WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Hiking South Bound

In 2016 I plan a Maine To Georgia thru hike with my fixed Male Black Lab. Looking for input from experienced thru hikers re the trail condition where he & I will need to deal with "ladders"and stream crossings,.NOT interested in dog haters rants. Thanks in advance.

What is your question?

Yes, you will have to deal with water crossings, especially starting out in Maine when you'll have snowmelt. Yes, there will be rock scrambles and ladders, especially in Maine, NH, MA and NY. Some dogs handle the rocks well, some just sit down and cry or howl.

Journal Entries

Question is how bad are areas at ladders? Is there alternatives to hoisting a 90lb critter? What have other thru hikers with dogs done?Dog can swim its more a concern with currents & rocks. Again what have dog owners done in the past?????

I will also be going South Bound in 2016 with a 75 lb dog. What do you think is your leave date?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC BUCK View Post
    Question is how bad are areas at ladders? Is there alternatives to hoisting a 90lb critter? What have other thru hikers with dogs done?Dog can swim its more a concern with currents & rocks. Again what have dog owners done in the past?????
    I would tie a rope on him if the rivers are that bad,also I would be getting him used to ladders and rocks now,to evaluate his performance and build his confidence.Is that a possibility?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TiltGravity View Post
    I will also be going South Bound in 2016 with a 75 lb dog. What do you think is your leave date?
    If you are looking for someone to keep your dog while you climb Katahdin, check with Connie (http://cpmgrooming.com/). She will even shuttle your dog out to meet you at Abol Bridge.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

I have not thru-hiked, but have done lots and lots of hiking in the NE (where you will be starting out) and have two black lab mixes who go hiking with me.

I can tell you first-hand that stream currents & depths can absolutely vary in the NE (where you will have the biggest issues) from day to day. They obviously depend on snowmelt and rainfall - When is your intended date of departure? If you are departing later in the summer, stream currents tend to be more forgiving unless there is a heavy rainfall. Some streams only appear if weather deteriorates. I have crossed streams that were mild and up to my shin one day, only to have them be raging and up to my waist the next day. The answers you receive will be more focused with a ballpark departure date.

Dogs often find ways around the ladder (if given the opportunity). Make sure your dog will stick around and wait for you if you let him/her off leash in these instances. Not saying that as an anti-dog comment. It would just really stink to have your pooch take off when you can't immediately go after him/her because you are stuck on a ladder. Losing your buddy on your hike is not a good way to start.

You will want to make sure your pup's feet are toughened up enough for the rocks. The rocks up here can be brutal on a paw pad. Easy enough to take care of during your pre-hike training.

If you need a food drop (for you and your pet - dog food is heavy) during the 100 Mile Wilderness, Lakeshore House no longer provides that service, but the AT Lodge, Shaw's and 100 Mile Wilderness Adventures and Outfitters all still (as of the end of this past season) do provide that service.

Absolutely look into leaving your pooch with Connie while you tackle Baxter State Park - Your pooch will be in great hands.

Prep your dog for boardwalks during your training. This was something that one of my dogs was not keen on. The other pooch took to boardwalks just fine. The boardwalks are there to protect the environment and for safety reasons (some of those bogs are deep). Additionally, that muck absolutely stinks in a dog's fur.

I hope you and your pooch have a wonderful walk! There is a lot more to consider when hiking with a dog, but there's nothing like a fun (and safe!) trip with your best friend.

We just hiked NOBO this year with a dog from Georgia to Maine. While we only had a 10lb dog with us, we might be able to add some insight.

You will encounter some issues, and several within the first 400 miles. Mahoosuc Notch will be your first challenge, and getting down to the Notch. You'll have to get your dog up, over, down, and around that 1 mile stretch. Plan on taking about an hour or two to do it. The Whites are going to be brutal on your dogs since they won't have the miles under their paws to really toughen them up at that point. If you can get them in boots I'd do so now. Most of Maine once you're out of the flat 30 mile section is where it starts to get rough. The rocks are very sharp, but the constant walking on rocks will wear their nails down. The Whites will be hard on them as well. From heading down the Wildcats to Moosilauke will be challenging. The Mt Madison and Mt Washington area are VERY rocky, and soft pads will bleed. Our dog had slight blood in the section, and that's after hiking from Georgia. Coming down from Kinsman Ridge is pretty much climbing down, and you will have to help in that area. Besides that yo'll have a couple ladder sections that aren't horrible. You will need to get them down or around those sections. The ladders typically aren't more than 10 feet or so high.

You should without a doubt get a harness for them. I recommend a small company called Groundbird Gear for this, and all harness are custom made. They can even make saddle bags if you so choose. You're going to need to figure out your food situation as well. A good mix would be dog food, your food, and some supplements. We fed ours hard food, TurboPup bars, and some of our food for breakfast/dinner. You should also put olive oil on it, that'll help them keep weight on.

If you guys have specific questions let me know. I've got a ton of advice and information I can pass your way.
    AT15
    OT15

just a few suggestions now from the guy who follows Sasha the Huskey arround. Get your dog used to boots now on your walks, that will take some time and use a product called Mushers secrete it is a paw wax that will help toughen up the paw pads. Always have a way to hoist the dog and make sure that you have practiced with the dog before you need to do it. I would recommend a way to belay and hoist the dog because it can get tiring hauling up a 50 pound dog up 40 feet. Please make sure that you rope your dog on all river crossings to keep him/her safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots and Backpacks View Post
    .....You should also put olive oil on it, that'll help them keep weight on..........
    Start trying this out at home and see how well and how much oil your dog tolerates, it varies from dog to dog. Fats are hardest to digest for dogs and can cause serious diarrhea in excess. Not fun for man or beast.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Thanks all for a very constructive dog thread. Some great and substantive information here. I plan on flip/flopping with my border collie this season 2016 and have real concerns about negotiating the rocky terrain in regards to wear and tear on pads. I've had the wonderful opportunity to spend many seasons working in large wilderness areas in MT/WY with my border collies and they become very adept at crossing rivers, e.g. Yellowstone, Thorofare, Buffalo Forks, and etc. I strongly suggest you consider carefully how you are going to "rope" your dog across water bodies. I'm sure you have thought this through, but a roped dog or person can also be pulled under by the current. Consider holding the harness handle with the dog on the downstream side and you use hiking poles for stability. Or team up with another person to aid in challenging situations. Just saying, think through your set up carefully because you would never forget an unfortunate incident. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. I once had to jump in the river to help one of my dogs that got it's front feet over a small tree, but was having a very hard time getting his rear legs over the log...I still have scary thoughts about what if I hadn't been there for my buddy. Again, thanks for the web links, experiences, and cautions so very much! and happy trails to the OP.

Of course by "roping" you may have been considering setting up a Tyrolean traverse. If so, be sure to experiment and condition your friend to life airborne prior to a traumatic first launching.

You might consider your dog as a section hiker.

I agree with getting a harness. Or, if your dog will be wearing a pack, that will function like a harness. My dog's has a D-ring and a handle on the back which came in handy for hoisting and stream crossings. Just attach his leash to that ring and attach the other end to your pack's waist belt for streams. I would only suggest this for a strong current/deep water. If your pooch can go it alone, that is the safest method. I also only did this when there was a rope strung across for me to hold onto. Use your best judgement. I also camped on river banks and waited for swells to die down before crossing, a good idea with or without a dog.
    The roughest terrain in the north is going to be in Western Maine. It is going to take you longer with a dog than hiking it alone, so be patient and take your time. I was also lucky enough to run into some kind dog lovers who offered to assist in dog-hauling over steep rock faces when a ladder just wasn't going to cut it.
    You will be surprised at what your dog can handle. There were times when I thought mine would need some major help and she just climbed up like a billy goat. Four legs are better than two.

++ New Posts ++