WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru-Hike Mileage Plans (Available Resources)

Hi, everyone! Just a quick question for all out there--

I've been searching around for plans that recommend distances to travel day to day in order to ensure both a comfortable hike, but also a challenging hike. Because of my own nervousness, I know that I'd be happier if I knew that I could set myself some waypoints during the hike (I clearly know that all of this is going to change over the time when I am hiking, but it's the proverbial carrot that keeps goading me on). The A.T. Guide website has a really good one for around 18 miles/day which I like right now, as it averages the 18 miles per day by having the times change over the course of the hike.

Would you all say that the best places to look, other than these ones that are sort of made for the general public those that are in successful thru-hike trail journals? I'd love to be able to average around 22 miles a day, myself, just because I would really like to finish the trail by the beginning of July. Just wondering about the resources available to us!

Much appreciated!

C.

You are young. I'm much older. Check out my schedule in my signature line. I averaged 14.4 mpd on my hike. Use that as a reference knowing that you can go further/faster.

There is also a series of suggested itineraries at the AT Guide's website - 12, 15, & 18 mpd. Also good reference points.

I'd recommend you not go too fast or too hard at the very beginning unless you are already in uber-hiking shape.

Good luck on your hike.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Look at Table 2 in this article (from WB's own article section over in the left hand column of the front page):

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/44

It shows the miles per hiking day for the "average" NOBO completing thru-hiker for 11 distinct sections of the AT. The average number of hiking days for the group in that article is 148. But if you average 22 miles per day for the whole trail that would get you done in 100 days. Divide 148 by 100. This leaves you with a factor of 1.48. Now multiply every figure in Table 2 (in the Miles Per Hiking Day column) by 1.48. Or better yet, I'll do it for you. This is what you get:

14.9 miles per day -- Springer to GA/NC border
    17.8 miles per day -- GA/NC border to Fontana NC
    20.7 miles per day -- Fontana to Damascus VA
    23.5 miles per day -- Damascus to Waynesboro VA
    24.9 miles per day -- Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry WV
    24.9 miles per day -- Harpers Ferry to Delaware Water Gap PA
    23.8 miles per day -- DWG to Kent CT
    22.9 miles per day -- Kent to Glencliff NH
    16.9 miles per day -- Glencliff to Gorham NH
    18.5 miles per day -- Gorham to Stratton ME
    21.8 miles per day -- Stratton to Katahdin

That's 100 days on the trail at about 22 miles per day. Warning!: hiking it on paper is easier than hiking it for real.

In Table 4 in the same article you can find itineraries for four different hypothetical hikes, with the fastest one being a four month hike. If you want to see a trail journal for a hike that's close to your projected speed, look at this one for WB member "Garlic" (107 days with 3 zero days):

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6620
    Last edited by map man; 03-06-2015 at 09:18.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Journal Entries

To hike a long distance hike, you will have to get over the type A personality tendency to have everything planned out.

Its simply not possible.

Start walking, meet others, have good time. Thats about all there is to it.

++ New Posts ++