WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Places

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    burned down? *** are you talking about? also to clarify I meant not to be misssed as in a must stop I have stayed there twice, and I adore Pat & Vicki
    Rendezvous motel.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tim.hiker View Post
    I have stayed in several at GSMNP and found them to be clean and well taken care of, there must be a group that does this. But I have not been to any outside of there to compare...
    Volunteers. Smoky Mountain Hiking Club

I was definitely referring to the Rendezvous Motel -- I love the Doyle, and would stay there again.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/pear...stink/26625872

(I stayed there in early January, it burned later that month.)
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad;1964693
    I'm pretty sure the worst hotel on the trail is at Rockfish Gap south of SNP, the reviews on that hotel are downright scary... [URL
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g58295-d252505-Reviews-The_Inn_at_Afton-Waynesboro_Virginia.html#photos[/URL]

The 'Inn' at Afton! That place is still alive? Someone should put it out of it's misery. I stayed there in 2006 with my daughter when we attended a Jeep Jamboree about 20 miles away. It was the closest hotel. I wish I'd stayed in Charlottesville.. What a horrible place..I made a reservation to stay there sight unseen and couldn't believe it when I got there. I'd driven by that place in the '90s when it was an old Howard Johnson and thought it burned down. It should've been condemned. I stayed there 3 horrible days at $75/night and it was literally crumbling and falling apart. Moldy carpets, peeling paint/wallpaper, dirty, smelly..my daughter wouldn't even swim in the pool. Our shower sprung a leak and was gushing water out of the faucet and I had to actually go out to my Jeep and get my own tools to fix it because the staff or owner couldn't be bothered and said they had no tools and to "just let it run". And what was I supposed to do when the bathtub overflowed?

I was told by the staff that the owner was letting it run to the ground because he wanted to sell it and not put any money into it. Looking at the reviews I'm amazed it's still there. I've traveled all over and never have I stayed in a hotel that bad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    They're not our supporters, they're business owners. Hikers are their supporters as long as there is payment involved - no matter what the cost. Businesses earn whatever their reputation is, good or bad.

Ryan
    Bull. Very few of the hostels are making any money, at MOST they offset some of the cost. This is why there are so many problems with the attitude of hikers of late, they think if they pay $20 for a room, a kitchen, a laundry, a shuttle or two to town, and a shuttle back to the trail, that they are somehow a paying customer who can be demanding and cop an attitude if the owner doesn't allow them to openly drink their booze and smoke their weed.

Most of the motels give hiker discounts and offer additional services such as laundry or free shuttles, they are indeed supporting the hikers. Just knowingly allowing these filthy dirty, smelly patrons into their rooms, and cleaning up after them, constitutes supporting the hikers, especially when they allow 4 or 5 of these unrelated patrons to occupy the same room and supply extra towels to them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    I was quite pleased with our treatment when we came through in 2013. I pre-purchased some fuel from you guys over a month in advance and it was sitting there waiting for me with my name on it; no small feat in a place that can get so busy so quickly. And none of the prices were outrageous. Quite in line as I recall. We didn't need any gear; just restocked on food and picked up our fuel and we were treated just as well as people who were looking for major gear.

I've noticed that some people are offended by MSRP. It seems to be the way of the world.
    I have good feeling from my stay at Mountain Crossings, truly a special place. There was no pressure to upgrade and prices seems OK for a outfitter. My gear was pretty good at this point and I didn't do the shakedown as I didn't need to and I knew that from experience. But many starting thru's don't have that experience and really need that help.

As Splash was leaving me to driving back home I and 2 other thru hikers had the opportunity to slack the 10 miles as she dropped our packs off at Mountain Crossing. It is a very nice service to offer that they ask nothing for (the other 2 hiked on, not buying anything).

It was also my first hostel night on the trail and a church group made us all grilled burgers.
    Last edited by Starchild; 04-21-2015 at 07:44.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freak on a Leash View Post
    The 'Inn' at Afton! That place is still alive? Someone should put it out of it's misery. I stayed there in 2006 with my daughter when we attended a Jeep Jamboree about 20 miles away. It was the closest hotel. I wish I'd stayed in Charlottesville.. What a horrible place..I made a reservation to stay there sight unseen and couldn't believe it when I got there. I'd driven by that place in the '90s when it was an old Howard Johnson and thought it burned down. It should've been condemned. I stayed there 3 horrible days at $75/night and it was literally crumbling and falling apart. Moldy carpets, peeling paint/wallpaper, dirty, smelly..my daughter wouldn't even swim in the pool. Our shower sprung a leak and was gushing water out of the faucet and I had to actually go out to my Jeep and get my own tools to fix it because the staff or owner couldn't be bothered and said they had no tools and to "just let it run". And what was I supposed to do when the bathtub overflowed?

I was told by the staff that the owner was letting it run to the ground because he wanted to sell it and not put any money into it. Looking at the reviews I'm amazed it's still there. I've traveled all over and never have I stayed in a hotel that bad.

No the Afton is closed. You can still park in their parking lot.

The filthiest hostels In my opinion are, kincora, Dave's place, greasy creek friendly, Holly Hell hostel in Pearisburg VA, church of the Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    There was a shelter just north of the roller coaster that we spent a long afternoon and night in that smelt badly of urine. Despite laying out or tyvek sheet the smell managed to permeate everything before we left. We arrived in a heavy downpour and I wished later that we'd just trudged on. I even wound up washing my pack in a hotel bathtub on 2 different occasions after that trying to get the smell out.

Doyle was great; we liked Elmers as well despite my non-vegetarian leanings.
    I think your talking about the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter I stayed their in 06 and it smelled like Vomit to me.

What about Pine Grove Hostel? (Pine Grove S.P., PA) I heard it's gone "upscale" and is much better place then when A.Y.H. owned it. I stayed there years ago and A.Y.H. ran it into the ground. What a dump it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Bull. Very few of the hostels are making any money, at MOST they offset some of the cost. This is why there are so many problems with the attitude of hikers of late, they think if they pay $20 for a room, a kitchen, a laundry, a shuttle or two to town, and a shuttle back to the trail, that they are somehow a paying customer who can be demanding and cop an attitude if the owner doesn't allow them to openly drink their booze and smoke their weed.

Most of the motels give hiker discounts and offer additional services such as laundry or free shuttles, they are indeed supporting the hikers. Just knowingly allowing these filthy dirty, smelly patrons into their rooms, and cleaning up after them, constitutes supporting the hikers, especially when they allow 4 or 5 of these unrelated patrons to occupy the same room and supply extra towels to them.
    We can agree to disagree, but you're being naive if you think most hostels & motels are losing money. Getting rich - no. But, you think people are giving their money away? Come on, that's not sustainable. For many it's something to do to make a little money after retirement, etc. Obviously situations will vary. Motels give discounts because $20 is better than an empty room, and there's no demand in these little mountain towns. They want the business because they are business owners. Hikers don't owe them anything & they don't owe hikers - until money is involved.

Also, I don't recall people in this thread saying "Avoid Hostel X because they won't let me smoke weed". Seems like most of the criticism was due to places being unclean. There is nothing wrong with expecting a business establishment to be somewhat clean if they're taking your money.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by BAG "o" TRICKS View Post
    Agree with may of the places mentioned. btw I'm at The Doyle now with smelly weekend hiker friends and we're all having a great time and staying the night, $26 a rm. Pat, Vickey, John & I say hello to everyone.

bag o tricks......wow...we met back on my thru in 2010 near or at the Doyle. You provided me with a chew, which was hard to come by up there, and a beer.

One thing I loved about my thru hike...I learned I could function and enjoy places where I wouldn't/ couldn't before. Coming out of palmerton at the jail, It was well over 100 degrees so i journeyed up a side road that paralleled the lehigh (?) ridge because of the creek that was there. Got into Winding? Windy? Wind? Gap about 20 miles up the road to a little hotel there. It was $35 per night for the room. i wanted a shower and there was no shampoo...so I went to the little office. the people there didn't speak a great deal of English but i finally got through....the proprietress came back with a small bottle of the hotel shampoo....which was opened and half gone. i gladly used the remainder. A thru does change one's perspective.

P.S. to Bag O'...you refused payment for the beer and chew. So i walked back to your truck and left a $20 on the dash. Hope you got it. It was a real pleasure to meet you..and to have a burger and beer at the Doyle during the world cup. One of the highlights of "Rocksylvania" to me.

I think this post is funny, hikers calling out "dirty" places. What I take exception to is hikers complaining about the cleanliness of not-for-profit hostels and shelters. How many times have you seen a hiker help clean up any of these places? Many shelters have brooms, but I seldom see a hiker use them.
    More walking, less talking.

Trent
    's Grocery Campsite facilities at VA-606 - Great burgers at the shop but avoid the nearby campsite.
    Dolye Hotel - but great bar, great food, run by great people.
    Uncle Johnny's in Erwin - absolutely filthy. Wipe your feet on the way out.
    Basement under Palmerton Court House (now closed) - just stunk like Jeffrey Dahmer's refrigerator

A Big thank you to the majority of owners that look after hikers and ensure that basic standards are met.

Last edited by Alligator; 04-22-2015 at 23:22. Reason: TOS #2

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BAG "o" TRICKS View Post
    Agree with may of the places mentioned. btw I'm at The Doyle now with smelly weekend hiker friends and we're all having a great time and staying the night, $26 a rm. Pat, Vickey, John & I say hello to everyone.
    You have risen from the dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    In order of disgusting Damascus, whiteblsze, the section from springer to kahtadin
    What's up with Damascus?

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm rather ashamed to see this thread. Many of the folks mentioned on the thread are small-time operators who offer a service for greatly reduced cost to hikers. While yes, some are cleaner than others, I consider this entire tread to be about bashing the folks who offer these services. Nothing says you have to accept the hospitality or services. If you are not satisfied, I would suggest moving on and not recommending the facilities. I feel it is bad form to go online to bad mouth our supporters.
    Good point. Most of the time whoever wants to stay with me stays but every so often-and it will begin to happen with the bubble- there will be that particular hiker that comes along and if he-it's usually a he-will find something to use against you to come down on your price. Like guilt maybe-"I heard this and this about you, or there's a cobweb, or there's no hot water I hear" and the most infamous one is "I am a thru hiker and I want a discount!" Like we are expected to pay for their vacation..........

I think this year I am going to begin keeping a log of what people do and say to get reduced prices....

I been told by folks that stay that they would have to pay $60-$120 for the same thing I do here at a B&B............

Journal Entries
    Images

They're not our supporters, they're business owners. Hikers are their supporters as long as there is payment involved - no matter what the cost. Businesses earn whatever their reputation is, good or bad.

Ryan
    And another good point, true that..........

Journal Entries
    Images

And another good point and I agree..........

Journal Entries
    Images

We can agree to disagree, but you're being naive if you think most hostels & motels are losing money. Getting rich - no. But, you think people are giving their money away? Come on, that's not sustainable. For many it's something to do to make a little money after retirement, etc. Obviously situations will vary. Motels give discounts because $20 is better than an empty room, and there's no demand in these little mountain towns. They want the business because they are business owners. Hikers don't owe them anything & they don't owe hikers - until money is involved.

Also, I don't recall people in this thread saying "Avoid Hostel X because they won't let me smoke weed". Seems like most of the criticism was due to places being unclean. There is nothing wrong with expecting a business establishment to be somewhat clean if they're taking your money.

Ryan
    I agree with both sides of this argument!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++