WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Changing of Behaviors

Wanted to let everyone know how myself and my service dog have been doing over the past two weeks on the trail.

Encountered some odd behavior, my dog is getting territorial while at camp. He growls under his breath at certain individuals, and just recently snipped at a woman's face who he previously growled at (I was completely exhausted and had my back turned and wasn't paying attention when it happened - and feel absolutely horrible about it).

Obviously, this is behavior that I've never seen before from him. I immediately went off trail and called my trainer, who didn't necessarily consider the behavior negative, but informed me that he's basically 'alerting' to all the numerous smells, and sites that he encounters in the wild.

The behavior increases at night, and her explanation for this is because it is probably when most of the animals start coming out and getting closer to the humans on the trail. And, as a dog, he can sense and smell all of these animals and even though we can't see them as humans, he knows they're out there.

That being said, the behavior is not necessarily negative. If the alerts are happening and are unwarranted, then a correction is necessary. But if the alerts are not necessarily unwarranted, perhaps there is a shady individual around, then the behavior neither be reinforced or corrected. Perhaps the dog may need to be removed from the situation, and there will be more camping in our future than shelters, but until The behavior becomes a Radick or overly aggressive, she suggested that there be nothing to worry about at this time.

In summary, the behavior is natural - he is alerting to apparent dangers.

My two cents on the matter, is that when I returned to town today and was walking around and visiting various establishments with him, he was absolutely fine. He still responds to commands appropriately, does what he's supposed to when indoors and outside, and is following his training as if nothing is happened.

The snipping at the woman really rattled me at first, but I don't know who she was, what her background is, or what her intentions were. It was absolutely inappropriate for my dog, but I can't knock him for doing what he thought was best. It was my fault for not being more aware of the situation, something I must absolutely be aware of from now on.

Happy Hiking.

I'm confused as to why a service dog would be close enough to anyone's face to snip at them.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I'm a huge dog fan - but you should be tenting with your dog after that episode , WAY to close to people in shelters.

Images

Did you mean to say "Snap" as in lunging forward and snapping the jaws in an attempt to bite? An attack?

If this is the case, <how to say politely> if your dog snapped at me, in a place I was allowed legally and I was doing NOTHING wrong, I would have a HUGE, as in HAY - UGGE problem, regardless of what you or your trainer say. Anything in my hands at that time would become a way to neutralize the threat of a dog attacking me.

This is unacceptable behavior, in my opinion.

Not sure what else to say, as I'll be jumped by the pro-dog people.

Good luck. Hope you have a good lawyer on retainer.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I'm confused as to why a service dog would be close enough to anyone's face to snip at them.
    Spend a little time hiking with a dog and you will see some amazing acts of carelessness by other hikers. I routinely step well off the trail and have my dog heel when other hikers are approaching only to have folks step off the trail towards us with open hands outstretched and bending down to pet him. I don't appreciate strangers surprisingly sticking their fingers or faces in face and my pooch doesn't care for it either.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    Spend a little time hiking with a dog and you will see some amazing acts of carelessness by other hikers. I routinely step well off the trail and have my dog heel when other hikers are approaching only to have folks step off the trail towards us with open hands outstretched and bending down to pet him. I don't appreciate strangers surprisingly sticking their fingers or faces in face and my pooch doesn't care for it either.
    What should folks do? Ignore your dog? Just pass by as expediently as possible?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    If another hiker, dog or not stepped off trail to make extra space between themselves and another hiker, why would you intentionally approach them?

Why would you reach out to touch any animal you didn't know? Particularly one who's owner intentionally moved the animal away from you?

What should you do? Say hello if you want, stop and chat if you want, but ask before approaching someone who intentionally made more space between you and them, or before touching someone's dog. Just basic courtesy.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 03-23-2015 at 20:13.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

bemental,

You seem to be rationalizing/ justifying the poor behavior of your dog. Growling at or nipping at people around you is behavior that should be corrected not commended.

It doesn't matter if your dog is tired, hungry, cold or scared; if it injures someone that is poor ownership.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    If another hiker, dog or not stepped off trail to make extra space between themselves and another hiker, why would you intentionally approach them?

Why would you reach out to touch any animal you didn't know? Particularly one who's owner intentionally mkved the animal away from you?
    Yep. Good point and I totally agree. For whatever reason- I think that letting a dog smell me lets him "get to know me" and then trust is built. But after thinking about this for a while- have decided it's not a great idea. I shouldn't make an assumption. I'll keep this in mind and share it with my kids as well. Hike on.

Journal Entries

I was training my dog or trail last year. On a long pre-hike he came face to face with a coyote that was chasing a deer righ at us. It messed him up at night, he is OK in day. I left him at home, we spend 1/3 of our time on the AT in dark and around people who the trailis built for.

Hike On!!!

Miller

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Out just the other day with my 18 month old grandson at a local eatery with outdoor seating that allows dogs. A young woman was enjoying a cup with her dog at her side. My grandson, having a dog of his own he adores, automatically gravitated toward the dog. Before he could get too close to reach out I blocked his advance and asked the owner if it was okay for him to touch her dog. She was very appreciative that she was asked before lit' man was permitted to touch her pooch. The pup was indeed friendly and happily received the love and attention that little ones love give. Made for happy dog, dog owner, momma, grandma and lit man.

On and off the trail it is only polite to ask first. It could prevent an ugly occurrence.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    Out just the other day with my 18 month old grandson at a local eatery with outdoor seating that allows dogs. A young woman was enjoying a cup with her dog at her side. My grandson, having a dog of his own he adores, automatically gravitated toward the dog. Before he could get too close to reach out I blocked his advance and asked the owner if it was okay for him to touch her dog. She was very appreciative that she was asked before lit' man was permitted to touch her pooch. The pup was indeed friendly and happily received the love and attention that little ones love give. Made for happy dog, dog owner, momma, grandma and lit man.

On and off the trail it is only polite to ask first. It could prevent an ugly occurrence.
    Right on. I never realized I was encroaching. Now I do :-). I'll mind my manners! Best.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    I understand where you're coming from now, August. Good point. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Perhaps the dog may need to be removed from the situation, a.
    BINGO! You also need a new trainer.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

I understand where you're coming from now, August. Good point. -Chris
    Nice posts.

Journal Entries

If you dont want people to approach your dog, dont take it in public.
    People like dogs, dogs like people. Its what they do.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Nice posts.
    Ha! Thanks! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!? Funny how my behavior will have changed in a thread titled "Changing of Behavior". ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    A very good point. No dog should be close enough to anyone, and this is exactly why I frown upon any dogs on the trail being unleashed.

The women asked to pet him, and I wasn't paying attention. He was leashed, but I didn't go through the proper greeting procedures (place dog in sit, have stranger give a treat).

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    I'm a huge dog fan - but you should be tenting with your dog after that episode , WAY to close to people in shelters.
    I absolutely agree. The only reason I've been in any shelters at all is because my air mattress caught a hole I couldn't get patched.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Did you mean to say "Snap" as in lunging forward and snapping the jaws in an attempt to bite? An attack?

If this is the case, <how to say politely> if your dog snapped at me, in a place I was allowed legally and I was doing NOTHING wrong, I would have a HUGE, as in HAY - UGGE problem, regardless of what you or your trainer say. Anything in my hands at that time would become a way to neutralize the threat of a dog attacking me.

This is unacceptable behavior, in my opinion.

Not sure what else to say, as I'll be jumped by the pro-dog people.

Good luck. Hope you have a good lawyer on retainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    bemental,

You seem to be rationalizing/ justifying the poor behavior of your dog. Growling at or nipping at people around you is behavior that should be corrected not commended.

It doesn't matter if your dog is tired, hungry, cold or scared; if it injures someone that is poor ownership.
    Dave,

This is how I feel as well. The rationalizing is from the trainer, but I feel absolutely heart broken that these behaviors are creeping in.

I agree to an extent with what the trainer is explaining to me, but I do not approve of the behaviors themselves. Alerting me to dangers is a positive, but taking the alert to an actual attack because he feels unsafe? NOT OK.

I'm stuck in a catch 22. I can't be out here without the dog's help, but having the dog out here is changing the essence of the dog's behavioral being while on the trail.

-----

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Wanted to let everyone know how myself and my service dog have been doing over the past two weeks on the trail.

Encountered some odd behavior, my dog is getting territorial while at camp. He growls under his breath at certain individuals, and just recently snipped at a woman's face who he previously growled at (I was completely exhausted and had my back turned and wasn't paying attention when it happened - and feel absolutely horrible about it).

Obviously, this is behavior that I've never seen before from him. I immediately went off trail and called my trainer, who didn't necessarily consider the behavior negative, but informed me that he's basically 'alerting' to all the numerous smells, and sites that he encounters in the wild.

The behavior increases at night, and her explanation for this is because it is probably when most of the animals start coming out and getting closer to the humans on the trail. And, as a dog, he can sense and smell all of these animals and even though we can't see them as humans, he knows they're out there.

That being said, the behavior is not necessarily negative. If the alerts are happening and are unwarranted, then a correction is necessary. But if the alerts are not necessarily unwarranted, perhaps there is a shady individual around, then the behavior neither be reinforced or corrected. Perhaps the dog may need to be removed from the situation, and there will be more camping in our future than shelters, but until The behavior becomes a Radick or overly aggressive, she suggested that there be nothing to worry about at this time.

In summary, the behavior is natural - he is alerting to apparent dangers.

My two cents on the matter, is that when I returned to town today and was walking around and visiting various establishments with him, he was absolutely fine. He still responds to commands appropriately, does what he's supposed to when indoors and outside, and is following his training as if nothing is happened.

The snipping at the woman really rattled me at first, but I don't know who she was, what her background is, or what her intentions were. It was absolutely inappropriate for my dog, but I can't knock him for doing what he thought was best. It was my fault for not being more aware of the situation, something I must absolutely be aware of from now on.

Happy Hiking.
    I think it would be a smart choice not to camp at shelters until your dog gets more acquainted with all of its new friends and in time your dog will get accustomed to being in the woods and will not want to be anywhere else....

There are probably a number of things going on. First, you have removed the dog from his normal environment and is now in an unfamiliar one which is constantly changing. Different location, different people, new smells, sights and sounds. It all takes some getting used to. I understand the weather down there hasn't been very good either, being cold and wet much of the time. Then there are all the people. I bet at the end of the day your dog is very tired, cold, wet and hungry - which makes for a very irritable disposition.

I seem to remember you had him carrying a pretty heavy pack. Loose the pack, cut down on the miles and keep away from the crowded shelters. He may eventually get used to the new life style, but some dogs just don't. Yours maybe one of them. If the dogs behavior continues like it is, no doubt people are going to start complaining about it behind your back, if they aren't already.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++