WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

What areyou guy's eating for lunch.

Trail Name: CaliCole
    Direction: NOBO
    Estimated Start Date: 2nd week of March
    Approach Trail: Probably not

Major changes in my life this past year. Really looking forward to leaving it all behind and recentering myself. I am quite the greenie when it comes to hiking and camping. Also training in Florida is a little challenging but I have joined the local chapter of the Florida Trail Association to get some practice hikes and camping in. What I lack in skills however is more than made up for in determination and desire!

Quote Originally Posted by dbright View Post
    What areyou guy's eating for lunch.
    Loaded question my lunches changed just about every day this past year. It depend on where I was, coming out of town or going into town I really tried to change it up.

Trail name: TowSack (Hiking partner) HazBen
    Direction: NOBO from Harpers Ferry to Katadin then HF to Springer Flip Flop
    estimated start date: last week of April or May 1
    Approach Trail: we have hiked it in the past

(TowSack and HazBen)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CaliCole View Post
    Trail Name: CaliCole
    Estimated Start Date: 2nd week of March
    Approach Trail: Probably not

Major changes in my life this past year. Really looking forward to leaving it all behind and recentering myself. I am quite the greenie when it comes to hiking and camping. Also training in Florida is a little challenging but I have joined the local chapter of the Florida Trail Association to get some practice hikes and camping in. What I lack in skills however is more than made up for in determination and desire!

Calicole. I'm in Fla also. There is some great hiking trails over your way. If you don't have all your gear try Zpacks. They are over in Palm Bay. I love their gear. All ultra lightweight

Trail Name: I'll let it be given on the trail

Estimated Start Date: mid-March
    Approach Trail - No
    any additional info that you want the world to know: Been thinking about doing this for forty years. The time is now.

Trail Name: None, at the moment.
    Direction: NoBo
    Estimated Start Date: March 22nd
    Approach Trail: Yes

I live in up-(mid)-state New York. Planning to grab a bus, most likely, down to Georgia. I graduated from college in 2014, have been working as a bouncer since then. I was fairly despondent after graduation and I lacked direction. I found out about the Appalachian Trail and thought to myself that it would be a great thing to do. It started off as a pipe-dream. I realized, though, that in my lack of direction, there was a certain freedom and that I could actually do this. I've been planning this thru-hike (as funds allow) since September of 2014. It's given me something to strive for and I've been re-energized. I welcome all advice!

Falls Village, Connecticut, United States

Trail Name: Trek
    Direction: NoBo
    Est. Start: Mid-March
    Approach Trail: Yep

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Trail Name: Prov (I caught it in the Smokies because I always try to unload excessive stuff on thru-hikers when I am sectioning. Take trail mix! Take toilet paper! Why should I bring this stuff home with me? [And why did I pack eight pounds of trail mix and two rolls of t.p.?] I walked into a shelter and someone announced, "The Provider is here".)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Direction: NOBO[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Estimated Start Date: April 19thish[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Approach Trail: Nope. Been there, done that. It is nice. I just don't need to do it again. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I've sectioned the first 700 miles over four trips (plus another 60 random miles). In the past few years, rather than spending time on the AT, I've spent my time and money exploring national parks, and heading out to trek internationally (Nepal, Pyrenees). [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Very early this year I spent a few days on the trail in Shenandoah. I remembered how simple and wonderful it was to wake up everyday and hike like it is your job. I pushed out her travel out of my brain and decided now is a great time to finally hike the whole trail. I always work like a madwoman and hoard my pennies for travel. It is worth it to get to have an experience like this. [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I plan on avoiding shelters like the plague (which they probably contain), hitting interesting blue blazed trails, biking in Damascus, trying out rafting at the NOC, and enjoying the journey.[/COLOR]

Starting a NOBO thru hike early March...not sure of the exact date but sometime within the first week. Yes on the approach trail. While I have quite a bit of hiking and primitive camping experience, this will be my first long-distance thru-hike. I'll be quitting my job in CA where I stare at two large computer screens all day, in favor of spending 5 months outside. This has been in the works for several years so I'm looking forward to heading to GA. See you on the trail!

- The Original Rusty

Trail Name: Pilgrim
    Estimated Start Date: 3nd week of Feb
    Approach Trail: Of course

3rd attempt.

Trail name gottab
    direction nobo
    estimated start date February 1 need to start early cause of work. Have plenty of winter hiking/camping experience so things will be fine.... Just slow I would imagine
    approach trail yes

Journal Entries

Trail name: none yet. Toiling Midget? (I'm short & work hard.)
    Direction: nobo
    Estimated start: end of April
    Approach trail: yes

I've wanted to thru hike the AT for 40 years. My dad attempted it in the late 80s - early 90s, when he was about the same age that I am now. He stopped after 500 miles of walking wet (he unfortunately chose one of the rainiest years to go), but then section hiked the rest of the trail over several years. I accompanied him on some of those hikes, including the hike up Mt. Katahdin. It was very inspiring to see other people finishing their thru hikes, and made me want to do it even more. Two years ago, I walked 1000 miles across part of France and all of northern Spain, and loved the experience of walking for hours every day. The AT will be much more difficult, but I look forward to it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Over 150 on the spreadsheet so far! Let me know if there are any updates or mistakes.

I noticed it is a little bit more difficult to find from the homepage. From the left pane, Menu: click on Appalachian Trail Information and then on White Blaze thru hikers. Select 'Class of 2016'.

Good Luck and Have Fun everyone!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos
    how to hike

Trail name: none yet. Tyler for now
    Direction: nobo
    Estimated start: Mid february (Aiming for 15th)
    Approach trail: yes

I'm a 17 year old graduating high school early so I can attempt a thru hike before college. Lets hope all goes well! I've done a bit of backpacking but I am a big camper and I love hiking in general.

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    Trail name: None yet, Lady None yet, and Baby None yet
    Direction: SOBO (probably, may change our minds yet)
    Estimated start date: Not yet decided, but early 2016
    Approach Trail: Yes

Lacking details for now, but we are definitely setting up to do this next year!
    Well my trail name will be Crow. My wife still hasn't decided and we haven't come up with anything for our son. We are pretty attached to the notion of a southbound hike, but are feeling eager and may not want to wait until Baxter opens, so that may be the deciding factor and result in us doing a northbound hike. I am utterly bored and frustrated with my job - really ready to just leave it behind and hit the trail! I hit the three-year mark in January, bonuses are paid in February, and don't want to stick around much later than that.

Mountain Squid... In my initial post ( #121) I suggested a choice of trail names... what was I thinking? After hiking the past 15+ years as golfhiker, I am golfhiker, so golfhiker will be my official name in 2016!

Starting plans are still based on retiring on May 1, 2016, and heading out (NOBO) in late May or early June, whatever make the most sense.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Trail name:Midlifer
    Headed Nobo on the AT
    Starting March 15 or so

looking forward to my first thru hike, well any backpacking since about 1988!! Avid camper just haven't carried it all with me in a long time. See you in the trail!

Midlifer
    Mike Doolittle

Claymore
    NOBO
    March 25th....ish
    Open to the approach....probably.
    I'm attempting a thru hike. I'm in no hurry and not planning to follow any strict schedule. I want to stay on the trail as long as the desire exists and finish in Maine. I'm from Meridian, Idaho and have been totally consumed for a couple months now with AT research and reading about others experiences. I look forward to meeting all you thru hikers on the trail!

Iceman
    Northbound/flipflop: GA-CT, some other stuff, then i'll jump back and do ME-CT mid/late July
    January 25th- February 1st
    However I can get up there
    Totally stoked about it

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++