WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Current trail conditions - Del. Water Gap (NJ side)

Can anyone give me a first hand report on the current (first week of March 2015) trail conditions? Snow depth on approaches / ridgelines? Ice conditions?

I'm heading out in a few days and am trying to make the right call re. gear.

I know the area and have a sense of what to expect but I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually been on the trail in the last week or so.

I've also looked at some of the north NJ snow-cover-depth maps on the internet but I don't feel like any of them are accurate - if someone has one that they know is accurate or pretty close to it please share the link.

Thanks!

I don't know, but aren't you guys getting a big snow storm tonight and it's gonna get cold again once it passes through?

My guess is with all the thaw/freeze cycles going on down there you'd best be ready for some serious ice.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It's supposed to be in the 40s and 50s all next week. Lots of ice and mud.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    It's supposed to be in the 40s and 50s all next week. Lots of ice and mud.
    maybe next week, but the weather channel shows 4-8" of snow through the middle of NJ tonight, followed by temps in the 20's straight threw the weekend. The real warm up doesn't happen for another week or two - hopefully.

Red Foot, I'd wait another week or two unless you got winter gear and microspikes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the concern guys. I have been hiking in the mid-Atlantic all winter and I'm all set for gear. I don't mind cold, mud, snow, ice, etc. but I prefer to know which to expect.

What I'm most in need of is first-hand, eye-witness, detail on the current trail. If someone has been out on that chunk of the AT, let me know what I'm in for.

Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by Red Foot View Post
    Thanks for the concern guys. I have been hiking in the mid-Atlantic all winter and I'm all set for gear. I don't mind cold, mud, snow, ice, etc. but I prefer to know which to expect.

What I'm most in need of is first-hand, eye-witness, detail on the current trail. If someone has been out on that chunk of the AT, let me know what I'm in for.

Thanks-
    give "Edge of the woods" a call.

http://www.edgeofthewoodsoutfitters.com/

Rocketsocks - thanks, that's great advice. I have them on my shuttle short-list but didn't think to ask them about the conditions.

Given that it's currently snowing, I'd wait to ask.

++ New Posts ++