WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alabama Pinhoti info needed

We only have 5 days and are looking for the best section or loop to do in the time allowed.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

The most scenic section is the Adams Gap to Cheaha State Park but that is only 12 miles. There are not any long loops. You could do about a
    40 mile loop by starting at Adams Gap and hike north to Little Caney Head (6 miles). Take the trail to the right, the Odom Scout Trail, 4 miles to High Falls and camp. Next day backtrack 2 miles to the intersection of the Nubbin Creek Trail and hike it to the Cave Creek Trail. Hike the cave Creek trail (6 miles) to the intersection with the Pinhoti at Cheaha State Park. Hike the Pinhoti south to Little Caney Head (6 miles). At Little candy Head take the Chinnabee Silent Trail (pretty hiker along Cheaha Creek) to the Skyway Trail (6 miles). Ford Cheaha Creek and hike the Skyway Trail (6 miles) back to Adams Gap.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

431 (south 500 FS trailhead) To 278 (highpoint trailhead). might be my favorite if you plan to do 10 to 15 mile days 5 days is perfect.
    From Pawns to Prizes.

Thank you SouthMark and jdgrubbs I'll check that out.

Can you recommend parking and campsites not to be missed?

Seminoles

An on-line map that shows only the core Pinhoti trail... lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti
    "To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

Quote Originally Posted by gubbool View Post
    An on-line map that shows only the core Pinhoti trail... lifeat2mph.com/pinhoti
    There is a gpx file there that you can download onto your gps. Solo used a wheel and walked the entire trail. Everything of interest is marked on the file. It overlayed onto my topo files. EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Here is the link to Solo's revised web site with trail guide.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/...t-guides..html
    I am not young enough to know everything.

History records that Solo walked the Pinhoti with a measure wheel twice. Some people didn't believe the results of his first effort. As I recall, the difference was so small that it could have been attributed to the difference in the seasons.
    "To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you like everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

I just got back from doing a 3 day section 5 and 6. I used solos trailguide, shrank it down a little, and laminated it. It was invaluable to me. I knew exactly how far it was to water, so I knew how much to carry. I knew where the campsites were, road crossings, etc. It was my first solo, so it was also comforting to have that information.

What dates do you plan to hike?

++ New Posts ++