WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 Ridges Hiking in March

Does anyone know what the hiking conditions are for Three Ridges in early March? Is there a lot of snow? Im looking to do a day hike and end the day at Devil's Backbone Brew.

Thanks!

We did get a considerable amount of snow here - 4-6 inches still on the ground in some places here today. There are two days next week that are supposed to reach 50 and bring rain, which should wash most of the remaining snow away. Trailwise, I haven't been on, but I would surmise that your bigger issue will be mud than snow. Shady spots might still have some pockets of snow, but the mush/mud would be more prevalent. The south end of your hike will have gotten more snow than the north end most likely. Hope that helps!

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

We had two snow falls this last week, but rain and much warmer weather for Monday through Wed. (It should be close to 70 in Richmond on Wed.) The section of the trail I maintain for the ODATC is only about 15 miles from the three ridges. After Wednesday, I expect there will be little to no snow.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Also, check the Blue Ridge Parkway website. They close the BRP for any snow or ice, because they don't plow (unlike the Shenny's).
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    We did get a considerable amount of snow here - 4-6 inches still on the ground in some places here today. There are two days next week that are supposed to reach 50 and bring rain, which should wash most of the remaining snow away. Trailwise, I haven't been on, but I would surmise that your bigger issue will be mud than snow. Shady spots might still have some pockets of snow, but the mush/mud would be more prevalent. The south end of your hike will have gotten more snow than the north end most likely. Hope that helps!
    Hi neighbor! Surprised to see somebody else from BV on here.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

++ New Posts ++