WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

i just found out i could afford a thew hike when i woke up this morning.trying to make time and space so i could work around the house. sold a few things. last night had a beverage with a friend conversation goes, wow you sold a lot of stuff what do you want for your truck,$6500,$6000 ok sold. i wasn't even selling my truck. probably not going to thru hike. but i think i'm going to start planing a section (harpers ferry-springer ga) any advice greatly appreciated probably leave in about 10 days -2 weeks from now. should i go nobo from springer or sobo from hf.

Quote Originally Posted by ny breakfast View Post
    . should i go nobo from springer or sobo from hf.
    Either way isn't great. Both ways will have you hiking in some really hot and muggy weather before long. It might be better to be hiking in NC in July then Virginia in July since the trail is at higher elevation in NC which might make it a tad cooler.

The other (and better) option is to go NOBO from HF and follow the flip-floppers. However, that's a somewhat more expensive direction to go in.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I've section hiked hf to the green mountains VT+ HMW I'll start a new thread on this later today. so hot and muggy is the basses of the south got it please keep the topic to OP

What's worse, having the time but worrying about enough money to do a thru hike? Or having the money and not having the time or flexibility to get away : -(

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    What's worse, having the time but worrying about enough money to do a thru hike? Or having the money and not having the time or flexibility to get away : -(
    That is a key question--well said.

Another difficult variable is physical ability. It's probably like the old fire triangle--if one leg is missing, the hike collapses.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

If I add up all of it, backpacking and alpine climbing it is north of $10,000. Easily 40% are mistakes, buying gear that I replaced with different (lighter) I do not and will never use. My AT 3 season kit was $3,500. Western Mountaineering bags, Mont Bell, Granite Gear, Montrail, Asolo, the cost goes up pretty quickly. All of my gear was purchased when I was making really good money. Now that I am retired, I could never get the quality again. I now do weekend - week long trips and should never really have to purchase another thing for a very long time.

As for AT expenses, I spent a total of $10,000 (including $1,000 on replacement gear in Gatlinburg) to walk half. I was still recovering from a life threatening illnes and my body just broke down at mile 700, but I continued often spending 2-4 days in towns recovering. Was it worth it???? For me, yes. Would I do it again, yes. I have packed, trekked and climbed over 1,400 miles on three continents. Today I live on a fixed income broke each and every month on day 30, and would do it all again. I value those experiences infinitely more than I valued my now empty 401-K.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    That is a key question--well said.

Another difficult variable is physical ability. It's probably like the old fire triangle--if one leg is missing, the hike collapses.
    Right on, Garlic. I work so I can fund my hobbies (and to provide for the family). I workout like a lunatic; lifting, running, mt biking, after work to make sure I'm fit for the weekends and for when I retire - I'll be in shape to do long hikes and other cool stuff. It's the only formula I've come up with that works for me.

I envy those guys that chuck everything for their hobby/passion.

If you need to save more money, I heard the REI Anniversary Sale is May 15 - 25. Some items marked down as much as 40%. Members will receive two coupons, one for 20% off a full-price item, the other for an REI-Outlet item (those whose price end in .73). If you have more than one big ticket item, you can purchase a second membership (or more) in the name of a spouse/partner, child, etc. in order to receive multiple coupons. The next nationwide Garage Sale is June 13th.

GAME 06

I could not help but jump into this. I think many are missing the point a bit as they are so focused on gear issues and the OP seems to have clearly stated that the gear is mostly taken care of and that it is the actual trip expenses which are an issue (other than the mention of shoe inserts - more on that below).

Doing a thru of the AT is going to cost a fair amount, but that amount can be constrained by some basic discipline. I doubt that you would want to try and plan on trip costs being less than $3500-4000. But it can surely be done for less than that if you are willing to take a more austere approach. As someone else stated, to keep costs down you do almost no zeros and do not stay in the motels at all. Stay out of towns as much as possible and for certain stay away from the party scene as it is a huge expense (not a big issue for someone your age I expect). Booze is expensive and towns are expensive and zeros are expensive. No real need for mail drops (which cost you more and promote staying in towns) as there is plenty of resupply options which are supermarket pricing. Just basic common sense. Just hike and it keeps costs down and adjust your mileage to your body and don't abuse it and then you are not always in need of zeros which end up costing lots of money. Big mileage days end up costing you more money.

And that leads me back to your only real gear question and something that needs to be said about footwear that does not get enough press.

The 'fad'? of wearing the lightest shoes possible (NB's, cheap tennis shoes, crappy quality shoes of various makes) and then supplementing them with Superfeet and thinking this is a good idea is very often a bad mistake. This is especially true for folks our age (I am 61 and did the AT at 51). There are certainly people who can do the entire trail while doing high mileage days and get away with wearing running shoes and the like. But not most people and, in general, this is not at all a good idea for someone older whose body is more fragile. In my experience most of the young folks should not be wearing running shoes either. I have seem a host of young people in light shoes destroy their feet and end up having to quit their hikes. Just in the last few days reading hiking journals of folks on the AT, PCT and CDT I have come across this very issue several times.

The only piece of top quality gear I believe is essential for a thru hike is your shoes. I highly recommend finding a pair of very hard soled sturdy hiking shoes (low top) which fit you really well. Vasque level of quality or equivalent - probably $130-150). There are many reasons for this. 1 is that they are designed for what you are doing and most times there is zero need for any replacement inserts (this saves that money); 2 they will wear much longer and probably will last the entire trail (it is not common for NB's and the like to last that long - I only get about 500 miles in a running shoe before it is worthless as the inner sole has lost its cushioning by then); 3 there is much less bruising of the feet from rocks due to the hard soles and this can turn out to be critical for being able to make the 2000+ miles; 4 in most cases the dedicated hiking shoes have much better tread and this translates over 2000 miles to a measurable number less falls due to your feet slipping and cuts down on injury potential (a big issue for us older folks). Total cost is at worst equivalent and I believe in most cases starting with the more expensive shoe ends up costing less - and then add in the other benefits and it seems an obvious choice.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    The 'fad'? of wearing the lightest shoes possible (NB's, cheap tennis shoes, crappy quality shoes of various makes) and then supplementing them with Superfeet and thinking this is a good idea is very often a bad mistake. This is especially true for folks our age (I am 61 and did the AT at 51). There are certainly people who can do the entire trail while doing high mileage days and get away with wearing running shoes and the like. But not most people and, in general, this is not at all a good idea for someone older whose body is more fragile. In my experience most of the young folks should not be wearing running shoes either. I have seem a host of young people in light shoes destroy their feet and end up having to quit their hikes.
    It's really a question of what works best with your feet. I have a pair of Vasque shoes in my closet gathering dust, while I hike in my NB trail runners. I'm not a thru hiker, just a weekender and short-sectioner, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The longest trip I've ever done at one go was about 130 miles. On the other hand, I hike in really nasty conditions, including bushwhack travel in the Northeast. And I'm 59, so I'm familiar, like you, with the body simply not being able to take the punishment it once could.

I find, as you say, that I get about 500 miles on a pair of trail runners, which (weekender that I am) means I wind up replacing them at least once a season. I find a pair of Superfeet insoles will last through about two pair of trail runners. My feet feel better at the end of the day when I've hiked in the lightweight shoes, and I hike in very nasty conditions. The trail runners I use have fairly sticky rubber, which contributes to their short life, so they're pretty good at gripping the rock. I'm less afraid of slipping and falling when I edge or smear with them than with the Vasque shoes.

(Those who hike the A-T in three seasons can quit reading here)

Of course, I have more than one set of shoes for hiking. In addition to the NB which are my go-to most of the time, and the aforementioned Vasque white elephant, I have a pair of approach shoes. These are kind of opposite to hiking shoes. Rather than having heavy lugs, they have a nearly smooth sole in sticky crepe rubber. Nothing like them for clinging to slick granite. I also have Big Clunky Leather Boots (Timberland, I think) and a pair of Sorel pac boots. The leather boots get used when the traction gear comes out - trailrunners just aren't stiff enough to work with crampons or snowshoes, and are dodgy even with Microspikes. The pac boots come out for serious winter travel.

You don't need any of the above (approach shoes, leather boots, pac boots) for three seasons on the A-T. But most of my hiking isn't on the A-T in good weather.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

As a budget section hiker, the most expensive part of Hiking the AT for me is getting to the trail head. I come the the US every summer and stay with my wife's family. So I have no car.

I can spent over 250$ for a trip getting to and from trailheads WITHIN in my own state (VA). The cost is usually greyhound, hotel (because greyhound has crazy route times) and shuttles. I have spent 5x on more transport than on gear over the last 8 years I have been hiking the AT in VA.

I was hoping to hike the GSMNP this summer, but trying to there and back is crazy difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by nuknees View Post
    My point confirmed...thank you.
    I do have my base gear - acquiring it over several years and it's tried and true.
    The thread was started in the context of a single 57 yr old making very modest pay.
    Over the years I've noticed my feet taking a pounding. Common sense says look to footwear issues first. So I thought maybe the time has come to start looking at upgrading inserts from the stock ones foot gear comes with. So I found a thread about inserts here and I looked up some of the brands/models folks were writing about. Holy Smokies! $50.00 a pop (Superfeet)...and you will more than likely purchase a few pair before finding the ones that work best for you right? Yes. So lets say it takes you 3 pair before finding the ones for you...3rd times a charm right. That's $150 investment JUST IN A SHOE INSERT! Holy Smokies!
    First of all, some people do better to just take out all the inserts and hike without them. That's free. Start with free and cheap before you move up to the expensive stuff with your gear testing. Do lots of weekend backpack trips to test gear. Even wear your hiking footwear on your job.

Secondly, in regards to all this testing, you can actually test things during your long distance hike. You're not going to the moon. They have stores and Internet.

Finally, you don't have to hike the entire trail to get all the benefits of a long distance hike. Hike as far as you possibly can until your money or your feet run out.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by nuknees View Post
    My point confirmed...thank you.
    I do have my base gear - acquiring it over several years and it's tried and true.
    The thread was started in the context of a single 57 yr old making very modest pay.
    Over the years I've noticed my feet taking a pounding. Common sense says look to footwear issues first. So I thought maybe the time has come to start looking at upgrading inserts from the stock ones foot gear comes with. So I found a thread about inserts here and I looked up some of the brands/models folks were writing about. Holy Smokies! $50.00 a pop (Superfeet)...and you will more than likely purchase a few pair before finding the ones that work best for you right? Yes. So lets say it takes you 3 pair before finding the ones for you...3rd times a charm right. That's $150 investment JUST IN A SHOE INSERT! Holy Smokies!
    First of all, some people do better to just take out all the inserts and hike without them. That's free. Start with free and cheap before you move up to the expensive stuff with your gear testing. Do lots of weekend backpack trips to test gear. Even wear your hiking footwear on your job.

Secondly, in regards to all this testing, you can actually test things during your long distance hike. You're not going to the moon. They have stores and Internet.

Finally, you don't have to hike the entire trail to get all the benefits of a long distance hike. Hike as far as you possibly can until your money or your feet run out.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    As a budget section hiker, the most expensive part of Hiking the AT for me is getting to the trail head. I come the the US every summer and stay with my wife's family. So I have no car.

I can spent over 250$ for a trip getting to and from trailheads WITHIN in my own state (VA). The cost is usually greyhound, hotel (because greyhound has crazy route times) and shuttles. I have spent 5x on more transport than on gear over the last 8 years I have been hiking the AT in VA.

I was hoping to hike the GSMNP this summer, but trying to there and back is crazy difficult.
    Even living in the states, if someone doesn't live close to the AT, transportation is probably their biggest expense, followed by meals/lodging.

Even using one's own car isn't exactly cheap given operating costs of fuel, maintenance, and acquisition costs. The minimum operating costs (not including the "sunk costs" of insurance and registrations) is likely in the .20 - .30 per mile range for a small $15 - $20K economy car, and obviously can double, triple, etc., based upon one's vehicle value, fuel economy, and maintenance costs.

Eating a couple of meals at restaurants on the way, staying at a motel, etc., can really add up.

Example: Last fall I did a 3 day/2 night weekend hike on the Ouachita National Scenic Trail in southern Oklahoma. It's one of the closest nice trails to where I live in Fort Worth, TX. At almost 500 miles round trip from Fort Worth, it was cheaper fuel wise to rent a weekend economy car for $45 from Enterprise that got 30mpg, than drive my old SUV that gets 15mpg. My costs for the trip were $45 (car), $60 fuel, $20 in trail food/supplies, another $10 in fast food while driving there and back. So just under $150 for a weekend hike. The transportation/car costs worked out to .21/mile (pretty good). There's just no way for me to hike any cheaper unless I lived close(r) to accessible trails, which tends to have it's own unique advantages and disadvantages - the biggest disadvantage being that stable employment and good pay in many rural areas near the trail is difficult to come by. What you gain in access, you often lose in other ways.

My take on all of it - it's 2015, and life ain't cheap anyway you look at it. But hiking is still cheaper than almost any other recreation vacation activity.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

We just finished gearing up for two adults and a nine year old, using multiple 20% REI discounts, buying all new stuff and we're under $2000. Doing the same thing for skiing (with two of us renting) cost double that.

I'm sure we can get things cheaper, but with REI's "no questions asked, return in a year" policy, we're gonna see how it goes, then possibly retool with no risk.

Also, comparing food & gas costs, we spend at least $250 a week on groceries, gas, and electricity as it is. Sounds like we'd be saving money on the trail.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I find, as you say, that I get about 500 miles on a pair of trail runners, which (weekender that I am) means I wind up replacing them at least once a season. I find a pair of Superfeet insoles will last through about two pair of trail runners. My feet feel better at the end of the day when I've hiked in the lightweight shoes, and I hike in very nasty conditions. The trail runners I use have fairly sticky rubber, which contributes to their short life, so they're pretty good at gripping the rock. I'm less afraid of slipping and falling when I edge or smear with them than with the Vasque shoes.
    Yup it is hard for us old guys lol.

Keep in mind that (outside of Vasque for you) there are a number of really nice hiking shoes with hard soles and there should be one which fits you well. If your feet start to consistently get sore or your mileage goes way up they are a good option to try out. Fit is very important and never buy a shoe which does not fit perfectly. I frequently have the salesperson bring me 3 pairs of the shoe I am going to buy in the same size and try all of the shoes on and then buy the best fitting set (mix and match so to speak). None of them will fit exactly the same. This seems to work well for me.

Another item which I have not seen on the forum is the effect of wearing the compression sleeves which go from your ankle to just below your knee. These things are the rage in all of pro and high end amateur sports like football, basketball and such (REI and all the sports stores carry them). They compress your lower leg and as your muscles flex their ribbing and weave help pump the blood back up your leg. I use these and they are AMAZING in how much fresher your legs are at the end of the day (don't sleep in them). If you are at all prone to leg/foot cramps they almost eliminate this issue as well. I swim about 10,000 yards a week besides hiking and before I started swimming with them everyday I would swim until I cramped out - now I never cramp out I just wear out. Old age is not for kids.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++