WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a new backpack, can you point me in the right way?

Hello all,

I am 5 "10 150lbs and I'm looking for a new backpack for around 3-4 day adventures. I've looked at a few but don't know what to choose. The pack I've been looking at is the
    • Osprey Atmos 65 AG EX Pack for $250.00. My price budget cannot exceed $300. Can anyone tell me if this is a good pack or can you point me to the right place?

Thanks,
    Ellis

Osprey makes quality packs. I would encourage you to look into a ULA Circuit (you can search many threads here for the reputation on that one, but great packs and service), however keep in mind that packs like shoes, are a very personal gear issue. There are plenty of well made packs out there, but what is or is not comfortable for an individual can is hard to predict on the internet. Depending on your priorities vis a vie price, weight, durability etc. you may want to consider the REI Flash series as well (check the outlet for a deal on an older model). Good luck and happy trails.

There are lots of packs out there in wildly different designs. What season are you packing for? How much space do you need for all your kit? Do you occasionally carry a lot more (need a pack with lots of expansion and places to attach things on the outside) or can you get away with a very simple pack that is more tailor made for your gear?

I usually strap different things to the outside of my pack. I am backpacking in all seasons shine or rain. I've also figured out that 65 liters is a good size for all of my stuff.

Thanks

I just about did the same as your thinking. Atmos ag then looked at ULA and bought a catalyst for the same money. Lighter and made in usa. I just got it today and loaded it light and threw it on and its really nice. Had an issue with the hip belt sizing and call them up, Chris the owner answered and said Monday he would ship what I needed out. Great company, good products and made in usa.

My gut reaction is that 65 seems like a lot if you're also putting stuff outside, but everyone packs differently...

Osprey really does make great packs. The Atmos 65 or the lighter weight Exos 58 would both be worth checking out. ULA is another good option as mentioned above, and there are other great manufacturers as well. Whatever you go with, find one in a store and try it out with a similar load to what you carry. Ensure that it will fit you well before putting your money down.

Thanks for the helpful tips everyone. I will look into ULA.

If you have questions about ula call or email them. They will answer any questions you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bluebird

i bought a second hand ULA Circuit through the Gear For Sale posts on this forum. I really like that pack!

Also check out granite gear blaze and the boreas packs, they can carry a bit more weight in case all of your gear isn't up to date. Fairly attractive price points as well

I encourage you to go to an outfitter and get fitted for a pack.

While many can just buy off the shelf and get something that works, being fitted and trying on several packs to feel how they ride on your anatomy with a little weight in them is very educational and can save you from making the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    I encourage you to go to an outfitter and get fitted for a pack.

While many can just buy off the shelf and get something that works, being fitted and trying on several packs to feel how they ride on your anatomy with a little weight in them is very educational and can save you from making the wrong choice.
    Take all of your gear with you to make sure everything will fit in the pack. ULA has a dealer in Maryville, TN and Mountain Crossings in Georgia is a dealer. There may be others.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++