WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Speed Laces?

Default Speed Laces?

Does anyone use speed laces in their hiking shoes?
    Boomer's Blog | Attempting to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail on an impulse…

https://wanderingboomer.wordpress.com/

Personally, I'm more concerned about weight than areodynamics.

Hahaha. Great response. I just didn't know if there's any value for the triathlon type laces on a thru-hike. I use them on my running shoes and I picked up a pair of shoes for my thru-hike and was just wondering if anyone had used them for hiking.
    Boomer's Blog | Attempting to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail on an impulse…

https://wanderingboomer.wordpress.com/

I think you'd find you'd fight with them. If you didn't get them free with a pair then don't spend the money.
    personally I like to use my laces to fine tune the fit of a shoe and the few pairs I've had with this type of system ended up with plain laces.

Hell- the Hoka's I tried came with regular laces right in the box- that's pretty clear indication that most people don't like them.

You can "make your own" with a decent cordlock too if you want to try it out.

I've used speed laces sparingly, and only in running shoes.

I'm with Bill - the art of lacing one's boots does not meld well with speed laces.

Images

I used them on a few pairs a few years ago. Over time I learned that there is a definite art to tying shoes. The problem with speed laces is the tension is the same on all eyelets. I generally tie a knot halfway up the shoes to allow me to tighten the bottom parts of the laces and leave the top loose. I have even done the reverse at times.

While I thought the speed laces would be more consistent it really, in the end, didn't matter.

Journal Entries

I cant even stand the thin flat laces many shoes come with now. I dont want my whole shoe to tighten up every time i tie my shoes. I like the round laces and eyelets that hold a lace tightness at forefoot when you get it where you like it.

Regular old shoelaces for me. Might even start hiking in sandals

But yeah, waste of money imo. Tying your shoes is just want you do in the AM

++ New Posts ++