Default Florida Trail Rodman Dam to Lake Delancy

The girlfriend and I did a quick overnight trip from Rodman Dam to Lake Delancy as a bit of a practice hike to test gear and prepare for our bigger hike in GSMNP at the end of this month. Overall it was a great trip and a beautiful hike. I had read good things about this section but words didn't really go it justice. I've lived in Florida my entire life and the section of old growth pine forest we traveled through was among the best I've ever seen. The campground at Lake Delancy was nothing special but we arrived after dark and needed water so we camped close to the well there. Next time I go I think what I'll be doing is setting up camp in the woods a little ways off the trail and just running to Delancy East for water to bring back. There was only two other sites being used when we got there, a family and a guy car camping on the other end; Delancy West was pretty full of rednecks and white trash, however. Only saw two other people on the trail which I'm not surprised. This time of the year in Florida isn't exactly the best for hiking. This is the first of the Florida Trail I've ever hiked and it has definitely piqued my interest. I'm hoping to hike many more sections later this year after it cools off a bit.

sounds like you had a nice hike. I did a SoBo Ocala NF thru hike in Feb-2013, and recall that Rodman Dam to Lake Delancy section being very nice, just as you described. February was a nice month to hike down there, I'm guessing by now it's getting a bit hotter. There were a lot of local weekend ATV campers at Lake Delancy on that trip, the FT crossed many ATV trails... I got lucky and a family camped there in a large R/V offered me all the fresh water I wanted for a fill up. Water was a bit scarce going thru Ocala NF in many areas. Back then the Rainbow Gathering was taking place at Hopkins Prairie, that was a trip hiking thru the middle of that party. The FT thru Ocala NF is real nice further south near Rainbow and Alexander springs too. Have fun!

I've heard about the Rainbow Gathering and the people it attracts... I'm sure it was something else to say the least. We did have a great hike though and are really looking forward to going back and doing some more. The only part that wasn't pleasant was the heat and humidity. I don't mind it during the day but at night I prefer it not to be 85 degrees and 95% humidity. The lack of water along the trail was also a little bit of a bummer. Were used to doing either day hikes or hiking up in the GSMNP where there is water everywhere. I'm planning to go back and thru hike the ONF section of the FT after it cools off around Oct/Nov. Looking forward to seeing Rainbow and Alexander Springs.

Images

We did a sobo Ocala NF hike several years ago, and I remember that section being pretty cool. Glad you had fun, and I hope you enjoy your Smokies hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks bigcranky! I'm sure we will. We loved it last year. I'd like to get out and explore some other parts of the country in the future but GSMNP is so close and fun it's hard to justify traveling somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shame they allow that ATV junk in that area. Beautiful stretch of forest.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    It's a shame they allow that ATV junk in that area. Beautiful stretch of forest.
    The trailhead, campgrounds and fire roads were full of Florida's finest to say the least.

Images

Rainbows take over the ONF last of February early March. I unfortunately hiked through one of their gatherings a few years ago. I have to say it was quite interesting seeing how they setup and the things they do. But it was a bit crazy it was like we walked up on about 1,000 homeless people. Everyone we passed told us Welcome Home.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Quote Originally Posted by The Splitter View Post
    The trailhead, campgrounds and fire roads were full of Florida's finest to say the least.

I'm sure it was the same folks you see at Wally World!!!! WT

++ New Posts ++