WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries

I've never had any bad experiences with dogs on the trail. This includes being barked at by leashed and unleashed furry friends- that really doesn't disturb me nor do I consider it a bad experience. I just don't approach those guys.

I've never camped with dogs. Neither on sections or the thru. Was SOBO so it was rare to see people let alone dogs.

My interaction with dogs is all while hiking. If I'm standing there talking with the owner, as is most often the case, if the dog is smelling at me or straining to get to me to smell me, I let the dog smell me and if that goes well, I pet. I feel pretty bad about this now. I never got permission and I didn't realize how badly it could upset some folks. *Thanks* to the knowledge and passions shared here- I've learned and will modify.

In the same situation, while talking to the owner, if the dog doesn't exhibit any signs at all of having anything to do with me- I would *not* approach the guy. I would make the assumption that the dog either does not like me or is scared. In this case, I always try to start moving up the trail as quickly as possible. I do this because I feel it's easier on everyone- especially the animal, as the stressful situation it found itself in came to an end...(I'm gone).

My initial reaction to August was knee-jerk and I hope amends have been made.

To the OP, bemental- it's great to hear the changes you've implemented are having a positive effect. I'm betting that continuous tweaks along the trail will keep him a happy pooch and it'll work out. Best of luck! Sorry for the thread tanget. Rooting for ya'll on the your adventure.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not the most popular opinion, but if someone hikes with a dog, it is probably easier to just tent it. And away from group areas at that.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

As a WB Lurking to Learn person I don't often feel compelled to comment in these forums.However,I think it is not only rude to pet someone else's pet,it's pretty stupid.You don't know the dog,the dog certainly does not know you,and it's really none of your business or right to touch it.And for a dog owner to not have their animal on a leash and at least held or tied where it cannot get to other people,some of whom have serious fears that the dog can sense,is totally irresponsible and stupid in light of liability and the highly litigious society in which we live.And if you have an animal that can be aggressive then they make a very handy device called a muzzle that can prevent problems before they happen.That said,I love dogs.Not gonna touch yours 'cause it ain't mine,and I sure don't want to be harassed by yours either but support your decision to bring it along.Bottom line is that most "dog problems" really are the fault of people involved most of the time,but certainly not always.

I really don't get people's pretentious attitudes regarding their dogs. I also don't get all the online controversy about hiking with a dog. The etiquette just seems so simple:

-Keep your dog on a leash unless you are sure you're isolated from others. Not everyone likes dogs.
    -Keep your dog out of shelters unless the crowd approves or you have it to yourself
    -Expect people to want to pet and/or feed your dog. Tell them if it's not okay.
    -Clean up after your dog and dont let it run roughshod over everyone else's business.

Weird---to me---is bringing your dog out hiking or in a public space where people congregate and being put-off or even UPSET someone tries to pet your dog. GTFO. It's a dog. That's like going out on trail and being upset someone tries to start a conversation with you. If you're that neurotic go hike in Greenland.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    That's total BS. Show me credible scientific proof that dogs have a sixth sense and can somehow peer into the future and predict what someone is going to do in the future. They are animals with personalities just like people and sometimes they just don't like someone.
    Just telling you my experience. It's not a sixth sense, it's that they pay attention to clues that we don't pay attention to or that we can't notice. My guess is that it's more than likely related to the smell that some people give off--related to fear, etc. which we can't smell, and probably noticing body language that we just don't notice. A dog's olfactory system is roughly 40 times as sensitive as ours. They can sense adrenaline and other hormones that we don't sense.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Thanks for keeping the thread going everyone. I'm checking in when I can.

Reducing the pup's weight and camping away from shelters seems to be helping immensely, on both our nerves.

I'll continue to post updates as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Thanks for keeping the thread going everyone. I'm checking in when I can.

Reducing the pup's weight and camping away from shelters seems to be helping immensely, on both our nerves.

I'll continue to post updates as they come.
    Good luck on your hike. I hope all goes well with your service dog, they are special creatures for sure.

Thank you very much for your time you served our country.
    Biil, northern Michigan.

This is just a shot in the dark by a dog lover. The dog's space at home is normally very well defined. The perimeter of the yard or something similar. But now the dog is in unfamiliar territory and the dog may not understand where the boundaries are at any given moment. Kind of if you are in my space you are in my face. My dogs when I was a boy did not bother anyone out side the yard but when going somewhere the allowable distance from us and an intruder so to say shrunk considerably. Do not have an answer on how to fix, just my thoughts. Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post

My initial reaction to August was knee-jerk and I hope amends have been made.

No problem here. I have made more than a couple knee jerk reactions in my time. It happens to the best of us! I think there are some very useful opinions being shared in this thread.

Journal Entries

I do too! Thanks, August!

I've been around service dogs and that behavior is never allowed. If service dogs start growling and snapping at people then pretty soon there will be a move to not allow them into into areas other dogs aren't allowed. A service dog is for support, not protection. I think you need to get your dog evaluated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2c View Post
    I've been around service dogs and that behavior is never allowed. If service dogs start growling and snapping at people then pretty soon there will be a move to not allow them into into areas other dogs aren't allowed. A service dog is for support, not protection. I think you need to get your dog evaluated.
    Jake,

You've stated the obvious. The question is what to DO about it while ON the trail.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

bemental,

I'd like to learn more about the training you and your dog went through.
    Where did you do service dog training?
    How long does it take?
    How much does it cost?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    bemental,

I'd like to learn more about the training you and your dog went through.
    Where did you do service dog training?
    How long does it take?
    How much does it cost?
    In brief:

I worked with a trainer on the weekends in a group setting, in which we would get 'homework' that we'd practice throughout the week. We (the dog and I) went through basic, intermediate, and advanced obedience classes first, then moved on to specifics of service dog training (working in public: grocery stores, restaurants, etc. ). Finally, we moved on to our specific service dog tasks.

Our training took over 4 months of multiple sessions per week.

The majority of dogs are paid for through charitable organizations and donations. Some trainers charge for training, the economics require it, but bewary of anyone 'selling' a service dog. While dollar amounts will get tossed around based on time invested ("this is a $125,000 dog"), from my understanding it is against the social grain to sell a service dog.

Finally, you can either go the route I went (train together with an untrained on partially trained dog), or be the recipient of a already trained dog. In the latter case, organizations will typically require the handler to go through a finishing school themselves so they both understand the capabilities of the dog, as well as the appropriate commands, handling, expectations, etc.

Sounds to me a though the dog is guarding you.
    If you believe that's possible then the problem is that you have allowed the dog to take the role of leader
    Understandable considering the amount of energy you'll have left each day.

But if this is the case then the behaviour you need to correct is yours not the dogs

Maybe you should get a different trainer. It is unacceptable for your service dog to show aggression like that. I have couple of questions 1) what does your service dog help you with 2) did your trainer help prepare your dog for being out on the trails? A good trainer would have taken you and the dog out on trails and exposed him to likely situations before every recommending that you take your dog out on the AT. I am planning on taking our German shepherd out on a section hike in September and we are already teaching him to carry a pack with his own food and water. We take him out on trails and expose him to situations he is likely to encounter. We teach him how to climb over obstacles, not to drink out of water sources without permission, to leave things on command, to sleep in a tent, to come on command and most importantly we teach a friend command. A friend command teaches the dog to allow any person you say is a friend to touch him without showing aggression.A service dog is not a personal protection dog and he should be corrected for showing aggression towards another person. I think your dog is stressed because he does not know how to handle all the things that go along with being out on the trail.People of all shapes and sizes, packs and trekking poles can all upset dogs that are not trained to accept them. Not to mention all the different animals and scents he will encounter. Walking long miles each day and sleeping out in a tent or shelter is stressful to a dog that hasn’t learned how to deal with them. If you dog continues to show signs of stress or aggression towards other people it might be best to get him off the trail until you can do some additional training and better prepare him to be out there with you.

Dogs do not have a sixth sense but what they can do is read body language far better then humans can and they can also detect the difference in body odors that happen when a person or animal gets angry, anxious fearful or is about to become aggressive.

It seems like the OP is on top of all this. I hope the dog is able to adapt to the trail environment.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    or maybe the dog is tired, confused and pissed. longest walk its ever been on and maybe misses its home.
    exactly!!! The dog never asked to go on a2100mile hike. He is walking with you because you are his best friend and will be loyal to you no matter how long the hike is. Hope the dog gets used to the routine. I know I like hiking with my dog but I would never thru with mine. Just too tough on the animal. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Not the most popular opinion, but if someone hikes with a dog, it is probably easier to just tent it. And away from group areas at that.
    I think this is an obvious choice. When my dog does get to hike with me, we always tent as to not to impose my desire for my dog on someone else. Never had a problem. Some dog don't like some people and some people just don t like dogs.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++