WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer/Georgia questions

thanks so much for the advice! I have another question too. I was thinking I'd fly at first (I'm coming from New York City) but now I'm thinking driving get would be easier since I could just bring everything with me and not have to deal with checking my back back on a plane. it's a 14 hour drive to Spring Mountain tain for me and I'm planning on spending the night near the entrance and get a really early start the next day . So my first question is there a nice and not too expensive place to stay near the entrance to springer mountain? Is it safe to leave my car for 5 days in one of the parking lots? And lastly is there a shuttle service that would take me 60 miles from Unicoi Gap Back to wherever I will park near the entrance? thanks so much again.

Images

Give the Hiker Hostel a call (770) 312-7342

Images

Your best bet is to drive to The Hiker Hostel, spend the night, leave your car there, get a ride to Springer the next morning, and let them pick you up when you finish hiking. The HH is friendly, and they will make you a great breakfast to get you on the trail well-fed. It's a safe spot to leave your car, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Section Hiker

Yep, call Hiker Hostel, explain your plans, and they will help get it done for you. Amazing place, incredible breakfast!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

another advantage of using the Hiker Hostel as your base is that if your plans change, you can call them and they can pick you up at any of the road crossings. They are very close to Woody Gap and Neels Gap is just around the corner.

thank you so much! I did exactly that right after I posted my question. and they are incredibly nice and accomodating, exactly the peace of mind I need since this is my first time! so excited I can't wait to get out there!

They are nice and accommodating if you spend money with them. I asked once if I could pay to park and get a shuttle. I was rudely told only if bought a room for the night. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    They are nice and accommodating if you spend money with them. I asked once if I could pay to park and get a shuttle. I was rudely told only if bought a room for the night. No thanks.

The Hiker Hostel is a Hostel. They shuttle as a service to their guests. They are not a shuttle service. Sorry you were disappointed but as a business owner it makes perfect sense to me.

Images

the HH picked me up at train station. easy ride out of philly and i know its easy from philly to NY.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    The Hiker Hostel is a Hostel. They shuttle as a service to their guests. They are not a shuttle service. Sorry you were disappointed but as a business owner it makes perfect sense to me.
    Yes. They are a business. I offered to pay the amount of the room rate and anything extra and was still turned down. That's easy money. But they refused.

I am actually staying there so it's all good. it's the perfect place to begin and end my hike so I'm very satisfied.

From looking at their website,but not having yet called,I get the impression they do a couple of slack packing plans to various places including drop offs and pickups.I am wondering if an old guy wanted to spend a night at the hostel and about two or three nights leisurely strolling under load to a pickup point and then another night at the hostel if they would be up for that.No way I could walk the slack pack plans they have listed on their site in the time allowed.Anyone know if they will let you do a "custom plan"?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    From looking at their website,but not having yet called,I get the impression they do a couple of slack packing plans to various places including drop offs and pickups.I am wondering if an old guy wanted to spend a night at the hostel and about two or three nights leisurely strolling under load to a pickup point and then another night at the hostel if they would be up for that.No way I could walk the slack pack plans they have listed on their site in the time allowed.Anyone know if they will let you do a "custom plan"?
    If you are staying with them, they will always come and pick you up.
    They MIGHT charge you for it, it just depends on how far, are you the only person, etc. They PROBABLY will only charge you for the shuttle out the next day.

My shuttle to springer by them was quoted at $90. It cost me $7 after it was pro-rated with all the other people they shuttled that morning. They are extremely fair in my experience.

Thanks,Muddy.Looks like there is a plan developing now.

++ New Posts ++