 1/4" wider then the width of the phone and 1/2" longer then the length of the phone.
    3) Cut two pieces of foam board the the height of the phone and width of the above pieces.
    4) Cut one piece of foam board the length and height of the phone.
    5) Locate the speaker on the back of the phone and cut a slot into one of the large pieces of foam board to line up with the speaker when you place the phone over it.
    6) Use white glue (Elmers) to glue all the pieces together to make a box. The box will have three sides, with one of the long sides open.

The phone should be able to slide into the box for storage. To listen to music, place the phone on top of the box with the speaker above the cut out.

SAM_1300.JPGPhone in the box, couple of rubber bands keep it in place. You can see the speaker port slot on the top, left side of the box.

SAM_1301.JPGPhone sitting on the box to enhance the sound. You can use the rubber bands to hold the phone in place too.
    I think a better idea is to use earphones...... Nobody wants to listen to your music.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I think a better idea is to use earphones...... Nobody wants to listen to your music.
    You missed part of his stated goal:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en
    but will still annoy the part time hikers
    And I'd say crappy smartphone sound will do exactly that, good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    You missed part of his stated goal:

Originally Posted by Slo-go'en

but will still annoy the part time hikers
    And I'd say crappy smartphone sound will do exactly that, good show.
    We all have ambitions I suppose, some great, some small.....

putting your phone in a cookpot will do the same exact thing

Great job on YOUR project. I think it is cool and if it works for you when convenient then great. Keep creating, keep experimenting.

It always amazes me that everyone feels the need to belittle others ideas simply for the sake of doing so.

You act as if everyone of us were born with every bit of knowledge we now have. Not one of you ever sat around at home cutting up cat food cans, tyvek, etc trying to create something you thought truly inovative right?

And every one of your creations played out perfectly right? The answer is no.

A large portion of the love of the sport for some is the satisfaction received by tinkering with common items to solve problems or satisfy needs in an innovative way....

it's called ingenuity and is what others like Jardine did 20 years ago so all us "know it all's" didn't have to bother to think it through ourselves.

As to the comment about "still annoying other hikers", it is obvious that fact was recognized and the intent is obviously to use this when courteous to do so.

It is also obvious the original comment was sarcasm, but that was apparently missed as the focus was already moved onto wordsmithing the truly original belittlements contained within.

As to the nay sayers, constructive criticism is one thing generally appreciated by others when the intent is to advance the idea or person's knowledge. Any other intent makes it an insult, not criticism.

If you intend to participate in any activity, then part of your "obligation" should be to give back with kind instruction as someone did for you.

Without those instructors or your own "trial and error" you wouldn't know it all yet either.

So either way it's ironic you now choose to belittle the same processes that awarded you your elevated status.

Quote Originally Posted by William36 View Post
    Great job on YOUR project. I think it is cool and if it works for you when convenient then great. Keep creating, keep experimenting.

It always amazes me that everyone feels the need to belittle others ideas simply for the sake of doing so.

You act as if everyone of us were born with every bit of knowledge we now have. Not one of you ever sat around at home cutting up cat food cans, tyvek, etc trying to create something you thought truly inovative right?

And every one of your creations played out perfectly right? The answer is no.

A large portion of the love of the sport for some is the satisfaction received by tinkering with common items to solve problems or satisfy needs in an innovative way....

it's called ingenuity and is what others like Jardine did 20 years ago so all us "know it all's" didn't have to bother to think it through ourselves.

As to the comment about "still annoying other hikers", it is obvious that fact was recognized and the intent is obviously to use this when courteous to do so.

It is also obvious the original comment was sarcasm, but that was apparently missed as the focus was already moved onto wordsmithing the truly original belittlements contained within.

As to the nay sayers, constructive criticism is one thing generally appreciated by others when the intent is to advance the idea or person's knowledge. Any other intent makes it an insult, not criticism.

If you intend to participate in any activity, then part of your "obligation" should be to give back with kind instruction as someone did for you.

Without those instructors or your own "trial and error" you wouldn't know it all yet either.

So either way it's ironic you now choose to belittle the same processes that awarded you your elevated status.
    If he had posted it without the aside about annoying other hikers, I would have agreed. IMHO, playing music out loud on the trail is annoying and rude. The OP realized that, but posted it anyway.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    If he had posted it without the aside about annoying other hikers, I would have agreed. IMHO, playing music out loud on the trail is annoying and rude. The OP realized that, but posted it anyway.
    I like to have a little background music while at camp, usually at dinner time and many others do too. I play trail appropriate music, heavy on the folk and blue grass which appeals to a wide audience. There are also times when one is alone at a camp and not being incumbered by earphones so you can hear whats going on around you gives you better situational awareness. Making it sound as good as possible is important, hence this little project.

I threw in the aside about annoying other (part time) hikes because I knew there would be comments critical of anyone playing music out loud, regardless. Thru hikers are much more amendable to having background music. Of course one needs to be considerate by not overdoing it too late into the evening, but even that depends on the situation and the crowd.

Amplifier.jpg
    This is what was already suggested above.
    Possibly more unidirectional so less annoying to others.
    it does not work when you are cooking and eating.

BTW, don't buy that particular radio, it's rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    This is what was already suggested above. Possibly more unidirectional so less annoying to others. it does not work when you are cooking and eating. BTW, don't buy that particular radio, it's rubbish.
    A quart Nalgene water bottle makes very nice sound with radios which have a small speaker, if you can balance the bottle over the speaker. Much better than a pot. But it doesn't work well with a smartphone and I don't carry heavy Nalgene bottles.

Slo-go'en i congratulate you on finding a useful and innovative way to make a lightweight sound enhancer. And to those putting him down, please knock it off.
    HYOH and LNT

++ New Posts ++