WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Permit question for yall

I'm currently filling out my permit and need some advice...

My first and second choice are both happy isles with a one day start difference....any other trail heads Yall can recommend for a sobo thru...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when are you planning your trip? i have a spot open on mine, step off date is june 13 though

H. I. is the only trailhead option that allows for an exit over Donahue Pass with the new quota system. The Lyell Canyon trsil head at Toulumne has a certain number of walk up permits, don't know if they have any reservable.

Quote Originally Posted by sonora pass resupply View Post
    H. I. is the only trailhead option that allows for an exit over Donahue Pass with the new quota system. The Lyell Canyon trsil head at Toulumne has a certain number of walk up permits, don't know if they have any reservable.
    I didn't realize this......Thx I guess I can cross that off as my second choice....thx

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    when are you planning your trip? i have a spot open on mine, step off date is june 13 though
    Thx for the great offer....I'm hoping to go in mid sept. I'm applying now if I don't get lucky and you still have the extra in a few days....I'll stay in touch..I see your in Fresno. I'm hoping to fly into Fresno and yarts is supposed to have a daily year round service starting soon....how long a trip to Yosemite? Thx sfsin

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Thx for the great offer....I'm hoping to go in mid sept. I'm applying now if I don't get lucky and you still have the extra in a few days....I'll stay in touch..I see your in Fresno. I'm hoping to fly into Fresno and yarts is supposed to have a daily year round service starting soon....how long a trip to Yosemite? Thx again

Images

You do not have to start at Happy Isle to get a Donahue Pass Permit. I applied for and received my permit for Toulumne Meadows to Whitney Portal no problem. Start date on this permit is August 5th.

This is not accurate. There are 3 JMT trailheads and all 3 work for the Donahue exit permit. Happy Isles, Glacier Point or Lyell Canyon all work.

From Yosemite website:

In order to receive a permit with Donohue Pass as your exit point from Yosemite, you MUST start at Lyell Canyon, Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley, or Sunrise Lakes. Other entrance trailheads will not be approved.

Lyell Canyon trailhead: Permits for 25 people, with 60% (15) available by reservation and 40% (10) available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley, Happy Isles pass-through, Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley, and Sunrise Lakes trailheads: Permits for 20 people, all of which are available by reservation. Late cancellations will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, although we don't expect any to be available most days.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmtfaq.htm
    Last edited by DLP; 03-27-2015 at 12:16.

Attempting to interpret the Yosemite website poor punctuation and wording...

Your trail-head and first night on the the trail options are:

1. Happy isles trail-head with a first night at either Little Yosemite Valley or pass through the Little Yosemite Valley/Half Dome area and camp beyond that, in the direction of either Merced Lake or Sunrise High Sierra Camp.
    2. Glacier Point trail-head with a first night at either Little Yosemite Valley or pass through the Little Yosemite Valley/Half Dome area and camp beyond that, in the direction of either Merced Lake or Sunrise High Sierra Camp.
    3. Sunrise Trailhead with a first night at about Sunrise Lake. (Entering via Sunrise trailhead you will initially be going towards Yosemite Valley but you can get on the JMT at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp and head towards Tuolumne Meadows.)
    4. Lyell Canyon trail-head with a first night at least 4 miles from Tuolumne Meadows.

All of the above work with the Donahue Pass exit permit.

20 total JMT permits per day are available for Happy Isles and Glacier Pt. and Sunrise. These are all to be reserved and there are no walk up permits for these 2 trailheads.

15 JMT permits per day may be reserved for Lyell Canyon and 10 Lyell Canyon permits are available for walk ups.

20+25=45 45 Exit permits per day will be issued for Donahue Pass.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DLP; 03-27-2015 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Attempting to interpret the Yosemite website poor punctuation and wording...

Your trail-head and first night on the the trail options are:

1. Happy isles trail-head with a first night at either Little Yosemite Valley or pass through the Little Yosemite Valley/Half Dome area and camp beyond that, in the direction of either Merced Lake or Sunrise High Sierra Camp.
    2. Glacier Point trail-head with a first night at either Little Yosemite Valley or pass through the Little Yosemite Valley/Half Dome area and camp beyond that, in the direction of either Merced Lake or Sunrise High Sierra Camp.
    3. Lyell Canyon trail-head with a first night at least 4 miles from Tuolumne Meadows.

All of the above work with the Donahue Pass exit permit.

20 total JMT permits per day are available for Happy Isles and Glacier Pt. These are all to be reserved and there are no walk up permits for these 2 trailheads.

15 JMT permits per day may be reserved for Lyell Canyon and 10 Lyell Canyon permits are available for walk ups.

20+25=45 45 Exit permits per day will be issued for Donahue Pass.

Hope this helps.
    So a cathedral lakes north to hi...then shuttle back to jmt must be Lyell canyon not cathedral lakes trail head?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    So a cathedral lakes north to hi...then shuttle back to jmt must be Lyell canyon not cathedral lakes trail head?
    Not sure I understand the question...

The Cathedral Lakes trailhead is not a recognized JMT trailhead. I believe that you are not eligible for the Dohahue exit permit if you enter the JMT via Cathedral Lakes and you will be hosed.

You will not go thru the Cathedral lakes area if you start at Lyell Canyon. Cathedral Lakes are between Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne.

I also made an error and the Sunrise trailhead is a 4th option. I'll edit and fix it above.

Not sure I understand the question...

The Cathedral Lakes trailhead is not a recognized JMT trailhead. I believe that you are not eligible for the Dohahue exit permit if you enter the JMT via Cathedral Lakes and you will be hosed.

You will not go thru the Cathedral lakes area if you start at Lyell Canyon. Cathedral Lakes are between Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne.

I also made an error and the Sunrise trailhead is a 4th option. I'll edit and fix it above.
    Sorry for the confusion....what I meant was hiking back to happy isles via jmt...from Lyell canyon or cathedral lakes then getting a separate permits from where we started but head south...to w

Images

That is correct Saltysack, for NOBO from Tuolumne Meadows put in for Cathedral Lakes Trailhead to Happy Isle. SOBO from Tuolumne Meadow put in for Lyell Canyon to Whitney Portal (or wherever you want to walk out from). They both start from the same place - Tuolumne Meadow.

By the way, each permit entitles you to a night at the 'Backpackers Campsite' the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    That is correct Saltysack, for NOBO from Tuolumne Meadows put in for Cathedral Lakes Trailhead to Happy Isle.
    I'd double check that this will work with the new Donahue Pass Exit...

Images

I'd double check that this will work with the new Donahue Pass Exit...
    Hi DLP, this is a separate permit. It does not involve Donahue Pass, no problem.

++ New Posts ++