WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Places

Default Dirty Places

What are the dirtiest, filthiest hostels, campgrounds, etc. that should be avoided along the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    What are the dirtiest, filthiest hostels, campgrounds, etc. that should be avoided along the trail?
    Two different questions I think. Dirtiest places (besides you know the outdoors and all) I recall are The Doyle and Kincora, and they are not to be missed. The only places I would really try to avoid are The Place, and Elmer's(that is certainly a minority opinion YMMV). The cleanest hostels are Bearded Woods, and Green Mountain House, they are also excellent.

The Doyle definitely meets the definition of dirty and nasty, yet it has a great bar and it has become a rite of passage for thru hikers. I expect someone's age will establish how they like or dislike it. Then again not a lot of options in town.

Hikers Paradise in Gorham tends to a have a mixed reputation, many thruhikers flock to it but others walk in and then walk across the street and book a room down the road.

Bake Oven Knob Shelter is one to avoid, it gets lots of local traffic and is site of many parties

Journal Entries
    Images

The Relax Inn at Atkins was sort of bad...
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Images

The hotel in Buena Vista was pretty gross, but no grosser than I was when I got there. Also Kincora, especially if you are allergic to cats. You're probably not going to be staying in many campgrounds on the AT since you can camp for free elsewhere.

The shelters.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

There was a shelter just north of the roller coaster that we spent a long afternoon and night in that smelt badly of urine. Despite laying out or tyvek sheet the smell managed to permeate everything before we left. We arrived in a heavy downpour and I wished later that we'd just trudged on. I even wound up washing my pack in a hotel bathtub on 2 different occasions after that trying to get the smell out.

Doyle was great; we liked Elmers as well despite my non-vegetarian leanings.

Embracing the grittiness in your travels will build character.

Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    The Relax Inn at Atkins was sort of bad...
    It was nasty 20 years ago.

Makes me wonder if the nasty is that old or if it was remodeled then made nasty again.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post

Makes me wonder if the nasty is that old or if it was remodeled then made nasty again.
    I'm pretty sure it's antique nasty.

I wasn't real crazy about Neal Gap who's only interest in hikers involved selling them new gear, if you weren't in that category you didn't count. It was more of a filthy roadside rest for the wheeled weekend crowd.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Journal Entries
    Images

IMO,Small hotels that allow live ins should be avoided, they tend to be the dirtiest as was the one in Marion, Va. I had to argue with the guy for 15 minutes to have him put the charge back on the card. So glad I switched to the Econoldge + they gave me a great hiker rate & it was across from the Food lion!

As far as hostels, Kincora was fine, sure there are a lot of cats & raccoons under the sink but not a place to avoid maybe a place to embrace. Elmers wasn't too bad either for an old 125 year old Victorian home, great yard with hammocks to lounge in during the day. I have only hiked from Springer to Harpers Ferry but I haven't found a hostel I wouldn't return to.
    Three Springs Hostel in Buena Vista was the cleanest.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Any shelter in GSMNP.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post

In 1975 it was a pretty nice place. With an adjoining restaurant.
    But.....
    In 1975 the abandoned motel in Rockfish Gap was pretty nice too.

I love reading reviews on nasty places from people who haven't showered , done laundry, or slept in a bed for weeks. :-)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Two different questions I think. Dirtiest places (besides you know the outdoors and all) I recall are The Doyle and Kincora, and they are not to be missed. The only places I would really try to avoid are The Place, and Elmer's(that is certainly a minority opinion YMMV). The cleanest hostels are Bearded Woods, and Green Mountain House, they are also excellent.
    Elmers?
    come on, Elmer's had a music room with all kinds of instruments , a big room full of antique furniture, comfy bed and a great meal...
    What's so bad about that?
    and as scrabbler pointed out, we mostly stink to high heaven when we get there!
    the Doyle was pretty rough, like me after a week in the woods! But I ran into Baltimore Jack and Box of Tricks there at the bar who turned me on to some crooks and the breakfast across the road was great.....
    ha! Spellcheck at its worst! That was meant to read Croks!
    Hike on my friends!
    If you're tired enough, you'll sleep anywhere......

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Elmers?
    come on, Elmer's had a music room with all kinds of instruments , a big room full of antique furniture, comfy bed and a great meal...
    What's so bad about that?

I also don't understand why Elmer's was mentioned in this. It is not really my style, I liked Laughing Heart hostel better (except for the extra distance to the town), but I certainly appreciated it when I was there.

Images

I've learned to avoid any campsite near roads. Places that drunks can walk to from their cars to party for the night. Ensign Cowell Shelter in Maryland was where I learned it best.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Any shelter in GSMNP.
    I have stayed in several at GSMNP and found them to be clean and well taken care of, there must be a group that does this. But I have not been to any outside of there to compare...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++