WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default E E enigma 20 quilt.

Ive been looking at the Enigma 20 quilt. Just worried about it being warm enough. I have quilts for my hammock and they do great. How do these ground quilts do for side sleepers, how about being drafty around the neck? Can these be cinched around your neck to keep in the heat?

Thanks,
    Max

I don't have an EE quilt. However I do have a Golite that I've had for several years and it's always served me well. I keep looking at the EE gear - it looks very nice and I will likely wind up with one sooner or later.

Provided that the quilt is large enough to lay over you and drape down to the ground on both sides it serves great. It's like sleeping under a comfy blanket with a footbox.

I turn about every 15 minutes all night long. It's just the way I usually sleep. When I turn I sometimes have to redrape the quilt with a twitch if I create an air gap that lets in uncomfortably cold air. My Golite is rated for 20 and I've had it out to around 12-13 with a bag liner and been fine. It does have a set of snaps to close the next but I never use them because I unsnap them with my turning. It also has loops and straps to secure it around a pad but I leave those at home, again because of my regular shifting and moving around.

I imagine that if you do fine with a quilt in a hammock you'll do fine on the ground with one as well.

The EE pad straps are very good! They work perfect for an active side sleeper in keeping the quilt wrapped around you to reduce drafts. Generally I use a quilt at freezing and above and a bag at lower temps simply because a bag is totally draft proof (usually) but at a weight and comfort penalty. For me below freezing I need a quilt about 10 degrees below the expected temp to keep cozy.

I have the 50 degree EE Enigma and absolutely love it. I am a side sleeper and had no problem even with the short/slim version. I'm a small guy so it fit me well. The top cinches around your neck but I was even able to pull it over my head when the temps dropped below freezing and use it like a mummy quilt. It kept me warm through the night. I highly recommend it! The pad straps are very cool but I opted to just tuck the quilt under me to keep it down and that worked great.

Im not sure about hammocks. But In a tent I wish I had of gone with the xwide. I have fairly wide shoulders and I am 6'2. Ended up going with the wide version. I will say that I was very very warm in a 20* when I went and the temps were in the low 30s high 20s. Havent tested it much below that.

I have an EE Revelation 20* (similar to the Enigma, but non-sewn footbox) that I have used primarily for ground camping on a NeoAir Xlite. I am a 5'8" ~150lbs. side sleeper.

I have had it down to the mid-20's and was very toasty. There is a cinch cord around the neck opening that you can use to snug it up - I found myself loosening that in the middle of the night because I was getting a little too warm. Admittedly I also had on a down balaclava/hoody. My Revelation is sized as regular/regular and I find that I have plenty of room to toss and turn in the middle of the night.

I find the 20* Revelation is a nice quilt if you are only going to have one quilt. Being able to open the footbox and leave the rest loose allows for comfortable sleeping up to 50* or so. This summer I will probably break down and buy a 50* Revelation for warmer summer nights.
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

Images

Ditto to above...I have a 20 degree Revelation, and have been down around 30 in it, and as long as I wore some clothes, I was fine. Then in the summer, I use it like a blanket, and just sleep with underwear on and am comfortable in the 45-55 degree range. I would advise to buy a wide or x-wide one. It is nice to have some extra fabric to wrap around yourself at night (I am a side sleeper as well).

Just got an EE enigma elite. It cinches around the neck very well. I ordered a wide version because I side sleep and I am glad I did. Beautifully made quilts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++